Why do people glorify the parasitic lifestyle?

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

DestinedToBeAPotato
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: floating on the molecular clouds of interstellar space

09 Jun 2015, 4:45 am

There was a girl bragging about how she got herself a "sugar daddy" and how he would pay all of her bills. Everyone else started to congratulate her and many others shared anecdotes about how they'd done the same or were willing to be financially dependent on their boyfriend/husband/wife/GF etc.. And it baffled me.. How is this something to be celebrated? How is this something to proud of? Folks here are essentially saying that they're parasites who latch onto those who have already accomplished something in their lives. It all seems rather superficial and chauvinistic. And not only is it materialistic but it puts them at a great disadvantage when the relationship ends, and it opens up the opportunity for abuse and manipulation (financially speaking ) - why would anyone willingly put themselves in such a position?
What happened to being independent and working your way through? I don't understand it at all.. Anyone else confused by this?

jimmyboy76453
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2015, 5:59 am

Everyone has different priorities. I tend to feel similarly to you; I'd want to be able to support myself financially and I'd want the same for my spouse because I want us both to be in the relationship because we want to be, not because either of us has to be. I wouldn't be in a relationship that didn't center around love. Money is irrelevant and fickle. There is no guarantee that it will last or stay, and all careers are capable of ending.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2015, 7:09 am

Hmmm.

I understand it (as a good thing) from the position of reaching a place where there is an achievement of economic security. Women (in my opinion) have this edge over men. Find a man of means and satisfy him so he takes care of you and you are set for a good life.

Some people wouldn't want that, but I can understand the attraction.

In a way, doing it yourself is not that different. Someone who gets a sugar daddy does it by marketing sex. Other people do it by marketing other skills. Use what you have I suppose.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2015, 10:25 am

I once bumped into this alternative set of Values & Beliefs. I was eating breakfast at a popular greasy spoon place. Seated in the booth behind me were two strippers from a nearby strip club; I could not help but overhear their conversation.

One of them had received an offer from a gentleman fan to set her up in her own apartment if she would stop stripping and instead be his steady girlfriend. The two ladies were discussing the pro's and con's of his proposal. The concern was what would happen if the relationship ended. They concluded that she should hold out for a wedding ring so that if/when things ended she could thereafter count on alimony income.

I was taken aback, yet grateful for the lesson in wisdom that not all people share the same Values & Beliefs. My naïveté was served a wake-up call that may help me in the future.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2015, 10:37 am

Humans are lazy-ass creatures who've been brain-washed by a lazy-ass government.
The government itself is a system of lies & deception & deceit.
Its "education"™ system teaches the exact opposite of what is "truthful"™ information.
The government is nothing more than a parasitical-religion & everybody on earth is its cult-member.

P.S.: The word "psychotronic"™ should be in everybody's vocabulary.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2015, 11:25 am

I've always had a "pioneering" attitude - that one should be able to stand on one's own two feet (unless physically unable, ill, etc.). My wife feels the same - and is a very hard working person.

Even built my own house - much of it with my own two hands (rather than contracting it out). And yes - it was a challenge.

So, I have a hard time with people that are lazy and want to hitch a free ride on someone else.

DestinedToBeAPotato
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: floating on the molecular clouds of interstellar space

09 Jun 2015, 4:22 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
Hmmm.

I understand it (as a good thing) from the position of reaching a place where there is an achievement of economic security. Women (in my opinion) have this edge over men. Find a man of means and satisfy him so he takes care of you and you are set for a good life.

Some people wouldn't want that, but I can understand the attraction.

In a way, doing it yourself is not that different. Someone who gets a sugar daddy does it by marketing sex. Other people do it by marketing other skills. Use what you have I suppose.

Ahh I guess that's understandable. The idea of stability of some sort is extremely appealing, I never really looked at it that way. Thanks for putting it into perspective! :D

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2015, 4:32 pm

Marky9 wrote:
I once bumped into this alternative set of Values & Beliefs. I was eating breakfast at a popular greasy spoon place. Seated in the booth behind me were two strippers from a nearby strip club; I could not help but overhear their conversation.

One of them had received an offer from a gentleman fan to set her up in her own apartment if she would stop stripping and instead be his steady girlfriend. The two ladies were discussing the pro's and con's of his proposal. The concern was what would happen if the relationship ended. They concluded that she should hold out for a wedding ring so that if/when things ended she could thereafter count on alimony income.

