Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 10:41 am

Would you find it ironic that I came to this area to get away from noise and not only do I get jackhammers and other sorts of machinery, but that its result for some reason attracts children that shout nigh constantly and kick footballs which are the sole bass sound in the day, and which also happens to be the sports that irritated me since childhood, at times even forced by a school to play it, which doesn't work so well... and that the architect of this garden told me with a smile on her face that I'd probably be content with this garden once it finished after all it entailed? :-)

Actually, I think the football is affecting me, and all it would take for them is to play it at another corner... I think the ball keeps hitting the handrails outside these flats... can I tell them to go elsewhere? Can I put up a sign? Would there be a backlash? I've already emailed MP about ice cream vans... society has a way to irritate people with noise...

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 9:34 pm

I'm confused. Do you like the sound a football makes when you kick it?

I have Newton balls in my room and I like the noise they make when I use them.

rarebit
Toucan
Toucan

27 May 2015, 9:43 pm

Yes footballs do produce a lot of bass noises, especially when kicked against the kerb, I find it really annoying too. Luckily I live on an estate and technically ball games aren't allowed since provision is made nearby (e.g. park), however people often walk by bouncing their balls.

Kids, oooh its holiday time again so yes there are lots of animated chatter and fun going on, I can't get angry at them because they're only having fun, even if a little loudly and distractingly for me.

I try headphones but can only endure them for a while and many activities I do require concentration so music or TV are just as bad a distraction. Soooo, I generally take sleeping pills in the day and live by night in virtual bliss, except for the fridge and spiders in boots!

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

28 May 2015, 3:37 pm

I would find it very annoying but I'd deal with it. I always wear headphones when I'm on computer which spend alot of time on sometimes. I'd might go out for abit too.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 10:28 pm

No.

I haven't had any sort of strong audio sensitivity for the last year and a half or so. I do still sleep with earplugs in to block traffic noise etc, but I'm sometimes tired enough to pass out without them and not wake up until construction noise starts at 7am.

Anyways, I would not ask them to relocate. That's rude. They're just enjoying a bit of fun/exercise/sport. YOU'RE the one who has the audio sensitivity problem. They're not being jerks by making noise intentionally trying to irritate you. You're simply easily irritated by noise. It's you that needs to do whatever you need to to adapt for yourself. You can't expect everyone else to change to accommodate you. Get yourself some earplugs and/or noise cancelling headphones and/or a white noise generator etc.

Further, I think it's absurd to complain to your local MP about the sounds of ice cream trucks - or any business going about it's business and making a bit of noise in the process.

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2015, 2:50 am

Earplugs + noise canceling headphones can be a lifesaver. I have been driven insane by noise, and unless it's after 10 pm, there's nothing I can do about it. Even after 10 pm does it rarely get taken care of. I absolutely hate being in a populated area because of the noise...

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2015, 9:39 am

Why is emailing an MP for this absurd? Noise reduction is exactly what society should do collectively through politics...

rarebit
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jun 2015, 10:00 am

Contacting your MP is exactly the right thing to do!

Most flats, whether private, association or council usually have rules against ball games on the grounds. However usually grassy areas (parks) are deemed as OK.

http://www.environmentlaw.org.uk/rte.asp?id=76
https://www.gov.uk/local-environmental- ... or-insects

As for icecream vans, I know our local one has a drastically quieter tannoy than it used to, so maybe something can be done, but it won't be forced to stop it completely.

jimmyboy76453
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2015, 10:05 am

A few other people have suggested earplugs. I agree, I think this is a very good idea. Noise-canceling headphones might also be something to try, with quiet, soothing music playing to help drown out the other noises.
The reason that it's not right to try to stop these noises is because they are being made by people who are enjoying the activity that causes the noise: the kids are playing football (it sounds like they're playing in a park, which is appropriate for the activity) and the jackhammer is for construction which will result in a better garden that more people can enjoy. It's all good, it's just the sound that is not good. Most people aren't bothered by sound, and it's not fair to other people to expect that they always accommodate our comfort. It might be ok in some situations to ask the kids to play in a different part of the park, further away from you. But the best thing would be to try to block out the noise however you can so that you can be comfortable and the other people can still enjoy their activities.