Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Rachael.Eve
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Jan 2016, 2:47 pm

BitterGeek wrote:
I live in the suburbs of Boston.

AANE is a mixed bag. Expect a long bureaucratic process to get employment supports. The social support groups are meh.

The self-organized meetups on Meetup.com are pretty good and run by persons with ASD. I'm a member of the Boston Adults With Asperger's meetup.

Hit me up via private message if you want.

Hey! I just PM'd you

Rachael.Eve
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Jan 2016, 2:47 pm

Darmok wrote:
> Moving To Boston

Best city in the world. :mrgreen:

I'm so excited!

Rachael.Eve
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Jan 2016, 2:49 pm

BrainPower101 wrote:
Boston and MA is considered the Autism state I would stay away from there. It's also where a school called Judge Rotenberg Center is present.. They treat all Autistics like animals..

MA is also associated with Autism Speaks and are obsessed with Autism in general, literally 85% of Autism news or studies come from MA..

I've never heard of that school could you explain more? I won't be going there at all if that's what you're wondering. Yeah it seems like they do do a lot regarding autism and autism research and whatnot probably bc there are a lot of universities around the area.

Rachael.Eve
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Jan 2016, 2:50 pm

BitterGeek wrote:
BrainPower101 wrote:
Boston and MA is considered the Autism state I would stay away from there. It's also where a school called Judge Rotenberg Center is present.. They treat all Autistics like animals..

MA is also associated with Autism Speaks and are obsessed with Autism in general, literally 85% of Autism news or studies come from MA..

Boston by sheer numbers of Autistc Cousins is one of the best cities to be in. The Judge Rotenberg Center doesn't represent the peer-organized supports which are quite good.

Yeah tbh I'd probably be more in the peer organized support groups.

Rachael.Eve
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Jan 2016, 2:52 pm

tcorrielus wrote:
Hi Rachael. I'm originally from and still live in the greater Boston area. There is this place called the Asperger's Association of New England (AANE) located in Watertown, MA and there are several local MBTA (T) buses that take you there (if you don't have a car). Boston is a nice city, but you must accustom yourself to the snow there since you're from FL.

Have you ever had problems making best friends with people?

Yeah I actually like cold weather and hate FL's weather so I'm ready.

Rachael.Eve
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Jan 2016, 2:55 pm

Sorry I'm just getting back to everyone and I've been really busy and I haven't really been checking up on this much to be honest. Thank you all for your responses I was just in Boston with my family about three weeks ago to attend an AANE conference and wow! It seems like there are far more supports and programs than FL has ever had.