Total votes : 72

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 9:54 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
kamiyu910 wrote:
sadly...

I had a feeling she might be. Funny old thing, that.

Quote:
talking online I've seen a lot of fear and deeply religious stuff (if you read anything about that naacp ex-president who is white, same family).

I don't know much about the NACCP apart from that they supported the Little Rock Nine in 1957, which seemed laudable enough. You're saying the NAACP isn't all that it seems?

Quote:
They seem to have this deep fear that the world is going to erode everything they believe in and homosexuals are going to force Christian pastors to marry them...

I've noticed first-hand how extreme some of the followers of intense religions can be, and it's very scary stuff. I saw it in otherwise perfectly sweet people while I was in Arkansas. To argue with them would offend them terribly, because they really do seem to absolutely believe some hideous things. Some of their preachers have much to answer for, IMHO.

It's hopefully not too off topic, but the whole Rachel Dolezal thing is that she was born white and now wants to identify as black... (essentially it was a way she could completely escape from her family, I guess) Rachel Dolezal on Today Show
That whole ordeal has seriously offended many people, while others are defending her right to be transracial(?) since "race is a social construct", and they are offended by the people offended by "a white woman in black face." Some people have even come out with saying they are "Transfinancial" (rich person in a poor person's body) after Dolezal was found out.

Which reminds me of the Otherkin and the whole Tumblr universe and how I can no longer tell who is joking, who is being a jerk, and who is serious... :(

Oh and on the preachers and pastors... yeah, I have no idea how some of these people are reading the same bible I am...

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2015, 11:56 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
You made a logical point, but in my experience, anti-abortionists are often extremely touchy like that, and simply don't want their belief questioned. Some issues are incredibly thorny and best avoided unless it's really important to wade in. Hmmm......is your cousin religious?

Sadly, that tendency is hardly constrained to religious anti-abortion agitators. My favorite semi-recent example was when a blogger I follow realized that a meme concerning false accusations of sexual assault being posted on his Facebook was using statistics that were off by several orders of magnitude and pointed it out, then had the social justice brigade, including semi celebrity Arthur Chu, up his ass demanding that he ignore the deception because it was for a good cause. Chu was actually quite forthright in stating that in his opinion the ends justified the means, and that lying for politics was fine so long as it was done in the right direction.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 4:23 am

I reckon there's not enough danger around for people in modern functional societies. So, people are finding danger ("offense") in things they never would have in the past.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 5:52 am

Norny wrote:
Being that you brought up self-diagnosis, I suppose that's the primary area in which I feel backlash on WP. I'm very interested in the accuracy of diagnoses (including self-diagnoses) and love to discuss it, but half the time I don't get the chance to and am instead depicted as uncaring etc. or told that it has already been mentioned too many times. I think that if somebody is consistently offended by the discussion they should, you know, not read the thread?

It annoys me that I am unable to properly discuss the issue because of this, so I am excited when such threads arise, but that quickly dies after feeling a threat of being blasted. I feel to this date I have been unable to have an honest discussion regarding self-diagnosis.

This likely has nothing at all to do with a sense of self entitlement (for most, anyway, obviously there'll be exceptions), and everything to do with the fact that for many, this specific issue is very sensitive to them; something they've had CONSTANT difficulty on, constant people badgering them, and endless trouble... yes, they're GOING to snap when someone's arguing against it. I can remember similar things from my own experience... back when I used to work, I had ALOT of trouble finding and keeping jobs. And this just kept going... and going... and going, and the stress was huge. Because of this, the moment someone started pestering me about it, well, it'd be like a bomb going off. And I"m not someone that's normally bothered by such things easily; I endured years of stupid bullying without even one physical incident (or even a bit of yelling), and usually dont even give a response to such inane crap. But something that's already bothering me THAT much? Yep. Gonna get unpleasant.

I personally dont like the whole self-diagnosis idea either, but... I just avoid it. Me yammering about it anywhere will accomplish nothing at all. But yeah, I still agree with your view of it.

That all being said... plenty of people really do get overly offended, even when NOT actually insulted or yelled at, on subjects that they're not actually sensitive about at all. I think sometimes they do it so that they can get something out of it, or get a feeling of victory out of it. Like the idiot customer that gets "offended" by something totally innocent that some poor cashier does, so they get the cashier in trouble; I think many do this just because it makes THEM feel superior. When the cashier was probably just trying to be nice. Stuff like that.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 1:19 pm

Dox47 wrote:
a blogger I follow realized that a meme concerning false accusations of sexual assault being posted on his Facebook was using statistics that were off by several orders of magnitude and pointed it out, then had the social justice brigade, including semi celebrity Arthur Chu, up his ass demanding that he ignore the deception because it was for a good cause. Chu was actually quite forthright in stating that in his opinion the ends justified the means, and that lying for politics was fine so long as it was done in the right direction.

