Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

brandonb1312
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Nov 2015, 10:02 pm

I have ocd and generalized anxiety and I feel like I have no control over my mind. I just want to be free. I am so tired of never feeling content. I was perscribed to take 300mg of gabapentin 2 times a day as needed. I just took 1500mg of it cause I am so tired of anxiety. I know that was a mistake but I need to know what you guys think I should do from here, what is your advice?

You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2015, 10:17 pm

Unsure if it would be helpful to you in particular but vipassana meditations can work on issues such as these. Being mindful of where your thoughts are going, deconstructing them and watching them move objectively, and learning to separate those thoughts from the construct of self. I got interested in this process from a similar standpoint of trying to control self-obsessive circular thoughts, and if you're consistent with it it does begin to gently change your thinking processes. I read an article once that vipassana in particular but meditation in general can to a certain extent naturally achieve the changes that medications offer - and no, I'm not saying you should stop taking medication and "think yourself better," only that this process could help gradually and increasingly, to feel calmer. :)

B19
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2015, 11:32 pm

Gabapentin is a very useful drug for neuropathic pain and Parkinson's Disease, which are its main uses. There are far better alternatives for dampening anxiety. If your anxiety is due to low Gaba levels, Clonazepam would possibly be a better choice if you want to go with a prescription alternative. There are herbs which have the same effect and also some amino acids. The dose you took as one off probably won't have dire effects, though if you notice any then it may be worth seeing your GP. Upping a dose of a drug doesn't always mean that its efficacy is increased; if it isn't working for you at one level, it may not work for you at a higher level. Not everyone responds to drugs in the same way. Some people get no effect at all.