Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2015, 5:48 am

Has anyone else here with autism been diagnosed with schizophrenia?

I have mild schizo which is mostly auditory hallucinations. But also have visual ones on occasion. I was diagnosed when I was 12. It's mild enough so far that am not on medication for it yet.

Anyone else?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2015, 6:39 am

Not officially diagnosed.....but self-diagnosed as a certifiable nut.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2015, 8:53 am

I don't have that diagnosis, but I thought you might be interested in this data from a large survey of autistic adults in California:
https://spectrumnews.org/news/adults-wi ... -problems/

That study showed that rates of schizophrenia were much higher among autistic people than non-autistic people.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2015, 12:11 pm

EzraS wrote:

I have mild schizo which is mostly auditory hallucinations. But also have visual ones on occasion. I was diagnosed when I was 12. It's mild enough so far that am not on medication for it yet.

Anyone else?

I replied to another thread with this information but I can repeat, I technically have a diagnoses of both Autism and Schizophrenia but I don't have the symptoms and I consider that BS. I don't hallucinate, I am not paranoid, and I am not (too) delusional. I can't relate to a diagnosis of Schizophrenia and I can relate to diagnosis of Autism. If people can self diagnose, I am going self remove that diagnosis. I have never told a doctor I am Schizophrenic and probably never will, the hospital that diagnosed me as such was inapt.

IceLilja
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Oct 2015, 12:19 pm

I was told one can't have both at the same time

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2015, 2:26 pm

No. However, while studying ASD & related health things over the last couple of years I do recall reading that schizophrenics also respond positively to dietary changes such as df/gf etc as either the root cause, or a contributing factor, is intestinal. Balancing "the second brain" balances the first.

People are free to be skeptical or dismissive all they want, but I believe many "mental health" ailments are digestive in nature and that treating the enteric nervous system via diet and probiotics will vastly improve many of these conditions otherwise described as mental/in the brain & treated via pharmaceuticals.

I'm pro health & healing and am skeptical of Big Pharma suggesting the way to deal with things is via more of their product$ for life. But to each their own.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2015, 2:38 pm

IceLilja wrote:

You were misinformed. Perhaps the person who told you that was ignorant or confused or their understanding was based in out of date concepts.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2015, 4:22 pm

Adamantium wrote:
IceLilja wrote:

You were misinformed. Perhaps the person who told you that was ignorant or confused or their understanding was based in out of date concepts.

It's in the DSM IV criteria. It says "Criteria are not met for another specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder or Schizophrenia." But yeah that is out of date and he could have been told that before the DSM V came out. I never bought it of course because what happens if an autistic person gets schizophrenia, does that mean they are no longer autistic? Or what happens if a schizophrenic had autism in their childhood but was never diagnosed, does that mean they can't be diagnosed with autism?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2015, 5:33 pm

In my first assessment I was assessed as meeting the criteria for schizotypal PD, which is said to be on the schizophrenic spectrum, and schizotypal PD (and avoidant PD and dependant PD and Obsessive Compulsive PD and almost the whole C-cluster) but it all got dismissed because of ASD.
I do not think it is right.
Now I am seeing a new psychiatrist and he wants to put me on Abilify (anti-psychotic drug), because I experience disorganized thinking a lot and thought withdrawel and I often have music playing in my head i cannot stop.
Sometimes it stops but not when I want it.
Sometimes it gets very loud and I get disorganized and into overload.
So I asked the psychiatrist if I have schizophrenia, but he said that I don't have schizophrenia (but I had no assessment with him and only saw him 3 times by now), but he said that my symptoms can also occur in autism, though sometimes I doubt it, because many people here on WP seem very clear in their regular writing and I cannot write regular, I can be clear at times and am very disorganized at other times and then cannot comprehend texts at all or formulate a coherent answer, which is why I often do not answer to posts.
At other times I think it is maybe executive dysfunction (which I do have severely).
I have no auditory hallucinations and visual hallucinations only when waking up in the night, then there are beings in my room, like in silver strings, very transparant, but they dissapear after about a minute.
I can have paranoid episodes.
High anxiety levels, but not in the sense of social anxiety.
I guess, that next to autism I am a bit in the schizophrenic spectrum, but I refuse to take Abilify, I don't like drugs.
But maybe my guess is wrong.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

IceLilja

17 Oct 2015, 7:29 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Adamantium wrote:
IceLilja wrote:

It's in the DSM IV criteria. It says "Criteria are not met for another specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder or Schizophrenia." But yeah that is out of date and he could have been told that before the DSM V came out. I never bought it of course because what happens if an autistic person gets schizophrenia, does that mean they are no longer autistic? Or what happens if a schizophrenic had autism in their childhood but was never diagnosed, does that mean they can't be diagnosed with autism?

The way I interpret that sentence is that if those criteria were met, they would have made a diagnosis of schizophrenia instead of ASD. Not an expert, but I haven't really heard of it being common.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2015, 7:53 pm

dcj123 wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Anyone else?

I replied to another thread with this information but I can repeat, I technically have a diagnoses of both Autism and Schizophrenia but I don't have the symptoms and I consider that BS. I don't hallucinate, I am not paranoid, and I am not (too) delusional. I can't relate to a diagnosis of Schizophrenia and I can relate to diagnosis of Autism. If people can self diagnose, I am going self remove that diagnosis. I have never told a doctor I am Schizophrenic and probably never will, the hospital that diagnosed me as such was inapt.

It is probably on your file anyway. Your doctor most likely knows and doesn't tell you that you have (or thinks you have) Schizophrenia because anyone with a Schizo(anything) diagnosis apparently does not deserve the dignity of being notified of their diagnosis.

At some point Schizoaffective was added to my file, and I was never notified of when that occured. I was asking for a referal to a mindfulness 1on1 doctor who was covered under public health, and I forgot the fax number. So my doctor just printed out the referral and asked me to hand it to his secretary. Of course when I go to look and it and read it, it stated that I have Schizoaffective disorder, on top of the rest of the conditions I know I have. I don't think he, nor any other garbage doctor before him ever intended on informing me of such a diagnosis(which I beleive is total BS anyway).