Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 11:12 am

Who else get bored extremely easily? What do I mean? I mean endless hours spent at home, bored to basically tears, and anything you try to do doesn't help in the slightest, sometimes just increases the irritation. My issue is twofold.

Firstly the frequency at which I get bored, secondly the intense negative feelings I get when I am bored.

I barely watch non-sports TV or moves because they bore the hell out of me.
I absolutely cannot read anything (even things I'd normally have an interest in) because it makes me bored after 5 minutes and actually gives me anxiety.
I like video games, but have to play maybe 15 games before I fond one that I can get into. I had Gamefly and sent like almost every game back after 15 minutes of playing it.
I couldn't possibly think of any hobby type things that wouldn't bore me.
Most people are very boring to me.
Even things I "enjoy" like say, baseball, often get unwatchable for me because I get bored. And I actually really like baseball.
I have a hard time holding down jobs because my work tasks are too boring.
It's so bad my wife forbids the use of the word "bored" in the house or around her. I say it so much I have to say "B".

The bigger issue, is how angry I get when I am bored. I get angry to the point of literally hitting myself sometimes. I get bad anxiety if I know I have to be somewhere where I'm going to get bored or if I have a weekend coming up where I don't have anything to do that will amuse me for most of it.

Does anyone else have this problem this badly? How do you cope with it outside of going to a psychiatrist for meds? (something I am 100% against)

Cockroach96
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 11:14 am

I have a similar boredom problem. You can use Wrong Planet as a time killer.

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 11:30 am

I can relate. I do most of my learning on the computer (maths, science, computers etc.). When I leave my computer to charge I get bored.

When I get bored I usually:

-Read a book
-Go on a walk
-Eat
-Watch the National Geographic channel. I don't like the fishing stuff, I watch documentaries and a show called Border Security
-Go with my parents on a drive somewhere (to run errands)

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 11:36 am

Running/walking in circles is good to calm me down. The more bored I feel, the faster I run.
I happen to have stuff lying on the ground that I can run around.
There are some narrow parts where I need to be careful. It's kinda dangerous actually, but so far I haven't hurt myself.
Once I'm bored with it, I run counterclockwise. Sometimes I spin while walking in circles for extra difficulty.
If I get exhaused I only make big semi-fast steps.

It's possible to build a little obstacle course and invent your own rules on how to absolve it. That sounds fun.

Works for me, might not for you.

30400v
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Oct 2015, 11:47 am

Start making music

boredome
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 12:56 pm

when i feel like this i pace back and forth across my room while listening to music, or jump on my bed in time to the music. movement seems to help.

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 12:58 pm

From my experience hobbies and social networks (not Facebook of course, but rather a real life one) take time to cultivate, patience and effort. I guess I'd find something productive to do.

My roomie always plays video games and his work revolves around the computer as well, he's pretty lonely.

I actually knew an aspie person who always repeated the same things he said like I'm bored, nothing to do etc etc but to be honest not sure how it helps because he's not high functioning much.

Every time I do something I try to think of the pros of what I did. Say I have to run to make the bus and I'm all sweaty I'm like "excersize for a change! yay!" it's all in the thinking man. ^^

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2015, 1:13 pm

I can get bored really easy as well. In fact it puts me off doing a lot of things because I know that I will get bored very quickly.

However, I can spend hours and hours in my own company and be as happy as Larry (who ever he is).

Cyllya1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Oct 2015, 3:56 am

If you have lots of options, but they're always all boring, that sounds like depression (like, medical depression, as opposed to life-tangibly-sucks depression), especially since you mentioned that some of the boring things are things you like.

I have this problem when I am having a depressive episode. I don't get anger or anxiety caused by boredom itself, or expectation of boredom, but I do get anxiety, sadness, and some guilt/shame over how poorly I'm spending my time. (Like, the world is filled with so many incredible, interesting, and/or entertaining things that you could never hope to experience them all in a single human life time! Even the things I have access to right now without spending additional money is probably hundreds of hours of entertainment! ...and I'm looking at these bland captioned cat pictures on the internet. For hours. Days. Just going through the archives. Seriously, during my last episode, I came to the realization that the internet had run out of captioned cat pictures that I hadn't seen yet!)

My depression is cyclical, so I usually just have to wait it out, but as long as my depression is being treated, I don't have this problem very badly.

I'm not sure what you could do if you don't want medical treatment, but maybe try stuff like exercise, dietary changes, vitamin supplements, or meditation? Talk therapy might be worth a shot too, though I can't actually imagine it helping in this kind of situation.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2015, 4:38 am

When I feel like this, it's a sign that I'm depressed. Try to get some exercise like walking or running. You could get therapy of some sort rather than meds. They do CBT for depression. Try doing activities you normally enjoy, you might find yourself enjoying them if you stick to it.

Drawyer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2015, 4:51 am

Whenever I feel bored I clean...

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2015, 8:51 am

I only get bored at work. Being somewhere all day where I wouldn't be if it wasn't for money, and doing tasks all day what I could be doing at home, and having to be enthusiastic and interested in the work when it's the most boring, mundane thing ever - all makes me feel bored to the point where I become anxious. Sometimes I take a day sick now and again, just so I can go back to bed and know what I'm missing, and get myself lost in a Simpsons episode or something.

Ok I may get lonely if I'm at home on my own too much. But I don't get bored. There are always things to do, but there are no strict routines or rules that force you to have to do this and that when you don't feel like it.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2015, 9:19 am

Cyllya1 wrote:
My depression is cyclical, so I usually just have to wait it out, but as long as my depression is being treated, I don't have this problem very badly.

Same here. I find caffeine and St. John's Wort to be helpful, in times of extreme depression / dullness / boredom. Also, if I find my usual hobbies too boring, I write in my journal, start analyzing my life, my problems, my issues - it gives me something to focus on, and often helps me to figure out how to make positive changes in my life!

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2015, 8:02 pm

Earthling wrote:
Running/walking in circles is good to calm me down. The more bored I feel, the faster I run.
I happen to have stuff lying on the ground that I can run around.
There are some narrow parts where I need to be careful. It's kinda dangerous actually, but so far I haven't hurt myself.
Once I'm bored with it, I run counterclockwise. Sometimes I spin while walking in circles for extra difficulty.
If I get exhaused I only make big semi-fast steps.

It's possible to build a little obstacle course and invent your own rules on how to absolve it. That sounds fun.

Works for me, might not for you.

Yeah I've resorted to stupid little games like that since I was little. But then I realize how dumb what I'm doing is and any amusement is lost.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2015, 8:03 pm

Drawyer wrote:
Whenever I feel bored I clean...

That would be a great idea as my apt is a terrible mess. Hard to get motivated for that though. And I'm a pretty low energy person these days.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2015, 8:04 pm

30400v wrote:
Start making music

Great idea. Unfortunately I don't play any instruments. Really wish I would have learned one, but I doubt I could have actually played anything.