Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 8:43 am

half of the threads in these forums are pointless...

It's either

1) Post a pic or share some fact about yourself so people can rate you or tell you whether you're good on not depending on their mood. If they feel bad, they'd want you to feel even worse so they could feed off your crappy feeling. If they are on a good day, or just feel like not bullies or just good people in general they can boost your confidence.

or

2) Describe something that happened to you. ask for advice. Now go tell a person you don't know,never met, and most importantly you wasn't there when the whole thing/situation happend and actually advise him. Because you know it can do more harm than good.

I don't post much. But I read alot. And as a keen observer, I noticed those things on the forums. By the way, have you guys noticed pretty much all of the threads recycle themselves once in every few years in some shape or form? lol just my 2 cents.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 8:49 am

or

3) Complaints about what other people post ... :wink:

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 8:53 am

And the point of you starting a thread to tell us that most of the others are pointless is....?

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 8:55 am

That's a very cynical view of a place that, in the big picture, is much more than the pathetic picture you describe.

Yes, even with repetitious patterns, this place provides much-needed support, help, information sharing and also helps to let people feel not so alone in their issues, people who otherwise feel like they're a freak or the only person they know who feels or acts the way they do.

And advice given, even to people you don't know about people you don't know, can still help because that's what various people's pooled life experiences can do.

Everyone's life is different, but together various people giving input from their point of view can have the power to pass along information and insight to someone in a similar situation.
Otherwise what good is it if people do find they are learning things about life but nobody takes onboard that maybe they know what they're talking about?

I think this place is more useful than the bleak picture you paint of it.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 9:06 am

Chummy wrote:

It's either

1) Post a pic or share some fact about yourself so people can rate you or tell you whether you're good on not depending on their mood. If they feel bad, they'd want you to feel even worse so they could feed off your crappy feeling. If they are on a good day, or just feel like not bullies or just good people in general they can boost your confidence.

or

2) Describe something that happened to you. ask for advice. Now go tell a person you don't know,never met, and most importantly you wasn't there when the whole thing/situation happend and actually advise him. Because you know it can do more harm than good.

I don't post much. But I read alot. And as a keen observer, I noticed those things on the forums. By the way, have you guys noticed pretty much all of the threads recycle themselves once in every few years in some shape or form? lol just my 2 cents.

Well I think seeking/offering advice and reaching out to identify with others has far more of a point than the counting games...

Seriously though, you can generalize any interpersonal communication in this way. I do it all the time in my own head in the day to day world. I think 90% of people's conversations are shallow and dumb. It's all talk about TV shows and whatever whitewashed, edited "news" stories are going on. Sports too, while I love them, could be considered pointless.

I mean philosophically speaking, what the "point" to anything? If you really think about it, religious views aside, any of our actions, thoughts or feelings not directly contributing to our continued survival are pointless. s**t, one could argue that even our continued survival is pointless in and of itself.

Sometimes a stranger can have better insight than a close friend or family member because they have nothing to gain or lose in the outcome of your dilemma. This would lead to more open honest responses. Often people asking for advice just want a starting point to figure things out on their own.

Why don't you start some thread that have a "real point" then? Seriously, not being a dick here. Just try initiating a conversation instead of observing and maybe you can find people with things to say that interest you.

Everyone using a forum like this has different motivations. Alot of the people on here have literally no one they feel they can talk to or relate with. Don't criticize that. Some people may have (like me) a small (and growing smaller) group of trusted people to seek advice from but just need people with common ways of thinking and interests to BS with.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 9:09 am

who the f**k cares matey

not everything needs a point to be worth it

does life have a point? no. my case is thus proven

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 12:28 pm

beakybird wrote:
Chummy wrote:

It's either

or

Well I think seeking/offering advice and reaching out to identify with others has far more of a point than the counting games...

Seriously though, you can generalize any interpersonal communication in this way. I do it all the time in my own head in the day to day world. I think 90% of people's conversations are shallow and dumb. It's all talk about TV shows and whatever whitewashed, edited "news" stories are going on. Sports too, while I love them, could be considered pointless.

I mean philosophically speaking, what the "point" to anything? If you really think about it, religious views aside, any of our actions, thoughts or feelings not directly contributing to our continued survival are pointless. s**t, one could argue that even our continued survival is pointless in and of itself.

Sometimes a stranger can have better insight than a close friend or family member because they have nothing to gain or lose in the outcome of your dilemma. This would lead to more open honest responses. Often people asking for advice just want a starting point to figure things out on their own.

Why don't you start some thread that have a "real point" then? Seriously, not being a dick here. Just try initiating a conversation instead of observing and maybe you can find people with things to say that interest you.

Everyone using a forum like this has different motivations. Alot of the people on here have literally no one they feel they can talk to or relate with. Don't criticize that. Some people may have (like me) a small (and growing smaller) group of trusted people to seek advice from but just need people with common ways of thinking and interests to BS with.

