Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 7:22 pm

Quote:
Let's say the entire world was autistic aside from say a 2% NT minority,

Yeah, but it isn't. And philosophising about "what if" doesn't help anyone to survive.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 7:51 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
starkid wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
Yes, there would still be problems, there's always problems. The fact that society is intolerant of difference is the problem, not any individual group that doesn't fit the mold.

Taking all your comments together, are you implying that NONE of the currently classified mental disorders and/or pervasive developmental disorders is in any way harmful in and of itself? That they are ONLY problematic in terms of not being the norm?

I'm implying they are perfectly natural, the way we perceive them is not.

That's not very informative unless you specify what you mean by "natural."

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 8:14 pm

There is no problem with rejecting your diagnosis, unless you need official accommodations due to autistic traits.
If not, then you can go through life without thinking you are autistic.
In some ways, it is good to just be an individual without embracing a label.
NT? Autistic? Who cares? Living life in a satisfying, happy way is what matters.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 8:22 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
Quote:
Let's say the entire world was autistic aside from say a 2% NT minority,

Yeah, but it isn't. And philosophising about "what if" doesn't help anyone to survive.

Yeah, it only gave us the ability to domesticate plants, tame animals, create society, harness math science and engineering, and create the infrastructure to allow 6+ billion people to survive. Those things didn't just happen, they happened because someone asked "what if..."

Yes, in your everyday life philosophizing will get you nowhere, but it will give you a sense of direction and purpose. The true power of humanity isn't it's physical tool set, it's the mind.

JT_B_Goode
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 May 2015, 8:28 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
There is no problem with rejecting your diagnosis, unless you need official accommodations due to autistic traits.
If not, then you can go through life without thinking you are autistic.
In some ways, it is good to just be an individual without embracing a label.
NT? Autistic? Who cares? Living life in a satisfying, happy way is what matters.

I want to echo this sentiment.
Find what works best for you.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 8:33 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
Yeah, it only gave us the ability to domesticate plants, tame animals, create society, harness math science and engineering, and create the infrastructure to allow 6+ billion people to survive. Those things didn't just happen, they happened because someone asked "what if..."

Off-topic, but I always cringe inwardly when people mention these sorts of things, offer no proof, and assume that other people consider them to be positive developments, although I suppose that assumption is justifiable in light of popular opinion.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2015, 8:58 pm

starkid wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:

Off-topic, but I always cringe inwardly when people mention these sorts of things, offer no proof, and assume that other people consider them to be positive developments, although I suppose that assumption is justifiable in light of popular opinion.

I never said I approved, I merely stated how it happened. He stated philosophy doesn't help people survive-- I just showed you how it did. Without the ability to problem solve none of those things would have occurred. How do you problem solve? You think about what to do next, that's philosophizing.

Every animal on earth has adaptive strategies for it's survival and for millions (possibly billions if we include micro-organisms) of years they have played out these strategies, some dying off, some evolving and surviving. Over that course of time there has never been a species that can tame nature as humans can. What separates us from the rest of these species of millions of years of evolution is the creative side of our brain-- we are not limited to pure animal instinct alone. So yeah, I'm saying that's important, the most important part of human evolution thus far is our brain.

Either that or god just plopped all that good stuff on us and we just need to wait it out for the rapture. That's another competing theory of human progress.