Yep. I don't know what the worst thing about that is, promoting dishonesty in politics, or the stupidity of his admitting that's what he's up to. I didn't think anybody in politics ever did the latter, except perhaps behind very carefully-closed doors.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 1:20 pm

kamiyu910 wrote:
That whole ordeal has seriously offended many people, while others are defending her right to be transracial(?) since "race is a social construct", and they are offended by the people offended by "a white woman in black face." Some people have even come out with saying they are "Transfinancial" (rich person in a poor person's body) after Dolezal was found out.

Thanks, I just read the story. Interesting that people are reacting with offendedness or with political support. Me, I just think that either the poor lady's got her head screwed on the wrong way, or she had some cunning motive I haven't yet fathomed.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 6:23 pm

kamiyu910 wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
kamiyu910 wrote:
sadly...

I had a feeling she might be. Funny old thing, that.

Quote:
talking online I've seen a lot of fear and deeply religious stuff (if you read anything about that naacp ex-president who is white, same family).

I don't know much about the NACCP apart from that they supported the Little Rock Nine in 1957, which seemed laudable enough. You're saying the NAACP isn't all that it seems?

Quote:
They seem to have this deep fear that the world is going to erode everything they believe in and homosexuals are going to force Christian pastors to marry them...

I've noticed first-hand how extreme some of the followers of intense religions can be, and it's very scary stuff. I saw it in otherwise perfectly sweet people while I was in Arkansas. To argue with them would offend them terribly, because they really do seem to absolutely believe some hideous things. Some of their preachers have much to answer for, IMHO.

It's hopefully not too off topic, but the whole Rachel Dolezal thing is that she was born white and now wants to identify as black... (essentially it was a way she could completely escape from her family, I guess) Rachel Dolezal on Today Show

Which reminds me of the Otherkin and the whole Tumblr universe and how I can no longer tell who is joking, who is being a jerk, and who is serious... :(

Oh and on the preachers and pastors... yeah, I have no idea how some of these people are reading the same bible I am...

I have a friend who was born white and after her biological dad died her mother married a black man. This was in South Carolina back in the early 60's and obviously they took a lot of crap from it. She has a couple of siblings from her mothers first marriage, some step siblings from her stepdads first marriage and some half siblings from her mothers second marriage to the black guy. Because things were so segregated back then she lived in the black area and went to black schools and churches and only hung around with black people. She identifies as black. She even wrote a book about her experiences growing up. It's a pretty good book and I'd suggest anyone read it, it's very interesting. It's called "I'm Black and I'm Proud Wished the White Girl". She talks about how even now when someone talks to her on the phone without having met her they think she's black and are surprised when they meet her in person and find out she's white. She's an elementary school teacher, or used to be, and one of her kids thought she was black but just light skinned and had put a perm in her hair to straighten it.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 7:55 pm

Whenever I see a post like this, I go looking for whatever argument the OP lost just before making it. :P

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 8:23 pm

What about individuals who get entirely too offended over pretty much nothing at all? I'm talking about those who blow the least little thing completely out of proportion to the extent that it not only ruins their day, but several days as well. Those who see bullying where it isn't, those who see a joke to someone else about something else as someone attacking them. Those who not only get so offended over basically nothing they also expect others to share their exact sentiments and when others don't they are accused of attacking them as well. People who you can't even apologize to or explain something to because their offense is so great that they can't abide your presence. Those types of people who there is just no talking to or even interacting with because whenever anybody does anything to offend them, it's the end of the world.

What about people like that? How far should we go to accommodate them? How seriously should they be taken?

Could their actions be a product of mental illness? I don't mean just depression and anxiety, which can cause someone to blow things out of proportion, but could it be from something else, and if so what could it be? Another thing to consider is could their behavior actually be a by product of society being ready to bend over backwards to keep from upsetting someone?

Also, how in the world will this overall attitude effect the functioning of the country? Eventually we won't even be able to fight a war because it's not nice to kill the enemy. Where do we draw the line? When it becomes wrong to tell people who go over the top about offense and who take their silliness to the ultimate level that they are going to far, then we are agreeing with their behavior and encouraging it even if our only intent is to make them feel better. Wouldn't it be far better, and safer, to try and encourage people to grow a little thicker skin and teach people how to let things go and not let things bother them so much than it is to try and tiptoe through life as it becomes a minefield of emotional upheaval?

Also, all this worrying about offense is going to make it much easier for those who are prone to doing so to use emotional blackmail. Do you really want that?

Where is the line? Who draws it and how to we enforce it without being labeled "cruel and cold" etc?

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 9:21 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
What about individuals who get entirely too offended over pretty much nothing at all? I'm talking about those who blow the least little thing completely out of proportion to the extent that it not only ruins their day, but several days as well. Those who see bullying where it isn't, those who see a joke to someone else about something else as someone attacking them. Those who not only get so offended over basically nothing they also expect others to share their exact sentiments and when others don't they are accused of attacking them as well. People who you can't even apologize to or explain something to because their offense is so great that they can't abide your presence. Those types of people who there is just no talking to or even interacting with because whenever anybody does anything to offend them, it's the end of the world.

What about people like that? How far should we go to accommodate them? How seriously should they be taken?

Could their actions be a product of mental illness? I don't mean just depression and anxiety, which can cause someone to blow things out of proportion, but could it be from something else, and if so what could it be? Another thing to consider is could their behavior actually be a by product of society being ready to bend over backwards to keep from upsetting someone?

Also, how in the world will this overall attitude effect the functioning of the country? Eventually we won't even be able to fight a war because it's not nice to kill the enemy. Where do we draw the line? When it becomes wrong to tell people who go over the top about offense and who take their silliness to the ultimate level that they are going to far, then we are agreeing with their behavior and encouraging it even if our only intent is to make them feel better. Wouldn't it be far better, and safer, to try and encourage people to grow a little thicker skin and teach people how to let things go and not let things bother them so much than it is to try and tiptoe through life as it becomes a minefield of emotional upheaval?

Also, all this worrying about offense is going to make it much easier for those who are prone to doing so to use emotional blackmail. Do you really want that?

Where is the line? Who draws it and how to we enforce it without being labeled "cruel and cold" etc?

It's hard to decide where a line is... I think it would have to be a balance between the two+ people having the disagreement, but there are so many things to consider... if it is a mental problem, should the offended person be handled more carefully? Should the "aggressor" be expected to handle them softer than they would others? Huh.

Sometimes I have no idea who is going to be like that. This one person unfriended me because I commented on a picture she posted of something that vaguely resembled a swastika, it was a logo for some brand called Mine
I mentioned that many people still use the swastika for religious or other purposes that have nothing to do with the nazis, like the Finnish airforce, so it wasn't like it was evil that they used lines like that.
She replied with: "Okay then. Forget it. This post isn't funny or ironic at all because it ALMOST looks like a swastika and almost says mein. Later." I'm still confused...

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 9:46 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:

That logo looks like this thing we used to draw as kids. You start out with it but at the ends of the lines you draw a half circle that ends on the line perpendicular to the set of lines you are extending. It ends up with a thing that looks sort of like a rainbow and a knot combined.

As for the whole swastika and mein thing, I think that is overboard. It's the same as people getting upset over the word "niggardly" which has nothing whatsoever to do with race, it has to do with being cheap. I think the word was coined way before the derivation of the word "negro" came about, which is what the "n word" is, a derivation of the word "negro". By using that whole "looks or sounds similar so it must be related" thing, you could say the Alabama flag is racist because it's a red x over a white background. The x is the same shape as the rebel flag's x so it's a similar overall thing. It's also probably where it came from.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 9:51 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
Whenever I see a post like this, I go looking for whatever argument the OP lost just before making it. :P

I lost your mum

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 10:29 pm

This thread is a hoot...people are offended by other people taking offense to things? don't want to be told that you're being insensitive or rude, or have an offensive opinion, but it's other people who need to toughen up? Seems like there's a pot and a kettle here who haven't been introduced yet.

Who_Am_I wrote:

LOL

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 10:34 pm

dianthus wrote:
This thread is a hoot...people are offended by other people taking offense to things? don't want to be told that you're being insensitive or rude, or have an offensive opinion, but it's other people who need to toughen up? Seems like there's a pot and a kettle here who haven't been introduced yet.

I think someone mentioned that earlier, about people getting offended over people getting offended. I think that falls in the same category.
I just don't like jerks.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 10:41 pm

dianthus wrote:

Who_Am_I wrote:

LOL

Oh, I'm not offended over it at all. I think it's stupid though. I also think it's bad for society to encourage whining about everything rather than serious things.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2015, 10:45 pm

dianthus wrote:

Who_Am_I wrote:

LOL

cool you have something against me, how original

btw, I don't lose arguments. I only win

OliveOilMom wrote:
Oh, I'm not offended over it at all. I think it's stupid though. I also think it's bad for society to encourage whining about everything rather than serious things.

Agreed.