*Desperation after wrongplanet didn't submit my message* *writes again*

I like where you're heading with this post. And just to clarify, I am not being a troll either. You know, it's just cyberbullying has been happening all over the web, and it didn't skip wrongplanet just because we're aspies. We are not angels after all. People who feel vulnerable and naively vent and express a need here, may sometimes get intentionally or unintentionally mislead or misadvised (if that's even a word?). How do I know? I didn't just watch. In the past when I was a teen a surfed some forums because back then I didn't have friends and little going on for me...... and was not treated well whatsoever for no good reason. I just think to myself sometimes I see posts like: "should I leave my BF" and ppl actually tell her "yes" or "no", I can't see how that's gonna help no matter what life experiences you had.

By the way, I am not this place is negative at all. I don't think half of the posts are useless, it was a mere exxageration to get my point through. I just wanted to open this thread to see if anyone also witnessed stuff like that. By the way, I enjoy my time here and am a loyal friend and member of the community. So no, this is definitely not a negative place.

And then goes on to another point of discussion. Are online friends better/can subsitude real friends? My opinion is flat out no, and never. The more time I spend near my computer with online friends the less I have time to meet or even talk on the phone with my real life friends. Again, it's not black or white. Not saying online friends are "bad". I once was at a lecture of a professional care/pyschotherapist for people with disabilities ( especially ADHD, Autism/Asperger, Learning disorders etc etc) and she stressed that exact same thing.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 12:47 pm

Chummy wrote:
beakybird wrote:
Chummy wrote:

It's either

or

*Desperation after wrongplanet didn't submit my message* *writes again*

I like where you're heading with this post. And just to clarify, I am not being a troll either. You know, it's just cyberbullying has been happening all over the web, and it didn't skip wrongplanet just because we're aspies. We are not angels after all. People who feel vulnerable and naively vent and express a need here, may sometimes get intentionally or unintentionally mislead or misadvised (if that's even a word?). How do I know? I didn't just watch. In the past when I was a teen a surfed some forums because back then I didn't have friends and little going on for me...... and was not treated well whatsoever for no good reason. I just think to myself sometimes I see posts like: "should I leave my BF" and ppl actually tell her "yes" or "no", I can't see how that's gonna help no matter what life experiences you had.

By the way, I am not this place is negative at all. I don't think half of the posts are useless, it was a mere exxageration to get my point through. I just wanted to open this thread to see if anyone also witnessed stuff like that. By the way, I enjoy my time here and am a loyal friend and member of the community. So no, this is definitely not a negative place.

And then goes on to another point of discussion. Are online friends better/can subsitude real friends? My opinion is flat out no, and never. The more time I spend near my computer with online friends the less I have time to meet or even talk on the phone with my real life friends. Again, it's not black or white. Not saying online friends are "bad". I once was at a lecture of a professional care/pyschotherapist for people with disabilities ( especially ADHD, Autism/Asperger, Learning disorders etc etc) and she stressed that exact same thing.

Some people get online and stay online and never go out to actually meet many MeatLife (tm Stella) friends, while others have no way to go anywhere or physical limitations or live in an area where there is nothing. So, being online can be it for some people.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

boredome
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 12:52 pm

i simply filter out the threads that don't interest me, and pay attention to those that do.

not all of them fit what you're describing after all.

GodzillaWoman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 1:15 pm

For me, this was the first place I ever could meet fellow people on the spectrum or talk about our issues. Since I was only diagnosed in late adulthood, a lot of what I was asking was "has anybody ever experienced ___ and what do you do about it?" I'm a grown up, I can decide whether or not to take the advice given. I find it has been the opposite of a replacement for face-to-face interactions: it's given me the courage to seek out people outside of the internet for the first time in years. I've already gone to one social event for autistic people, and I've got others in planning. I've come out to my family, and got very supportive reactions from them (and discovered that two of my cousins are diagnosed autistic). I see these online forums as being a way to explore ideas, test-drive my underdeveloped social skills, and just get an idea of what life is like for other autistic people. Even frivolous posts have their uses: they too are a kind of social connection.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 1:15 pm

No, I've never noticed it to be honest.

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 1:23 pm

This is exactly what I do too. I filter out threads. That's now though after I'm aware of the internet's dangers and pretty savvy with forums and computers and such. I had to go through all this the hard way, basically was thrown into deep water.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 1:47 pm

The threads about physical features in Aspies are the ones that annoy me the most, also they keep getting bumped. But now I just filter them out.

Also the ''is it an Aspie thing to eat bananas?'' or whatever, annoy me too.

Also the ''I'm getting diagnosed tomorrow!'' threads bore me too. I know this is an Autism forum and will typically be threads like that, but I just find them boring. I think it's because I was only 8 or 9 when I was diagnosed, and I don't remember what actually happened because I was just a child, and the adults done all the assessing and diagnosing, while I just had to go on having my behaviour observed and talked about, just to receive this diagnosis what I've always been bitter about.

Cockroach96
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 1:52 pm

It's OK for Wrong Planet to be this way.

sonicallysensitive
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Oct 2015, 4:37 pm

Life is essentially repetitive.

Did you eat today? Yes? But - you did that yesterday.

There are people here on WP who weren't here years ago. Certain insights/opinions may seem redundant to you, but they could be new to a new site user.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 4:58 pm

Chummy wrote:

It's either

or

Thank you so very much. You reminded me that we need a new, "complain about something random" thread! :P