Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2015, 1:46 pm

Tips to Survive Police Encounters for Young Black Males

I sometimes quietly talk to myself while taking walks or make hand motions which are part of the conservation. So, even though these tips are for young black men, these tips might well apply to anyone who is perceived as different for any reason. These tips include:

do not argue with the police. You will not win the argument, and it's a losing proposition to start.

If asked for ID, perhaps say, 'Officer, I will need to reach into my back pocket. Is that okay?' or, 'I will need to reach into the glove compartment. Is that okay?' [And if there's a gun in the glove compartment, tell the officer. And in that case, maybe just don't reach in. 'Officer, I'm going to keep my hands right here. There's a gun in the glove compartment. I'm not going to reach in. I'm sorry.']

If the officer begins to arrest you, do not physically resist. Again, it's a losing proposition to even start.

===========

Now, later on. You could make an appointment for you and an ally to go down and talk with a police lieutenant or chief or someone involved in community relations. And it is more effective if you have an ally physically present and with you (and I wish we had Autism Networking and Resource groups which could help with this). And/or hire an attorney if that seems like a winning move. But an encounter out in the field is not the time to do any of this.