Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2015, 4:16 pm

So I'm working at a military base daycare centre as a cleaner. The daycare building abuts a meadow and park on the lakefront. It is very beautiful.
On my break I wondered past the children's playground to the meadow, where I stood for a bit and smoked a cirgarette. I enjoy meadows. The chirping, the breeze, the quiet.

Later, one of the daycare teachers came up to me and said that if I want to smoke I can just go to the benches in front of the building. I said okay. She said that she had seen me from the window in the meadow and that I had made the parents in the play area nervous because there was no reason for me to be there. I said okay, I'll go to the benches.

I pretended that I was staying away from the playground because I didn't want the kids to breathe the smoke from my cigarette, but really I just enjoy meadows. She said that the parents may be nervous that I was a threat to their children.

Whatever, I am so burned out. My ninth full day in a row today and again my supervisor doesn't show up, so I have to do the entire building.

My point is: how can enjoying a meadow on your break be threatening to parents? Honestly, people need to grow up. The kids didn't even notice me, just the fussy parents.

Why does taking a few moments for myself in a peaceful environment have to cost so much?

TheNameless
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Sep 2015, 4:35 pm

Unfortunately there are a lot of sexual predators out there that prey on children so people are hyper aware of anybody (especially men) who are near them that doesn't have a good reason to be, especially when you are a parent.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2015, 5:19 pm

TheNameless wrote:
Unfortunately there are a lot of sexual predators out there that prey on children so people are hyper aware of anybody (especially men) who are near them that doesn't have a good reason to be, especially when you are a parent.

I'm a 45 year old woman.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2015, 5:35 pm

As long as your boss doesn't find out about it, it really doesn't matter.

I think the parents are "pulling rank."

Just think about becoming a medical coder.

I know how you feel, Ann. I've had similar experiences.

TheNameless
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Sep 2015, 6:24 am

If you are female then I don't understand why they would complain at all if you aren't doing anything but taking a break. :?

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 7:54 am

Because of the cigarette, it's hard to say.

I know what you mean though. As a kid, I got the impression that other people's parents were friendly, but a bit stand-off-ish as I was a bit "odd" to them. As I got older, this stand-offish-ness turned to "Come on little billy, we don't talk to that person." It really bothered me.... so naturally I started working in a museum where I was put in the context of talking to kids every day about my special interests! It all worked out. People just assumed I was quirky because I was an academic. That, to the parents, was acceptable because I was communicating with them and they could then see that I was not a threat in any way.

Maybe if you try chatting with the parents in a supper friendly way, they will realize that they have no reason to fear you.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 11:42 am

With all the media out there about predators, parents get worried more when they see a strange person near their kids. Of course kids won't notice because of their innocence. They are not really aware of what goes on out there and they don't listen to the media and they don't really understand that there are really bad people out there and they all look like anyone else, they can act all sweet and nice. But really, is someone going to be dumb enough to walk onto a playground where there are parents with their kids and take one of them in front of the adults?

I don't know how close you were to the playground but if you are way out in the field, then I don't know what to say.

I can remember the days when my mom used to yell at me for being too far away from everyone because someone could have taken me. One time I went for a walk in the woods at one of my brothers' t ball games and I got scolded for it, one day after soccer practice, I played on the playground on the other side and I got scolded for that too. Of course I had no fear despite the talk about bad people in the world and how kids sometimes get taken. Even in the 90's parents feared predators so I know this isn't anything new. My mom was one of those people who didn't trust people. But actually the chances of your kid being taken by a random stranger is less than winning the lottery. It's just unfortunate those rare cases always get reported in the media making it look common. I think the chances of your kid being taken is 1 in 600,000.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 12:28 pm

Out of curiosity, is there any way to:
a.) Stand far enough away that the smoke won't reach the playground and,
b.) Stand obviously facing away from the playground.
c.) While approaching & leaving be clearly focused on the nature area and clearly NOT focused on the playground?

If it weren't for the bird sounds, etc. I'd say to wear visible headphones/earbuds too, so the parents assume you are in your own world?

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 12:40 pm

So sad to see how far paranoia and hostility can go... and even more so that a desire to enjoy nature is seen as "odd behaviour". Where I live, I can still go to the park and read a book by myself without being seen as weird or a potential threat. I wonder for how long...

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 1:03 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
So sad to see how far paranoia and hostility can go... and even more so that a desire to enjoy nature is seen as "odd behaviour". Where I live, I can still go to the park and read a book by myself without being seen as weird or a potential threat. I wonder for how long...

Hopefully not to sidetrack too much, but ...It's like we as a culture have been convinced and taught to be afraid all the time. By whom, though? Who benefits from such a thing?

...and bringing it back on topic, how can the OP get what they want/need/have a right to in that environment?

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 2:08 pm

People are too suspicious of odd behaviour. It's false logic. And it's discriminatory. The most successful predators are the ones who blend in. I think the teacher was just being overly vigilant. She's young and thinks she knows more than she does.
Still though, I find it disturbing that she finds me threatening. Is society really so far gone that standing in a meadow (with my back to the playground) is viewed by anyone as threatening?
Something about the desire to be alone is a threat to neurotypicals and I don't know why.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 2:16 pm

androbot01 wrote:
Something about the desire to be alone is a threat to neurotypicals and I don't know why.

Good point. I couldn't figure out why this was a problem, but you said it. I heard a lot of people say that they couldn't possibly sit in a cafe by themselves, and I always thought it was strange. Maybe they see a woman alone and assume she's a martian.....or something...fill in whatever you're most afraid of.

Some people really are hysterical, though.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 2:37 pm

androbot01 wrote:
People are too suspicious of odd behaviour. It's false logic. And it's discriminatory. The most successful predators are the ones who blend in. I think the teacher was just being overly vigilant. She's young and thinks she knows more than she does.
Still though, I find it disturbing that she finds me threatening. Is society really so far gone that standing in a meadow (with my back to the playground) is viewed by anyone as threatening?

Ah, but teaching and training people to be suspicious of anyone who is different is so, damn, useful if you want to control large masses of uncritical people in some practical way. Call it, "McCarthyism" or "The Cold War effect" or "the 9/11 technique" or "devout vs infidels/sinners" or just "us vs them"...

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 3:59 pm

similar things have happened to me because when i go for a smoke if i cant find a secluded area i'll just climb a tree.
or sometimes i just want to climb a damn tree.

apparently its "creepy"
and, "its alright to smoke here"

i guess lots of people feel uncomfortable when they witness someone doing something unconventional.
but people who feel the need to criticize unconventional behavior if its not hurting anyone makes me feel uncomfortable.

i probably also misinterpret people a lot, maybe i think they are being critical when they are actually meaning to be helpful or something, idk...

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 4:06 pm

This has really got me bummed. It's such a slam. Why do people have to be such as*holes?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 4:25 pm

I agree Ann....I absolutely agree. These people are as*holes.

Please try to stick this out. And think about your future....as a medical coder.