OCD topic: Debilitating fear of saying/doing something wrong

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

GoldTails95
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Mar 2016, 4:36 pm

This part of OCD I have is really killing me (Or for those reading this who still don't understand social cues: This sympton of OCD has the worst impact on the way I live). When I am going to do something specific like go out in a crowded event, I have this pressure fear from my OCD that I am going to say or do something wrong. For example, if I go and do my assignment, I fear I am going to blurt out something that is totally off color (Shouting out something that has NOTHING to do what I have to do right now) or do something that a normal person would consider insane. This OCD pressure has been shying me off activities I like and would like to do like studying, going out with friends, or excersising.
I learned that though the OCD thoughts would never go away and in fact grow worse if I try to tackle on those thoughts (dreading it and focusing on it). Good news though is that I learned how to tolerate the obsessive compulsive thoughts in my mind while focusing on a specific thing I have to do at the moment.
But my only major challenge here is this question: How do I NOT say/do something that my OCD thoughts are compelling me to do while focusing on a social activity or any activity I am focusing at the moment?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2016, 5:39 pm

Just concentrate on your task at hand. Have a narrow focus when you are doing these tasks.

Know what your goals are. Know what you have to do. Be strong.

Have insight into those OCD thoughts, and know the nature of the thoughts--that they are probably not true.

Perform "reality testing" on yourself in these instances.