Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 12:16 am

Did you ever think that you were better off being born with a disorder because you might have been a horrible person as an NT?

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 12:52 am

Not all NTs are horrible. I'd say most aren't. I don't think being an aspie makes someone any better or worse than an NT. Our brains just work differently. It's hard to tell what I would've been like if I wasn't born autistic. I really excel in math and computer science, and I'm pretty sure my Asperger's Syndrome has a lot to do with that.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 1:04 am

I never thought about I would be a horrible person if I were NT. In fact I thought the opposite. I thought I would be better off ret*d because then I wouldn't have to worry about high expectations and getting in trouble with the law if anyone took advantage of me but then I find out they still go to prison and the judge doesn't care if they don't know right from wrong or of someone took advantage of them or if they were tricked and low IQ isn't a get out of free jail card. So I don't feel that way anymore. No point in having it. Then I thought at 16 I am better off normal so my life would be easier and I wouldn't be going through hell because I am not autistic enough for my parents to accommodate me to make me not anxious. Instead I was expected to stop it and that made my anxiety worse. What is a point in a diagnoses if it does nothing for you? That was my mindset then because it was what I was taught from society growing up. When you have a disability, you get your way and rules don't apply to you. I found out at 15 I had a disability so I wanted that privilege other special needs kids got when I was little. My mom says I took it too literal.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 1:26 am

saxgeek wrote:
Not all NTs are horrible.

That's true, but being a bully or a manipulator, for example, require social intuition and good processing abilities, so someone who lacks these things seems less likely to be that sort of person.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 3:28 am

Didnt realize that it worked that way.

The only options are: impaired, or bad.

And further:that no impaired people are bad, and that all unimpaired people are bad. :lol:

schopenhauer with a keyboard
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Dec 2016, 3:54 am

no.
it's basically like saying would you rather an NT was born instead of you anyway as we wouldn't truly be 'us' anymore, but just for the sake of myself i'd choose an NT to be born instead of me.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 4:15 am

schopenhauer with a keyboard wrote:
no.
it's basically like saying would you rather an NT was born instead of you anyway as we wouldn't truly be 'us' anymore, but just for the sake of myself i'd choose an NT to be born instead of me.

What?

schopenhauer with a keyboard
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Dec 2016, 4:47 am

starkid wrote:
schopenhauer with a keyboard wrote:
no.

What?

what don't you get?
a huge part of what defines ourselves is our autism, without it i assume our whole brain would be wired differently and we would be a different person.
therefore it's like asking would you rather have been born, or not have been born, and instead someone who maybe looks like you have been born in your place without the disorder.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

21 Dec 2016, 7:21 am

I've thought about it, from the perspective of where I am from, that I probably was lucky in some ways to be so withdrawn from my peers during my teen years as most my peers where I am from didn't finish high school, started using hard drugs, and became criminals but I like to think my moral compass would have still guided me. I feel like I've missed out on more and blown more things than I can remember, I think even if I was normal in that situation that I'd probably still be happier in the end.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 10:06 am

To me its a really oddly framed question.

I guess you could reframe it as: "would you rather be a well adjusted autistic, or be a damaged neurotic neurotypical?"

pasty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Dec 2016, 11:45 am

I'd rather be exactly who I am- struggles and all- because I have a rich inner life. I'm afraid that if I had been born "normal" I would be incomplete. My brain is complex. Being a 4-dimensional thinker in a 3-dimensional world is hard, but so rewarding. I always have myself, and that's a person I really enjoy being with and thinking with.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 11:55 am

I definitely used to feel that way. I figured being NT meant being a bully, and I didn't want to be like that. Then my NT mother started challenging my negative views of NTs, and I also met some autistic bullies, and I realized being a crappy person doesn't have much to do with being autistic or NT.

I still wouldn't want a cure, because I'd no longer be me. But I don't think autistics are better than NTs anymore.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 12:05 pm

Ettina wrote:
I definitely used to feel that way. I figured being NT meant being a bully, and I didn't want to be like that. Then my NT mother started challenging my negative views of NTs, and I also met some autistic bullies, and I realized being a crappy person doesn't have much to do with being autistic or NT.

I still wouldn't want a cure, because I'd no longer be me. But I don't think autistics are better than NTs anymore.

This.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 2:09 pm

Ettina wrote:

Good for you.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 2:15 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Didnt realize that it worked that way.

The only options are: impaired, or bad.

And further:that no impaired people are bad, and that all unimpaired people are bad. :lol:

You've misunderstood my post if this is what you think it means. Seems like black & white thinking you're doing here.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2016, 2:35 pm

My disorder doesn't define me, really. Especially when it comes to "good and "evil."

I feel I would have been more successful had I not had a disorder.

But some things about having a disorder makes me better able to be compassionate to others who are not in the mainstream. I'm able to be compassionate because of actual experience, not some theoretical notion of what "disordered" people are like.

I have met some nice people as a result of being disordered. I've bought out the worst in others, however.