Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 6:36 pm

As a child, gender meant nothing more to me than that of a physical state. I never really considered the gender of those I talked to more often, but I was around girls for the majority of my childhood, not many guys aside from my brother.

Now, as a teenager, I feel like it was wrong to say I'm male. I think that I'm supposed to be female.

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 7:06 pm

I have a woman's body, I don't think of myself much like one gender or the other outside of the body I am in.

It bothers me sometimes that I am only attracted to men because it...doesn't mesh with how I perceive gender and myself to be.

Poor motivation

Sunnyboy2
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 May 2015, 8:01 pm

I'm biologically female, and I don't identify well with my birth sex. I didn't really understand the differences in biological sex until I was possibly in 5th to 6th grade, where we were most definitely separated due to such biological differences (even then I guess I didn't really care to grasp it. I had no interest). I was very rough and tumble as a kid, if not incredibly alone, so I thought myself as nothing in particular.

I usually side towards non-gendered, but to make it easier on co-workers I've assumed the "male" gender as it feels significantly more right. Swapping gender identities throughout childhood is normal, but I say its normal at any point of life..

Just go with the flow? Feel the way you need to/want to, no one should be able to stop you from expressing yourself.

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2015, 11:05 pm

As Bruce Gender said in the interview last week: "Sexuality is who you go to bed with, gender is who you go to bed as

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2015, 12:52 am

Nothing's wrong with feeling male/female/both/neither/anything else regardless of your biological sex though it's understandable if you feel uncomfortable about being judged by judgmental people.

I have no problem with the fact that I'm biologically male but I certainly don't feel male or female socially. I myself have no problem with that but I can see most people have a problem with it.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2015, 2:18 am

Only you will know if you identify as female. I'm not really sure how you'd know for sure besides just thinking/feeling it.

I'm gay, sooo I can kind of get where you're coming from in the sense that I know I'm gay due to how I think/feel & what my attractions are. Different, but, if you're transgendered then only you will know if you are by how you think/feel. I don't know if there are professionals that can help you determine it with certainty. Perhaps there are specialized psychiatrists or something? A good place to ask would be the LGBT forum here on wrong planet as there are several trans people who post there regularly.

elkclan
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2015, 2:37 am

Men and women are more alike than not alike. Gender stereotypes are not WHO we are. You are who you are. I think a lot of people find it hard to conform to the idealised gender stereotype, but that doesn't mean that their 'gender' doesn't match their sex (i.e. their genes XX or XY or their sex morphology, male or female).

I am a woman, born XX, I look like a woman. But for a long time, including in my teens and early 20s, I felt like I didn't match my gender. I didn't feel girly. I did however feel attracted to men (or boys, depending on my age). Was I a gay man in a woman's body? Sometimes I felt like that. Actually, I wouldn't be much of a stereotypical gay male either.

But I wasn't that, I am a straight woman in a woman's body who doesn't conform particularly well to gender stereotypes. As I've grown older, I've grown much more comfortable with that. I've found other women who are 'like me'. Women who like science and machines and technology or play rugby or enjoy politics and bbq-ing or whatever. Now it does turn out that I was probably exposed to extra testosterone in utero and I do currently enjoy high T for a woman. But that doesn't make me less of a woman. It may influence some of my tastes and preferences and muscle mass and sex drive, but I'm still all woman.

Gender stereotyping and strict gender roles leave a lot of people confused. You don't have to outwardly change appearance, your hormones or change your bodily structure simply because you are who you are and don't feel particularly 'gendered' when you're on your own. I think that feeling of genderlessness and just being 'me' is a pretty normal experience, maybe even THE normal experience.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2015, 9:14 am

That a boy has had more female than male friends does not a case of gender dysphoria make.

That a male should be female for the reason stated above does not follow.

Transyl
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2015, 3:38 pm

I think I get the feeling. Men are expected to be confident, talkative, emotionless, etc. That's never a mold I related too either.

As to gender, I don't entirely feel male or female. Sometimes I do wish I was a woman though. Women are allowed to be affectionate and honest. I know that women have their own issues of course. I may not actually prefer being a woman if I was one. But it's a "grass is greener" type situation. Many women probably think being a guy would be better.