Page 4 of 10 [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 10:19 am

Oscar Wilde had lots of reasons to be cynical.

He was an effeminate gay man in Victorian England. Gayness was punishable by death then.

But he said, in essence, in modern terms, "Cynicism is just wack!"

He was a very piquant judge of human nature. He wrote a sarcastic/sardonic, satirical work known as "The Importance of being Earnest."

He was satirizing some guy named "Earnest," and the idea of being overly earnest.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 12 Nov 2015, 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 10:21 am

^Oh. Now I feel silly. :oops:

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 10:23 am

Why do you feel silly?

SoMissunderstood
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Nov 2015, 10:23 am

Here's a nice one for cockroach:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 10:24 am

Trust me, Theodore Roosevelt was a man who was very tough on himself.

He was a very sickly child who decided, "f**k it," and started to try to improve his mind and body.

He was a difficult man in some ways--but he really succeeded in improving the minds and bodies of many people.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 12 Nov 2015, 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 10:25 am

^So in other words, he was a lot like me.
I feel silly because I didn't know all of that about Oscar Wilde, and this is coming from a girl who can read a 500 paged book in a day.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 10:27 am

You definitely have to read about him, then.

He was an interesting character. Not very likeable in some ways.

But interesting, nevertheless.

He went through lots of crap from society--and he was not always a good role model.

But his message about cynicism resonates with me.

SoMissunderstood
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Nov 2015, 10:28 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Trust me, Theodore Roosevelt was a man who was very tough on himself.
So is cockroach.

SoMissunderstood
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Nov 2015, 10:30 am

Kuraudo777 wrote:
^So in other words, he was a lot like me.
I feel silly because I didn't know all of that about Oscar Wilde, and this is coming from a girl who can read a 500 paged book in a day.

I knew all that about Oscar, but his misanthropic views kinda struck a deep chord and I was more into his 'Picture of Dorian Gray' stuff more...I love that book...

Cockroach96
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 11:08 am

Oscar Wilde was one of the most realistic people who ever existed. He said that you can only be happy with a woman if you don't love her. So true!

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 11:17 am

^That's potentially an insult to lesbians, which I likely am.

MoonUnitPatrol
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Nov 2015, 11:22 am

I was raised with word the "please" - Allow me to explain, specifically: I was born in Southern Ohio which is primarily of German heritage (as am I); in this part of Ohio most of us say "Please?" instead of the usual response to a question "Excuse me?". (This is derived from the German word and the original use of the word "Bitte" which means "Please")

Most people do not get this at all - When I lived in Texas then moved to N.Y.C. and someone asked me something and I needed them to repeat themselves I would say "Please?"; in both States they would just look at me not knowing what I meant. It was always kind of humorous to me. :lol:

As far as being polite. I consider it a necessity. Our civilization has evolved over many Millennium and with it so has our languages and interaction. Myself, and the people I grew up with (family, friends, etc) consider the lack of proper manners a shameful thing.

My ancient ancestors of what was at one time called "Germania" were essentially barbarians, small tribes fighting over forests and involved in every sort of sordid activity imaginable. It has changed much since 100 A.D., obviously. Manners are an aspect of diplomacy, and diplomacy allows for the peaceful settlement of feuds instead of fueling altercations by ongoing hostilities.

Cockroach96
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 11:30 am

Kuraudo777 wrote:
^That's potentially an insult to lesbians, which I likely am.

Anything is insulting to you.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 11:32 am

^How did you come to this intriguing conclusion?
MoonUnitPatrol: I totally agree that politeness is a human necessity as much as water and food and so forth are.

Cockroach96
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 11:33 am

You must be an aristocrat or something. :lol:

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 11:45 am

^ 8O I hope not! Yikes. That would be kind of scary...