Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

legomyego
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Nov 2015, 12:54 am

I am capable of living independently but have been living with my parents for several years now since going on disability a couple of years ago. I do not know how to move out, or navigate the route to which I would achieve this goal. Anyone have some advice as to how this may be accomplished? I am always stepping on egg shells around my father and am always of the opinion (usually correct) that I am making my dad mad by this or that. I do not wish to make him mad, I do not wish to have all this thought directed into trying to not make him mad. I also think that getting my own place would hopefully be one more step towards getting off of disability which I do not like being on.

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."-George Washington

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2015, 10:37 am

My local Social Services office gives advice for situations like this... Maybe there's something like that in your area?

If you're in the US, there are senior apartments for low-income people (which is my plan when I'm a bit older!) But if you can get in touch with Social Services, perhaps they could advise you in finding a new place, and making the move.

Good luck - sorry things are stressful right now!

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2015, 10:59 am

legomyego wrote:
I am capable of living independently but have been living with my parents for several years now since going on disability a couple of years ago. I do not know how to move out, or navigate the route to which I would achieve this goal. Anyone have some advice as to how this may be accomplished? I am always stepping on egg shells around my father and am always of the opinion (usually correct) that I am making my dad mad by this or that. I do not wish to make him mad, I do not wish to have all this thought directed into trying to not make him mad. I also think that getting my own place would hopefully be one more step towards getting off of disability which I do not like being on.

Is 65 actually your age? In the US, most areas have affordable housing designated for seniors and also for people with disabilities. I would try for something like that, there may be waiting lists, however.

You also need to run your numbers - I assume you pay $0 rent now, and your total income is your disability check. I don't know how much savings you have. How much rent can you afford? I'm not asking you to post this here, but this is the first question you need to look at.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2015, 9:31 pm

Are you after advice on how to proceed financially, socially, logistically? Or in another way?
I was in a similar position. That being unsatisfactory I did some research - call or go into a social housing office and see if you are eligible for community/social housing and get that wheel rolling as it can be (though not always, which I'll get to below) be the cheapest option where rent is concerned. They can often also help with attending your medical problems to get off disability (I hated being on it too). Run some numbers and look around at other forms of low cost housing - share housing, stay rates at hostels (sometimes partially covered by working their desk for some hours a day) boarding houses and refuges, or even if you could afford something like a campervan/RV/caravan. The streets/wilds is an option too though you may receive some negativity for that or it may not be appropriate if you have medical concerns. Similar with squatting - can be good but you can get into trouble in some instances if caught. You can also find some niches where you work on say a farm for a few hours a day in exchange for lodgings.
After that, I got rid of all belongings that were nonessential, so when I moved, I could transport my stuff myself and didn't need to pay for or organise a moving company. Again, not sure if that's applicable to you but certainly an option. Also a point of consideration could be if you are looking to get off disability and work, moving closer to cities or larger towns might be helpful, so look for places to stay around those areas.
With family contention, I mentioned I may be moving soon, but did not let them in on any of my plans or progress, just said it to prepare them for the possibility. Then when I was actually ready I let them know a few days before. This minimised drama. All things working out, you should be able to organise your accommodations and just arrive with a few bags and yourself, or a car if you drive and have access to one.