I was taken aback, yet grateful for the lesson in wisdom that not all people share the same Values & Beliefs. My naïveté was served a wake-up call that may help me in the future.

Psychopaths 8O
...probably much more common than I had thought.

Cesar
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jun 2015, 4:45 pm

Who doesn't want to be a member of the upper class?

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2015, 4:54 pm

I would guess that most individuals who choose this lifestyle have never actually lived it before. When you agree to serve as another individual's concubine, you are essentially a slave in all ways but the title. Sure, it starts out quite enjoyable only to turn rapidly into servitude. "Since you are home all day, could you do the laundry ... and the dishes ... and shovel the snow from the sidewalk ... and pick up my dry cleaning" etc.

But, hey, if an individual is so inclined to do so, that is his or her choice. Don't react with surprise when a new, younger version of yourself moves in on the same day you get kicked to the curb.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2015, 5:18 pm

You are asking a leading question by referring to it as a "parasitic" lifestyle. Parasites infect their hosts without permission of, or benefit to, the host, so they are not analogous to these sugar babies, who have clearly entered into some sort of symbiotic relationship with their sugar parents. Such people are effectively doing the same thing as anyone else with a job: trading something that they have or can provide for something that they want/need. It is very unlikely that they are getting money and other benefits from people for absolutely nothing in return.

As for being materially independent, it is all but impossible in the contemporary world; the most one can hope for is a favorable position of interdependence. Employees rely on their bosses for jobs; the self-employed rely on their clients for business; all of them rely on markets, and modern markets are based on wage slavery and traditional slavery, and exist as a continuing legacy of stolen or monopolized land and other natural resources. The entire U.S. economy, for example, would not exist if not for the theft and genocide perpetrated by the European colonists. We're all parasites; the hosts are simply removed in time and space.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2015, 5:21 pm

I think of it as a competition. The rules change based on your location and status, but the aim is still success/access to a desirable lifestyle.

The example of the sugar daddy relationship seems to me to encompass different types of symbiotic relationships, not just parasitic.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2015, 5:29 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
Hmmm.
Women (in my opinion) have this edge over men. Find a man of means and satisfy him so he takes care of you and you are set for a good life.

In order for this situation to prevail in a culture, there must first exist a climate in which womyn are viewed as commodities. It is no privilege whatsoever to be viewed as a commodity, especially a sexual commodity.

Cesar
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jun 2015, 5:32 pm

Veteran,
What the women have to do with "parasitic lifestyle"?

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2015, 5:35 pm

Cesar wrote:
Who doesn't want to be a member of the upper class?

I don't. Overall, I like my life the way it is. My husband and I work in jobs that we like, share what we have, and enjoy a comfortable degree of financial security. While I certainly enjoy a few material treats and sometimes wonder what it would be like to have money and time to do whatever I want, I really get sick to my stomach when I hear people bragging about how much something cost them, see the masses lined up outside stores for the latest version of whatever gew-gaw they're supposed to crave (despite the fact that they may already be in debt), trampling one another during Black Friday, or turning their noses up at something just because it doesn't have an expensive logo on it.

I have an intelligent, talented co-worker who admits straight-up that she wants to "marry money," and I JUST DON'T GET IT either--except that I know she grew up in an arrogant, elitist, materialistic home and is rather screwed in the head herself, ego-wise, so perhaps that's what's going on with some people. Maybe others just don't know that self-support might be more satisfying. They don't see that pimping themselves out can be pretty frickin' sad. Maybe they've given up hope that they'll ever be able to support themselves, so they become convinced that getting a sugar daddy or sugar momma is a good thing...

I've seen people with way too little money, and others with way too much--either way, it's ugly.

I'm thankful that my parents taught me to save well but also enjoy the treats I can afford. I really feel lucky to have that kind of balance and know that I shouldn't take my financial comfort for granted, and perhaps best of all, my husband has a similar mindset and money-management skills. While my friend is struggling to put her two sons through college, her scum-bag husband is actually spending $$$ on an "acoustics room" so he'll have a nice place to play any of the guitars he's collecting...but he doesn't even know how to play one yet....

SMH!

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2015, 5:47 pm

Cesar wrote:
Veteran,
What the women have to do with "parasitic lifestyle"?

Who? Veteran is a post ranking, not a username, at least on this thread.

Last edited by starkid on 09 Jun 2015, 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.