Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

AC
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Apr 2007, 9:15 am

I am acutely sensitive to touch, the feel of things, etc.

I think it's perfectly natural though. If we were still hunter-gatherers, it would be a survival skill wouldn't it? In fact, I think we have hightened senses all round - we have acute hearing, we're more visual, etc

EarthCalling
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2007, 10:15 am

Paper Egg Cartons. Can't STAND THEM! Never have, never will.

It is an oddity though, most other things I respond normally to. As a child though, I would have meltdowns when my mom tried to "make me" get the eggs out of the fridge. I would refuse, and the whole thing would blow up!
:P

drummer_girl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Apr 2007, 2:39 pm

when i was younger ii never had a problem with clothes but i couldent stand ppl touching me or object touching me that i didnt give permission for thm to do so forst. i used to hit back and the people and the objects that would touch me without me asking or giving the permission to.

i still am like that alot but people know not to touch me without aking lol. and objects most fot eh time im more careful to avoid them thought i am still clumsy

my favorite things to touch is my american flags i love nylon and rayon ones epecailly i love wrapping it all round my body and feeling its smoothless all over me. i have a flag made out of cotton but iis not as tigtly woven so its very light and the 48 stars are handsewn on it thats my favorite flag of them all to wrap myself in and feel its just so warm and cuddly and soft and very slight feeling where the seams of the stripes and the stars are.... mmmmmm its just so good!

martin_nyc
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Apr 2007, 3:00 pm

Nothing is allowed to touch my neck, especially the front. I tug on shirts and sweaters to make them leave my neck alone. And if a PERSON touched my neck, they're in for a world of hurt followed by a period of profuse apologies.

Grim
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Apr 2007, 3:59 pm

I like most touch, I love firm hugs etc, I like any pressure on my head, I like pain to some exstent to. When I go into a fabrics shop or such, I get massive urges to touch everything. :oops:
However i hate anything on my feet, cannot stand socks on carpet, touching towls, cottonwool, chalk, paint...The list goes on a bit..

samizat

03 Apr 2007, 6:56 pm

As a person who works in an artistic field - pro writer and pro musician - I have had to learn to accept handshakes, but I still hate being touched in general, and I tend to hit if surprised. I like being touched by my fiancee but that was a learned thing. My list of touch sensation and texture problems is probably endless but just a few - I don't wear jewelry - not even a watch, I hate tight clothes and most cloth materials, I hate tucking my shirt in, I loathe turtlenecks and belts, even though I am skinny and keep hitching up my pants. I hate having my face or head covered by anything, even water. I learned how to swim with my face and head above the water at all times, and I don't like to wash my face although I have to.

I have to watch that stuff very carefully when talking to an editor or publisher.

And on the opposite side, I can't seem to stop touching furry or soft things, and sometimes I absolutely have to touch an object - for no reason I can fathom. Especially if it is soft, furry, or very texturally detailed.

nicklegends
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Apr 2007, 9:38 pm

Lightning88 wrote:
I hate being snuck up on and being tapped on the shoulder when I least expect it. One of my friends at school does this to me nearly everyday, and I jump every time! :x

Yeah, I hate that too. The one thing that I hate the most related to touch, though, is sweatshirts. They constrain all my other layers, I don't have as free movement of my arms... I just hate--yes, hate--sweatshirts. Jackets, on the other hand, are awesome because they tend to be lighter.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2007, 2:58 am

Chimaera1618 wrote:
When I'm sleeping, the blankets cannot cover (or touch) my hands or feet or I have panic attacks. It's always been that way. :P

I am similar to this
There is no problem for me when someone touches me . . . when I am awake.
When I am sleeping, any single touch, anywhere from feet to head, I wake up with a panic attack, its a very unpleasent feeling.

Are all of this touching problems are necessarily related to AS? what I mean is that are there aspies here that don't have any touching issue?

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2007, 3:01 am

Grim wrote:
When I go into a fabrics shop or such, I get massive urges to touch everything.

Gods, I'm often rubbing up against walls and trees - just to feel their solidity. Had the feet thing too, but I keep my place so cold that I had to get over it.

Jimbogf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Apr 2007, 7:46 pm

I don't like to be touched, I flinch or duck out of the way when someone touches me. Also just like some of you have said, I can 'feel' where I was touched for an hour or two, very creepy.

T-shirts are a problem. If I feel that my shirt is binding or pressing against my skin. I have to adjust it, If I can't adjust it so it's comfortable, I freak out.

I have to wear slip on saddles in my home all the time. I hate the feeling of carpet and especially linoleum flooring on my bare feet. :x

In middle school I had this nylon coat that I wore almost everyday. The end of the sleeve was stretchy like a nylon scrunchy and was very irritating. So I kept it rolled up, apparently people made fun of me for it, I would just explain how itchy and irritating it was. Why did they even care FFS?

Erilyn
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Apr 2007, 11:15 am

I have major touch issues. Most clothes bother me, especially tight waistbands. I hate walking around in socks or bare feet – if I’m not wearing shoes or hard-soled slippers I will walk on my toes. I hate getting anything greasy or sticky on my hands. When I sleep, I need to have some kind of blanket on me, even if the room is extremely warm; the blanket must NOT be tucked in; my feet MUST be covered; and I can’t wear pants, shorts, long nighties, or anything else that will twist around me when trying to sleep. I hate having anyone sitting or standing too close to me, and it’s far worse if some part of their body is actually touching me. I don’t mind hugs, but I can only “cuddle” for very short periods of time, and I can’t stand wet kisses.

SarahR
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Apr 2007, 11:24 am

aylissa wrote:
Don't like the feel of water, especially the cold that hits you when you get out of the water
Wet bathing suits - yuck
Wet hair or anything wet, really

Glad to know I'm not the only one who hates getting wet! (This makes cleanliness... shall we say, less than important to me?)

I also hate sitting close to people. Either I'm snuggling with you (which is unlikely unless you're my partner) or you need to keep your distance, capiche? Movie theaters with narrow armrests are really bad for this. Good thing I'm skinny.

On the other hand, I like touching things... I love running my hand along bricks or tile, pretty much anything a building is made of that isn't just painted over. Bark is nice, too.

RaoulDuke
Raven
Raven

05 Apr 2007, 11:51 am

I've always had very sensitive skin and touch. When I was younger, I was unable to wear certain types of shirts, and when my mother would do that thing to make me sit up straight (the running the finger up the spine), I would absolutely freak out.

Now my sense of touch is a bit dulled, but I'm still alot more sensitive than most people.

faith

05 Apr 2007, 9:43 pm

i HATE when ppl touch me when i dont know they are going to. if i now they are going to and i can see it coming then i dont mind. but i also hate tags on clothes and sheets or things like that brushing against me.

Mushroom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Apr 2007, 6:33 am

I hate tights and most gloves because they make my skin tickle. When I was younger I had some sort of a hat-like thing that covered my whole head except my eyes- my mom made me wear it in winter because it would keep my nose and ears from getting cold... and I really HATED it. I'd always take it off when my mom was out of sight and as a result, catch cold.

When it comes to human touch or something other than clothing, I sort of fit the criterion of disliking soft touch but having no problem with hard touch. I scream when somebody wants to surprise me and tickles me but I just rub my shoulder if someone punches it (my deskmate at school likes to do that as a joke)... and one day, when I was sick and had to inject drugs, a nurse was greatly amused by the fact that I jumped up when she applied the alcohol with a piece of cotton, but didn't even moved an eyebrow when she was injecting the drug into my ass.