Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

arcenciel22
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Nov 2015, 9:00 pm

Hi you all! New member to the forum here, thanks for having me :D well, i have asperger's (diagnosed) and aside from all the neurological and behavioral symptoms, I notice that some things on my body, and on my face specially, are a little odd. I was wondering if any of you have any of these as well...
– big facial asymmetry. The left side of my face seems to be the normal, well developed side, while the right seems to be the abnormal one. My right side seems to be very hypotonic compared to the left, it's even harder to lift my lips to smile on that side. I also have a little ptosis on the right eye (which I don't on the left one). I kind of diagnosed myself with something called hemifacial microsomia – a condition in which the tissue on one side of the face is underdeveloped (and this can include bone structure and muscles). Overall, all my right side features seem to sit lower on my face (my head also looks tilted to the right) and look "weaker", if that makes any sense. That also somewhat holds true for the body - shoulders and hips sit lower on the right side and left breast is a lot more developed than the right.
– receding chin / big overbite (it would've been huge hadn't I worn braces for 9 years) along with tented lips (read somewhere that it's a sign of neurological damage and probably autism) and high palate (before braces)
- hypotonic tongue - can't twist it and can't keep it stuck out of my mouth without it shaking (due to fatigue)
- weird shaped nose (none of my parents got this) - it's a little bulbous on the tip and the bone that spreads out from the bridge towards the cheeks is wider than the actual bidge, so it's like the shape of a lowercase phi letter.
- brow ridge (I'm a woman) - I might have got this from my mom, though...
- tuberous breasts
- hirsutism and lots of ingrown hairs in the bikini area and armpits when I shave
- kinky, coarse, frizzy hair - have been diagnosed with "pili torti/twisted hair" once. The hair also grows at a sluggish, almost non-existant rate in certain areas of my scalp, like the nape of the neck and upper hairline. Funny thing is that I used to have beautiful hair growing up. All this "kinkiness" started in puberty (LOL) and only kept getting worse with age (at this point I feel just like edward scissorhands, who probably was an aspie anyway, so).

...And probably some other things I'm forgetting about...

Do any of you present any of these features?

Could it all be related to my aspergers or it doesn't have anything to do with it at all?
Maybe I have another condition, like another syndrome or something that also causes my ASD?

For the record, I have asperger's along with ocd, probably gad, and depression.

Any thoughts on this?

P.s.1: please excuse my english, (I'm not a native speaker, as you can tell) and also for being so wordy
P.s.2: please don't worry about me, after all this hideous dysmorphic features I still manage to look quite good most of the times :P lol

Thanks!

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2015, 10:13 pm

Your English is really good, don't apologize because your English is better than many native English speakers on the internet.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2015, 10:14 pm

Rudin wrote:
Your English is really good, don't apologize because your English is better than many native English speakers on the internet.

Mhm. Its true that some Amerians are uneducated.
Btw Rudin are you Russian? Your username sounds Russian.

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2015, 10:50 am

DailyPoutine1 wrote:
Rudin wrote:

Mhm. Its true that some Amerians are uneducated.
Btw Rudin are you Russian? Your username sounds Russian.

No I am not Russian, I'm from Canada.

Rudin is actually an Austrian name. He was a mathematician that wrote the most widely used analysis texts.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2015, 11:04 am

I think it's coincidental.

arcenciel22
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Nov 2015, 2:46 pm

Rudin wrote:

Oh, thanks Rudin! I'm glad you think that way :) I always find a little intimidating to speak/write to native speakers, so I tend to apologize beforehand just in case.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2015, 4:08 pm

No it's just the way you are. Everybody has their own physical features in certain parts that makes them physically an individual. Just because you have those, doesn't mean it's linked to having Asperger's. Have you asked NTs if they have those, or seen NT's bodies? If not, then you can't prove anything. Like most Aspies on Autism forums, you're just correlating everything about you with Asperger's without thinking it through or with any real evidence.

I've seen different people's feet throughout my life, and some look really different and unusual. My feet aren't that bad; my toes are all in place and look rather average. But my (NT) cousin's feet are really weird. She has flat feet, and her big toe is separated from the rest of her toes, and her fifth toe (the one that is supposed to be little) is the second biggest toe on her feet. But I bet if an Aspie had those features on their feet, they would associate it with having Asperger's. :?

arcenciel22
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Nov 2015, 7:28 pm

I understand your point Joe90, but I think there are just too many odd things about me for every one of them to be totally unrelated. I actually did notice how NT's bodies are (can't say about other aspies as I'm not sure if I know any). You don't see a lot of people with as big of an overbite as me walking on the street (and I did read that this one might be related to ASD). Also, I have the biggest head of all (also read that it might be related to ASD), it's even bigger than the heads of any male I know. I study medicine, and from that I've learned the complex and harmonious machine the body is (in the sense of how much the systems, the reactions, the molecules and everything else is connected to one another). I sure have some things in my body that I don't like, but I know it's not necessarily linked to my asperger's. The thing is that some of the things I listed above seem more like abnormalities to me, instead of just normal variations. If I can't identify it either in my mother or in my father, that's seems even more "suspicious". I'm not saying it's my case, but I know that there are a few other conditions that can cause asperger's along with physical changes as well. I guess I'll have to wait till I get my genetic test to that find out. I just wondered if any other members here had the listed features so a connection with asperger's could be drawn.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2015, 5:15 am

Based on all the kids with autism I have gone to school with my whole life, most I have seen do not have any noticeable physical feature abnormalities. But have seen some asd kids who do.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2015, 6:18 am

I've noticed some people with learning difficulties and mental retardation have large overbites too. Maybe that is part of neurological conditions.

I don't have a large head. My head is small to average, probably smaller than what it looks because I have thick hair.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2015, 7:36 am

There have been several studies about physical (visible) traits of aspergers/autism, and none of them came up with any.
Some of them hinted that having an ASD might give you a higher chance of having an atypical morphology, but other than that, there was no 'common' trait, which a significant of test subjects displayed.

so no, your physique has nothing to do with aspergers, it's just an (unlucky) coïncidence.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2015, 9:21 am

I think one should look at the three large photo galleries here on WP. You'll notice the vast gamut of facial people of people with Asperger's/autism.

arcenciel22
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Nov 2015, 10:24 am

izzeme wrote:
so no, your physique has nothing to do with aspergers, it's just an (unlucky) coïncidence.

Ok about the rest of your post, but I'll have to disagree with you when you say that's unlucky. I don't regret the way I am or look. Of course I would've preferred not to have any of these traits, but overall I look quite good (despite how it may sound) and other people probably don't notice any of these things about me. I'm just very detail-oriented and a huge perfectionist :P