Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 6:06 am

Is this a common symptom for those on the spectrum to exhibit?

I am trying to learn about bookkeeping, but as soon as I read something it seems to dissipate from my mind almost instantaneously. The same seems to occur when I am listening to something. It's as if I am immune to retaining information. Whilst I am able to communicate with other human beings, I do often ponder if I am a man with a very low IQ.

It's extremely disheartening and I often contemplate suicide because of my lack of intellect. If I were a neurotypical, it would be easier for me to overlook my intellectual shortcomings. But alas, I am autistic and do not believe I can survive in the world without being dependent on my parents.

Uncle
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 6:21 am

I get this often... I have somewhat narrowed it down to a probability that subconsciously i may not be interested in what i am reading and what i am doing and to conserve energy i am not retaining the information ( or possibly thinking of something else that might excite my neurons ) . Because in many other areas i can retain information without much fault.... I am still working on working that one out! lol ... But thats the best explanation that i can come up with at the moment... No, I dont believe its lack of intelligence.
I just call them mind farts. :mrgreen:

davidmcg
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Mar 2017, 6:28 am

I can relate. If someone tells me something I'm not interested in, then I'll forget it regardless of how important it is...that's the same with a lot of people I think...not related to intellect.

NikNak
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Mar 2017, 8:25 am

I think there's been evidence that working memory can be impaired in ASD but you'd have to check.

We're also less likely to retain information if we're tense/ stressed and given those feelings are common amongst us that could be a cause?

I had testing done some time ago, not sure it tested working memory specifically but I had a couple of discrepancies. I have some difficulties but not sure what the cause is- attention, interest, motivation? Could be anything...

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 10:00 am

Testing showed that the discrepancy between my intellect and my working memory occurs in only 0.9% of the population. I used to hit myself because of how stupid I thought I was. I also got a bogus initial diagnosis of ADD. I definitely know what you're feeling.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2017, 3:33 pm

Low Working memory is a key symptom of executive dysfunctions a common co-morbid of autism.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman