Page 3 of 12 [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2015, 1:47 am

Austin Riley 3 time karting champoin

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2015, 1:53 am

Sean8573 wrote:
Maybe the flexibility/low muscle tone side is a big advantage for more precise movements/touch rather than clunky stiff movements. The hyper focus or ability to block out/ignore pain can help with endurance and determination. The low muscle tone and lack of co-ordination could be a disadvantage but once we learn something and adapt to it we excel. Use to take me half a day to mow a lawn, now I've been doing it as a business for 11 years I can do 12 a day. I've just learnt how to do it well and my body has adjusted.

Dead on. I spend hours in BMX parks practicing pumps, cornering & tricks. It's at the point where I barely even feel my crashes on XC rides or in the city. Too much muscle tone can actually cause all manner of intractable injuries, calling for surgical aid. Natural muscle tone for me is about the same as for anyone else, I think people have it confused with connective tissue.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

higherprimate
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Dec 2015, 9:15 am

This is the one question that has plagued me the most in being un-diagnosed , as it seems to be a general consensus that people with ASD are uncoordinated goofs.

I'm 33, and 99.9% sure I'm on the Autism Spectrum. The traits I have are glaring (without digressing too far from the OP, but, still prefacing--I'll try and keep it short)...I have nearly uncontrollable stereotypies (since as long as I can remember), stemming from being excited or nervous, feel extremely uncomfortable with eye contact, have a couple of obsessive interests, abnormally high rote memory function and reading comprehension, have failed in friendships/relationships with not being able to move past the basics of intimacy etc....

BUT, I was an absolute freak athlete when I was younger--specifically in baseball and basketball. I played on several select teams for both, as well as varsity in high school--the most prolific in baseball, as I could throw one 90+MPH by the time I was 17.

That being said--as good as my hand/eye coordination seems to be, ironically, my fine motor skills are crap (if that makes any sense whatsoever). I have a hard time lacing shoes, or anything that requires intricate, precise motor movements (i.e. cutting things to exact measurements, or working with tools in general).

So, it's very confusing that I seem to be quite disproportionate in my traits/abilities. My best guess is that my genetics are chalked full of so much athletic ability (2 former pro athletes, and 5 collegiate athletes in my family), that even with my apparent ASD, enough managed to manifest itself where I was able to excel

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2016, 11:06 am

John Howard Mixed Martial Arts athlete

At age 33, John Howard finally freed by diagnosis of clinical autism - MMA Fighting

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

sonicallysensitive
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jun 2016, 3:11 pm

Yes, of course it's possible.

I'm autistic and athletic (as with many others who have already posted in this thread).

foca
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Jun 2016, 7:02 am

Yeah, aspies can be anything if we try hard enough.

RAADS-R (Average score for males with asd=148.7)
Total=170 - Language=17 - Social relatedness=65 - Sensory/motor=52 - Circumscribed interests=36

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 1:07 pm

foca wrote:
Yeah, aspies can be anything if we try hard enough.

Combined with natural born talent or skills needed for whatever the person on or off the spectrum is trying hard for.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2017, 4:54 am

Golf fetches 16-year-old autistic boy Bheem award

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2017, 9:56 am

I take tennis lessons on Saturdays and am showing steady improvements in all areas, including social opportunities. I will be going to the Indian Wells tennis tournament on March 4. I'm so excited! My dream of attending a tennis tournament is actually coming true.

Losty
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Feb 2017, 9:08 pm

higherprimate wrote:
This is the one question that has plagued me the most in being un-diagnosed , as it seems to be a general consensus that people with ASD are uncoordinated goofs.

I'm 33, and 99.9% sure I'm on the Autism Spectrum. The traits I have are glaring (without digressing too far from the OP, but, still prefacing--I'll try and keep it short)...I have nearly uncontrollable stereotypies (since as long as I can remember), stemming from being excited or nervous, feel extremely uncomfortable with eye contact, have a couple of obsessive interests, abnormally high rote memory function and reading comprehension, have failed in friendships/relationships with not being able to move past the basics of intimacy etc....

BUT, I was an absolute freak athlete when I was younger--specifically in baseball and basketball. I played on several select teams for both, as well as varsity in high school--the most prolific in baseball, as I could throw one 90+MPH by the time I was 17.

That being said--as good as my hand/eye coordination seems to be, ironically, my fine motor skills are crap (if that makes any sense whatsoever). I have a hard time lacing shoes, or anything that requires intricate, precise motor movements (i.e. cutting things to exact measurements, or working with tools in general).

So, it's very confusing that I seem to be quite disproportionate in my traits/abilities. My best guess is that my genetics are chalked full of so much athletic ability (2 former pro athletes, and 5 collegiate athletes in my family), that even with my apparent ASD, enough managed to manifest itself where I was able to excel

Yea that sounds very similar to me I had fast reactions and good hand/eye coordination also very good endurance was cross country champion every year at school I found most new sports i tried i was very average to start but had quick learning curve and eventurly just click and become easy and I also have poor fine motor skills. I got professionally diagnosed just recently.

Leester
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2017, 10:32 pm

For fine hand eye coronation/fine motor skills. I'm pretty good in radio control car racing. I'm a six time national champion. I've also competed in world championship races as far east as Florida to all the way to Japan.

As far as athleticism goes, I workout at the gym at my local community college three times a week and sprint drills once a week. So I work out four times a week. I can butterfly press 234 pounds, chest press 205 pounds with one single repetition. Leg press 660 pounds. And as far as core exercises go I can stand on one leg while holding two 10 pound medicine balls is in both my hands for 60 seconds on each leg for three sets. I can also plank on two medicine balls with my hands and feet both on the front and rear balls and plank for 60 seconds.

I may not be a distance runner but I am a very fast sprinter for who I am. When I was in high school I ran the hundred meter dash 11.72 seconds. And just recently I ran a track meet in the 60 m dash in 7.86 seconds. I don't know many people on the spectrum who was a sprinter.

I guess I'd give you a little inspiration to say people on the spectrum can be athletic. Maybe not olympic quality but in my opinion butterfly pressing 234 pounds and planking on two balls for 60 seconds and leg press and 660 pounds is no small feat in my opinion.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2017, 9:58 am

I spoke too soon. It looks as though my plans to attend the tournament are on hold, if not gone altogether.

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2017, 11:30 am

It's entirely plausible to be athletic and on the spectrum, to do it professionally as with most other career goals will take strong dedication though, so the heart must be in it. Though no athlete myself, I run 6 days a week and enjoy challenging my physical performance over time. Exercise has always been my ultimate answer to the problem of my depression, too. Running is the only weapon in my menagerie providing a powerful antidepressant effect guaranteed not to slowly deplete over time, as it was with all past medications.

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Feb 2017, 1:14 pm

I see no reason why aspies can't be athletic. I don't play sports myself but I do walk a lot and weight train 3 times a week so I'm in reasonable shape. That said, I would like to get my body fat down to at least 15% (it's currently just under 20%) and get a little more muscular then I am now. I'll be trying some new workout regimes and subtle changes to my diet to see if that works.

jmncrr000
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Feb 2017, 3:29 pm

I played sports all through high school, so yes an Aspie can be athletic. I did however have trouble getting along with teammates, and coaches which made it hard to maintain interest.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2017, 3:50 pm

Definitely, with one of my cycle tours notching up 1000 miles in two weeks.

Team sports on the other hand? No thank you