Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Carl_m
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Jul 2015, 12:54 am

I would be interested to know how you all feel about alcohol.

I don't mind a glass of wine, a beer or liqueur, but I just hate the effect of alcohol on my brain. It makes me feel very uncomfortable and out of control. I was wondering if that is an Aspie thing?

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2015, 12:56 am

My friend is autistic and we've been drunk together many times. He likes it because it makes him more confident, and has never claimed to dislike any part of the experience. :jester:

Cyllya1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jul 2015, 1:09 am

I can't stand the taste, so I've never had enough to notice an effect.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2015, 2:57 am

I like it. I like the confidence it gives me, the way it makes me notice and care about less, so I can get on with having fun. I've done many a thing while under the influence of alcohol that I would be too reserved to do when sober.

I don't like that that is at the expense of clear speech and co-ordinated movements, but I consider that a small price to pay. And of course hangovers are a pain, so drinking to the level of being drunk is usually not much fun the next day. So now that I'm getting older, my big nights are rarer and better planned ;) But I enjoy a quiet drink or two at home quiet often.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2015, 5:54 am

Doesn't really do anything to me.

I drink now and again; I'd drink more if I were richer. Mostly spirits and cider/beer. I like the taste; I didn't like the taste when younger. I guess my taste buds are getting old.

Jack Daniels No.7 and Sierra Silver are my current favorites.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2015, 6:49 am

I like the taste of wine when I have it with cheese etc. I can only drink small amounts. No more than a glass at a time. I don't like the effect of alcohol. If there were a non-alcoholic drink that tastes exactly the same as real wine, I'd definitely choose that over real wine. Alcohol doesn't make me feel good. If anything, I feel sleepy/sick/asthmatic.

Beer tastes/smells disgusting.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2015, 10:18 am

Cant stand it. Cant stand being around anyone that's been drinking. Even just a bit. I absolutely will simply get up and leave if someone starts, unless this is happening at my place, at which point I'd throw them out. Fortunately though nobody comes over to my place to begin with, so that works out well.

I've seen too much of what it can do to people. What's worse to me though is that those very people often think it's "totally harmless" and they're acting mostly "normal" when I'm watching them stumble around making idiots of themselves or doing things that definitely qualify as "bloody stupid". So they'll get all annoyed if I get up and leave. To that I typically say: tough. Dont want me to leave, then dont drink around me.

Also, the stuff smells like a cat had a bit of an accident.

Never touched a drop of the stuff. Never will. This seems to be a very rare thing, to be able to say that. I've not met anyone else that just refuses to ever touch it. Not in person, anyway.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2015, 10:35 am

I liked it way too much, that is why I had to quit drinking in 1993. Alcohol did a couple of things for me: It made the self loathing and self hatred I had go away, and it also reduced my anxiety and made me more confident around people, at least briefly. Once I had too much and got very intoxicated (which happened pretty much every time I drank) I probably turned people off and made a spectacle of myself.

gaz34
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jul 2015, 11:15 am

I love alcoholic drinks. Unfortunately, my liver has different opinion. I get the worst hangovers ever so I very rarely drink more than a couple of beers in a one day.

quiet_dove
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jul 2015, 11:39 am

I'm honestly afraid to drink much at all, since I take SSRIs, and I've heard that those intensify the effects of alcohol. I did take a few sips of wine this past New Year's, but I've never had more than that to drink.

I have no problem with others drinking, by the way. My anxiety just tends to make me not want to drink.

BrainPower101
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jul 2015, 1:26 pm

It calms me down sometimes relieves anxiety but not always. It doesn't necessarily make me more confident or talkative.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2015, 6:28 pm

I have a love/hate relationship with alcohol. I like the taste of some alcoholic beverages, and sometimes I like being drunk, but other times I'll hate the taste of it, and I'll also hate the feeling of being drunk. It's a weird thing.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2015, 6:58 pm

Mostly I really don't like the taste of alcohol, but I'm not so repulsed that I won't have a glass of wine, a cold beer, a cider once in a while. But it's not my favorite drink -- for taste alone and enjoying the taste of something, I would usually rather be having a Coke or something.

I don't mind a slight "buzz" but I'm not a fan of feeling all-the-way drunk. It can be fun if I've felt I was in a safe environment and people I trusted, but scary when I felt I haven't been safe out somewhere a bit drunk.

I'm so not really interested in alcohol that I can't even remember the last time I bought any or drank any. I'm just not really into it, not the taste or the feeling of being drunk.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2015, 7:07 pm

When I was young, I did not like it. Now that I am old, I find it relaxing.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2015, 7:17 pm

Carl_m wrote:
I would be interested to know how you all feel about alcohol.

I don't mind a glass of wine, a beer or liqueur, but I just hate the effect of alcohol on my brain. It makes me feel very uncomfortable and out of control. I was wondering if that is an Aspie thing?

I'm like you. I don't like the effect.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2015, 7:35 pm

I feel like must be the only adult who isn't from a "dry" country or a history of alcoholism in the family who hasn't the least amount of interest in it. If you don't want to get drunk, than what's the point? Which strangely is the same question alcoholics ask. I don't get why people think fast food places should be banned but bars and stores that sell alcohol? Forget it! Also I have to take medication that doesn't mix with booze, so at least I can use that as an excuse sometimes.

Also there's something about other women being drunk that just makes me... incredibly disgusted for some reason.

Know that Goody-Two-Shoes-Song back in the 80's, "Don't drink don't smoke, what do you do?". Sometimes that's what I think others think about me. Boring. Some people have said I'm smart, however.