Excellent study shows Aspies have more empathy

Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2015, 2:23 am

dryope wrote:
I love your username!

Thanks I got it from the 1980s D&D animated-series which is my favorite cartoon(I just like the show not the game).

dryope
Toucan
Toucan

13 Apr 2015, 2:28 am

I know! I am a big Venger fan. :skull: !

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2015, 2:44 am

Venger wrote:
dryope wrote:
Yes, NTs can seem really callous, talking about emotional things and then just shrugging them off. I don't get it.

I think the internet in general is actually strong evidence that NTs often feel less empathy than autistics, but "fake-it" more IRL to abide by their unwritten social-rules. The vast majority of all those countless rude people you come across on the internet are no doubt NTs being their true semi-evil selves. :?

IMO having a lot of empathy does not make somebody a better person nor influence these decisions, especially online.

How can 'too much' empathy strictly be a good thing? (Genuine question, not rhetorical)

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2015, 2:58 am

Norny wrote:
How can 'too much' empathy strictly be a good thing? (Genuine question, not rhetorical)

Well it isn't since it often makes the person in question feel guilty over bad/negative occurrences that aren't even their fault.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2015, 3:07 am

Most people's reports of too much empathy seem like emotional dysregulation, and usually seem focused on own emotions, not so much understanding others.

Andrejake
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2015, 7:02 am

btbnnyr wrote:
Most people's reports of too much empathy seem like emotional dysregulation, and usually seem focused on own emotions, not so much understanding others.

Agree.
Not to mention that having too much empathy does not means at all that you are good at dealing with it. You may be a very empathetic person and still "look like a robot" to the others. Know this from my own experience.

Suncatcher
Toucan
Toucan

13 Apr 2015, 3:49 pm

btbnnyr wrote:

I can understand where you are coming from.

I also have alot of empathy. If someone feels sad, i usually feel just as sad. However, there are also alot of times where there is a slight delay in feeling what others are feeling and connect to them. For example, if they tell me about something that happened which made them feel sad without telling much of the details, i keep asking questions, sometimes too many questions, to get a complete oversight over the situation. Then i place myself in that person as if i were standing in that person's shoes and imagine what i would feel like.

This 'delayed' empathy happens mostly with people i dont really know.. but for people really close to me, i have no problem connection to them and feel what they feel just by looking at them. Sometimes i am overwhelmed by this too. A good explanation for this might be that i just know people who are close to me better than the average joe walking down the street, after so many years of having them in my life, i no longer need to ask stupid questions to get a better insight before i can connect. I already know what is going on in their lifes so connecting is very easy.

I too have observed NT's shrugging off emotions and then pretending they no longer care by suddenly switching subjects. That is just impossible for me.. and for some reason i find myself in an infinite loop trying to get back to previous subject because i am still experiencing all these emotions.

NotaHero
Toucan
Toucan

13 Apr 2015, 4:49 pm

Suncatcher wrote:
I too have observed NT's shrugging off emotions and then pretending they no longer care by suddenly switching subjects. That is just impossible for me.. and for some reason i find myself in an infinite loop trying to get back to previous subject because i am still experiencing all these emotions.

I've noticed this a lot too and what I picked up from the article that relates to my experience is that I do seem to get over whelmed by people's emotions and it usually takes me a while to let it go.

I'm not sure if it's empathy or what not, but I do think of experiences, like I can walk along a road normally, but if I go along a busy road in rush hour and can feel the tension, the anger and the frustration and I find I need to get off the main road, even though I'm not caught up in the traffic. It also fits to finding eye contact to intense, which is why I struggle with it.