Page 4 of 8 [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 9:00 am

I'm talking about everybody being so sensitive now, and being taught that it's good and right to be. That we should all be so upset by a word we hear on a tv show, or an idea alluded to in an article, etc. That we are so freaking fragile that our emotions and minds have to be protected from even suggestions of things which MIGHT upset us. I think that mindset is what causes the shootings and all. The more you encourage oversensitivity and emotional reactions and hurts, the closer you get to everybody freaking out over everything.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 9:21 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
I'm talking about everybody being so sensitive now, and being taught that it's good and right to be. That we should all be so upset by a word we hear on a tv show, or an idea alluded to in an article, etc. That we are so freaking fragile that our emotions and minds have to be protected from even suggestions of things which MIGHT upset us. I think that mindset is what causes the shootings and all. The more you encourage oversensitivity and emotional reactions and hurts, the closer you get to everybody freaking out over everything.

Oh, I see this all over everyday life (including an abundance at WrongPlanet.net). I try to avoid it, but sometimes, the lunacy of it all is overwhelming, and needs to be called out for what it is.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 10:13 am

I think the issue is more with an individual's insecurity, rather than sensitivity. If these shooters were more sensitive, they'd probably have the empathy to not kill others. People are insecure in themselves, encounter what they perceive as opposing ideals, and they lash out. They feel threatened and believe they are acting in self-defense, though this is probably all in their own perception.

Sensitivity, on the other hand, is a good thing.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 11:04 am

I also hate newspeak.
It almost always serves the hive mind.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 11:19 am

olympiadis wrote:
I also hate newspeak.
It almost always serves the hive mind.

Well put.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 6:20 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:

Okay, TV example from a few decades ago: MURPHY BROWN (wish I could find a clip - this was pretty funny). There was an episode where the reporters were giving some kind of public talk, and everyone in the audience was taking offense to the terms they were using (for race, etc.). This was when "political correctness" was first taking hold. I must have been about nine or ten years old, and even then I knew how absurd it was for people to get "up in arms" about mere words.

Sadly, things have only gotten more absurd since then. :roll:

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 6:36 pm

conundrum wrote:
Okay, TV example from a few decades ago: MURPHY BROWN (wish I could find a clip - this was pretty funny). There was an episode where the reporters were giving some kind of public talk, and everyone in the audience was taking offense to the terms they were using (for race, etc.). This was when "political correctness" was first taking hold. I must have been about nine or ten years old, and even then I knew how absurd it was for people to get "up in arms" about mere words.

Sadly, things have only gotten more absurd since then. :roll:

"There are no bad words. Bad thoughts. Bad intentions, and wooooords."

--George Carlin

It amazes me that in a world society where adults outnumber children, even serious journalists and elected officials resort to such phrases as "...the 'N' word" and "...the 'R' word." Considering that the phrases are usually used in lieu of quoting the words of others, it all seems very ridiculous to me. So goes intelligence.... :roll:

boredome
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 8:31 pm

iliketrees wrote:
That whole "yolo" and "swag" thing was annoying. Thankfully that has filtered out for the most part. I can't think of any other examples though.

https://twitter.com/HackForumsNet/statu ... 6532629504

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 10:25 pm

ghoti wrote:
Or people using a common word to mean its opposite, such as using "literally" when they mean "figuratively"?

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 10:52 pm

Politicians in the UK seem unable to mention any of their decisions or policies without adding that "It is/was the right thing to do". Is this a worldwide phenomenon?

TTRSage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jun 2015, 11:14 pm

The one that just drives me up the wall is when they say on the news that this, that or another "went viral".

In terms of everyday life, the one that grinds on my nerves is, "have a good one". Have a good WHAT? Orgasm? To me that is a highly invasive sexual innuendo implying the God-given right of the person saying it to pry into your sex life and as an excuse of the other person to not have any part of it. I have sent complaints to the main offices of several companies on this issue regarding comments made by their employees.

I would rather listen to fingernails on a chalkboard than to hear either of these remarks.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 11:23 pm

TTRSage wrote:
The one that just drives me up the wall is when they say on the news that this, that or another "went viral".

In terms of everyday life, the one that grinds on my nerves is, "have a good one". Have a good WHAT? Orgasm? To me that is a highly invasive sexual innuendo implying the God-given right of the person saying it to pry into your sex life and as an excuse of the other person to not have any part of it. I have sent complaints to the main offices of several companies on this issue regarding comments made by their employees.

I would rather listen to fingernails on a chalkboard than to hear either of these remarks.

Have a good one means have a good day, evening, morning, whatever time it is. A good day at work, or off day, or a good time out watching a movie or a dinner or what have you. I've never heard it meant to have anything to do with sex. I also can't imagine how saying it would be interpreted as trying to pry into somebody's sex life. I've said it lots of times and my husband says it as well because it seems to be the common way of saying goodbye in his group, and as he's standing here right now I asked him if he's prying into someone's sex life by saying it or if he means anything at all sexual when he says it. He told me no, it means the same thing as have a good day and looked at me like I had three heads or something. So no, it's nothing sexual. It's just casual verbal shorthand meaning have a good whatever it is you are doing at the moment.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 11:50 pm

DeepHour wrote:
Politicians in the UK seem unable to mention any of their decisions or policies without adding that "It is/was the right thing to do". Is this a worldwide phenomenon?

Apparently.

so that the people say,

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2015, 11:55 pm

^ I tried to play that, and a caption appeared saying "The uploader has not made this video available in your country. Definitely NOT the right thing to do....

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2015, 12:01 am

"For The Win" doesn't even sound right. Win is not a noun, it's a verb. But I used to think FTW normally did start with the f-word until I saw it on a family-friendly website.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2015, 12:04 am

DeepHour wrote:
^ I tried to play that, and a caption appeared saying "The uploader has not made this video available in your country. Definitely NOT the right thing to do....

Oops...sorry, stupid copyright restrictions. :x

so that the people say,