Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

rugulach
Toucan
Toucan

11 Apr 2015, 9:40 pm

to become an expert at any given subject (picked at random) than an ASDer? Or is it the other way around?

Your experiences or thoughts?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2015, 12:39 am

I think someone with AS might be more fixated on whatever subject, but other than that I don't think there's much difference.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2015, 12:48 am

The advantages of a non-autistic person is the ability to be flexible, to more comfortably manage human interactions involved in becoming an expert, to exploit opportunities etc.

The advantage of an autistic person is the ability to focus on the subject intensely for a long time if it interests it.

Considering the above, I have to say it's highly dependent on the subject picked and the individual...

I guess I don't have a simple answer for that.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2015, 7:18 pm

rugulach wrote:
to become an expert at any given subject (picked at random) than an ASDer? Or is it the other way around?

Who's picking the subject? The person doing the studying, or someone else?

With self-chosen subjects, ASDers on average would definitely find it easier (matching for IQ, of course) because they'd probably pick a subject that's an intense interest.

If someone else dictates the subject, unless it happens to be an interest of the ASDer, the NT would find it easier because most ASDers have executive dysfunction, which makes it harder to force yourself to do something without internal motivation.

Wrenton
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Apr 2015, 11:44 pm

jk1 wrote:
The advantages of a non-autistic person is the ability to be flexible, to more comfortably manage human interactions involved in becoming an expert, to exploit opportunities etc.

The advantage of an autistic person is the ability to focus on the subject intensely for a long time if it interests it.

Considering the above, I have to say it's highly dependent on the subject picked and the individual...

I guess I don't have a simple answer for that.

That's why I cant keep a job.. when I lose interest that's it I'll start lazying off or zone out a lot more often and be on cruse control becasue once its starts its all down hill : (
Luckily here are some things that Do interest me no matter what happens...

Video Games (RPG, MMO's)

Animation (Cartoons, Anime)

Pro Wrestling (Attitude Era type like NJPW, RoH, TNA, LU)

Books (Manga, Comics, Harry Potter, Eragon, etc)

Women (Still single but hoping when I do find that person or if she finds me, I can be Super Boyfriend/Husband/Lover,etc.)

I am at THAT line between Mostly Autistic or Aspie it's really hard to differentiate between the two; That's probably why when I was young they were either trying to diagnose me still OR Studying me.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2015, 8:32 am

In total effective hours, i think that there won't be too much of a difference.
However, the ASD ability to hyperfocus will allow the autistic to spend the same amount of effective hours in a smaller amount of days.

so, in terms of time spent: equal, in actual calendar days, the ASDer will (likely) be faster

jimmyboy76453
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2015, 9:02 am

izzeme wrote:
In total effective hours, i think that there won't be too much of a difference.
However, the ASD ability to hyperfocus will allow the autistic to spend the same amount of effective hours in a smaller amount of days.

so, in terms of time spent: equal, in actual calendar days, the ASDer will (likely) be faster

Exactly. We don't learn faster, just in more-concentrated sessions when we're interested. If we're not interested, we may drag ourselves through it VERY VERY slowly, if at all. That would be me in World History & Geography class. I flew through self-taught Algebra through college-level 1, and I took every English class the school offered (more than double the required credits) before I graduated, but I took over a month to do one week's worth of work in WH & G, and I barely passed every test I took (my average test score for every other class put together was 99%) Boooooring!! !!

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2015, 9:46 am

I doubt there would be much difference on average, and I think its standard deviation would be colossal.

So much would depend on the individuals, the subject, and the conditions.

Ettina wrote:
If someone else dictates the subject, unless it happens to be an interest of the ASDer, the NT would find it easier because most ASDers have executive dysfunction, which makes it harder to force yourself to do something without internal motivation.

Yes I think that natural interest would have a big effect. I've never seen an explanation for it before. Any info on how that works?

rugulach
Toucan
Toucan

13 Apr 2015, 6:25 pm

Ettina wrote:
rugulach wrote:

Who's picking the subject? The person doing the studying, or someone else?

Someone else.