Autism Spectrum Disorder Foundation 1 of worst US charities?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

slave
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2015, 3:39 pm

That is the allegation leveled by the Center for Investigative Reporting and the Tampa Bay Times.

"Autism Spectrum Disorder Foundation is one of the worst charities in America when it comes to spending large amounts of cash on for-profit solicitation companies.

But that fact has been obscured in documents filed with state regulators.

The Times and CIR took a closer look at the charity after readers suggested we investigate.

IRS tax documents show that from 2009 to 2011, the charity raised $7.6 million through its solicitors. More than 90 percent of that was paid directly to for-profit solicitation companies hired by the charity.

Its history of using high-cost fundraisers for most of its income would be enough to make Autism Spectrum one of the nation's worst charities."

"Autism Spectrum has gotten low marks from watchdog organizations. Charity Watch gave it an F, and Charity Navigator issued a zero-star rating. The Better Business Bureau reported that the charity did not disclose information when requested.

Autism Spectrum Disorder Foundation
Schererville, IN

• Total cash raised: $7.8 million
• Cash raised by solicitors: $7.6 million
• Total paid for professional solicitation campaigns: $7 million
• Disciplinary actions: 0
• Other names used: Autism Awareness Program, Autistic Children of America"

Source:http://www.tampabay.com/news/charities/2134806

Disclaimer:I make no claims of any kind and am merely relating the story as presented in the linked source.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2015, 4:33 pm

Thanks Slave, - so another one..

I had a look for more Tampa information and found this: a list of the "50 worst charities in the USA", in terms of minimal percentages of money actually spent on the cause they represent. (Actually there are only 48).

Is it possible that some person on WP who is less busy and more energetic than I am today, could look at these percentages, compare them with the Autism Speaks percentages?

From memory of AS threads we have had on this in the past, their % fits in with the percentages on the 50-worst list. If so, it deserves inclusion in the list. There are links that might help facilitate that inclusion at the bottom of the listed 48 charities which are not very charitable at all.

Not sure now whether the one you have posted above, Slave, is on the list has, if not - the inclusion of that one and AS would make the 48 into 50! (Could maybe be useful in the future to oppose funding for AS from any government or state source, to advise state governments of the AS percentage, as a counter lobby). AS lobbies local representatives in all states to influence them to support ABA initiatives with in-state legislation, and they have succeeded in some already. Their stated plan is to persuade all of them.

Was in Tampa once - very pleasant place - had dinner at a lovely French restaurant, have only good memories.

http://www.tampabay.com/americas-worst-charities/

Last edited by B19 on 15 Sep 2015, 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2015, 4:42 pm

There are no laws in America about being a terrible charity. I guess you can even run a charity and if only 1% of the donations you received go to your said cause I think your still good to go. Many criminal organizations operate in this manner and are completely left unchecked. It is pretty much a legal version of fraud.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2015, 4:46 pm

I'm sure it's not illegal if there is some targeted money. Though if I ran one of these charities, publicity would not be welcome. They don't want the general public to know these things. And one charity at least on the list as I recall gave 0% to the stated cause! Is that legal too in the USA?

Autism Speaks is discussed at length here in this link:
https://famewhorgas.wordpress.com/2013/ ... of-givers/

You have scroll quite a way down to come to the several paragraphs and video re Autism Speaks practices and the critique of them.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 2:13 pm

B19 wrote:
I'm sure it's not illegal if there is some targeted money. Though if I ran one of these charities, publicity would not be welcome. They don't want the general public to know these things. And one charity at least on the list as I recall gave 0% to the stated cause! Is that legal too in the USA?

Autism Speaks is discussed at length here in this link:
https://famewhorgas.wordpress.com/2013/ ... of-givers/

You have scroll quite a way down to come to the several paragraphs and video re Autism Speaks practices and the critique of them.

Some of these criminal organizations use similar names to legitimate charities. One example is the Make-A-Wish foundation, the charity that fulfills wishes of terminally ill children and then there is the criminal organization "Kids Wish Network" which spends less than 3 cents on every dollar raised to actually help children.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/13/us/worst-charities/

Quote:
The 50 worst charities in America devote less than 4% of donations raised to direct cash aid. Some charities gave even less. Over a decade, one diabetes charity raised nearly $14 million and gave about $10,000 to patients. Six spent no cash at all on their cause.

America is literally a country where fraud and corruption are endemic. There is virtually no political or public will to change this situation.

https://www.change.org/p/stop-fraudulen ... e-them-now

15 signatures to stop this fraudulent cancer charity while you get like 273,968 signatures for a petition to deport Justin Bieber. That is Murica for you.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2015, 5:55 pm