Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

davethecave
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Mar 2007, 12:05 pm

I`ve been watching Derrin Brown and Paul mckenna videos ion youtube,

Just wondered if hypnosis or suggestion either therapeutic or for entertainment would work with people with autism.
Has anyone used hypnosis to give up smoking for example? Or taken part in a stage hypnosis show?

Erilyn
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Mar 2007, 12:15 pm

I’ve never been hypnotized, but I’ve always felt it wouldn’t work on me. I’ve been to a couple of stage shows, and I’ve always wondered how much of it is just an act. I just can’t believe that the power of suggestion could affect anyone that strongly!

NoCriminalIntent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Mar 2007, 12:39 pm

I cant be hynotized, and it led me to believe that one of the aspects of my autism is that I am already more open brain wise, taking massive amouints of data in, and throwing that into a brain that is acutely aware of more than "normal" people, with a sub conscious that isnt totally sub. Its like a cloud bank Im aware of with bits and pieces jumping into full consciousness from time to time. So I think that theres no place really hidden to me, except deep memories that are possibly related to previous lifetimes.

Or I could be full of s**t. One never knows these days.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

20 Mar 2007, 12:53 pm

i cant get hypnotized at all. i dont really know how some people can get that so easily. must be some uncoincious thingy going on there that i dont have

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2007, 1:12 pm

Well, I guess I have kind of been hypnotized. It makes you MORE suggestive, etc... But it isn't supposed to be able to make ANYONE do anything really against their wishes. Heck, they couldn't even get me to talk about marijuana. Products claiming to work this way ask you to give them a month of religious use!

I WISH they worked! I could stand to lose some wieght. My father went to a class, taught by pat collins:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0172586/bio

She couldn't help his smoking problem!

BTW I have ALWAYS been aware of what has gone on.

Steve

NoCriminalIntent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Mar 2007, 1:55 pm

SteveK wrote:

Steve

You mean while you were being hypnotized. Thats what its like for me. The person can take me into different parts of me, but Im aware theyre doing it the whole time. So in essence all that is being done is a kind of gestalt dream excursion kind of thing. Ive never actually fallen under

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2007, 2:38 pm

NoCriminalIntent wrote:
SteveK wrote:

Steve

You mean while you were being hypnotized. Thats what its like for me. The person can take me into different parts of me, but Im aware theyre doing it the whole time. So in essence all that is being done is a kind of gestalt dream excursion kind of thing. Ive never actually fallen under

YEP, EXACTLY!

Steve

Diamonddavej
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2007, 9:50 pm

I read a book on hypnosis when I was 10, and practised self-hypnosis. Not sure if it worked on me, though.

A few years ago I hypnotised a friend, I made her think that she was a Klingon on the bridge of on a Klingon Bird of Prey. I already knew she spoke some Klingon, she was obsessed with Star Trek DS9.

So there she was, unable to speak intelligible English, getting frustrated that she could only speak was Klingon, it was so funny. She then got angry because I could not understand her. Before she got too angry I made her wake up. She later said that she was close to hitting me, Klingons have a bad temper.

MomofTom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2007, 9:55 pm

When I was trying hard to be social, I volunteered to go up onstage for a demonstration with a group of people.

It did not work and I had to end up acting silly with everyone else, just like the hypnotist was trying for.

TG
Toucan
Toucan

20 Mar 2007, 10:27 pm

MomofTom wrote:
When I was trying hard to be social, I volunteered to go up onstage for a demonstration with a group of people.

It did not work and I had to end up acting silly with everyone else, just like the hypnotist was trying for.

My God, that sounds like my life...!
HA!

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2007, 8:58 pm

I had a friend who was not a mere hypnotist, but a Nilper. I don't think he ever actually got me into trance.

However, I have used NLP techniques on myself to some effect.

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

lab_pet
Raven
Raven

21 Mar 2007, 10:02 pm

I am not hypnotizable. But, I can become deeply transfixed or "merge" with certain phenomena, such as flickering candlelight, white noise, endless loop screensavers, etc. Sublte but different thing entirely, yes?

........STARE DEEPLY INTO THE SWINGING PENDULUM......YOU'RE GETTING VERY SLEEPY......LISTEN TO MY VOICE.......SLOW DEEP BREATHS......GO INTO THAT SPECIAL PLACE......

Just testing you! Did you feel that? No?

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2007, 10:16 pm

I can hypnotize myself to a certain level (such as unable to feel pain) but no-one has ever been able to, even though I really wanted it. I think I'm unwilling to give up control deep down.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2007, 10:19 pm

I saw a hypnotist live.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2007, 10:34 pm

calandale wrote:
I can hypnotize myself to a certain level (such as unable to feel pain) but no-one has ever been able to, even though I really wanted it. I think I'm unwilling to give up control deep down.

Same here!

Steve

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2007, 10:40 pm

ahayes wrote:
I saw a hypnotist live.

I've never seen one dead.