Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2015, 10:45 am

I'm depressed so I talked to someone from my mental health place today. I mentioned autism and she said they felt I was not on the spectrum but it sort of seemed like I was because I'm gifted. I've had mental health people think I was mild AS in the past however. I don't know if going through testing would really improve my life however, or even if my insurance would allow it.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2015, 10:53 am

To clarify, what is hampering my life is the severe mood disorder. When I was either asymptomatic or had my mood under control, I was working, living on my own, etc...

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

Idealist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Dec 2015, 12:10 pm

Angnix wrote:
I'm gifted...

How would you best describe this gift of yours?

Idealist wrote:
My Autism was cured/treated in late childhood (this makes me a walking, talking, contradiction to 90% of the Forum who all believe Autism is incurable)

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2015, 1:16 pm

Idealist wrote:
Angnix wrote:
I'm gifted...

How would you best describe this gift of yours?

High intelligence. I've had more than one professional say that my IQ is higher than what it was tested as when I was a child (120's). They say it seems like I have special interests but it comes out of that.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2015, 4:10 pm

Getting diagnosed is needed to get special help. The tricky thing for us 'gifted' and at times very high functioning aspies is that we used to find a way of passing as functional, and have less trouble not melting down at any given moment (as adults, that is, in my case. I used to as a child).
So it's hard to convince anyone that we need special treatment.
But chances are, regular treatment won't be useful at all.

In my case, working from home with limited human contact, often none for over a day, helped my depression more than the opposite.

So, whereas even some close friends don't believe I'm on the spectrum, treating myself that way helped me.
And I think it was useful to realize that, I mean, it feels like I've been given an operating manual for myself, in a way.