A narrow topic is a topic you're not interested in

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 12:51 am

One of my "narrow" interests is eyes. It doesn't feel narrow to me at all, but I know it seems narrow to other people. Geology and marine biology seem like narrow interests to me, but I know they don't seem narrow to other people. I believe broad and narrow is a very relative term to people.

zzaspergerzz
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Feb 2016, 12:55 am

Know what you mean. My interests are narrow by most others' definitions, but virtually everything else on the planet seems narrow to me.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 1:43 am

zzaspergerzz wrote:
Know what you mean. My interests are narrow by most others' definitions, but virtually everything else on the planet seems narrow to me.

I also notice this with music genres and other cultures. People from other parts of the world lump all North American music into one category. We lump all of their music into one category as well.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 2:44 am

I thought it had more to do with few people being interested instead of a lot if people being interested in whatever.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 6:46 am

A "narrow" interest, to me, would be an interest only in the retina of the eye, rather than an interest in the entire eye.

Or in interest only in igneous rock, rather than the entirety of geology itself.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 1:18 pm

I find that even the most narrow interests tend to widen over time - the more you discover, the more you realise how much more there is to discover. Each deeper understanding of the subject reveals ever greater levels of previously hidden detail - I would say that this is precisely what defines an "interesting" subject for me.

Personally, I think Ezra has said it just right. When most people accuse us of having "narrow" interests, they very often just mean that our interests are not "popular" - and that is not the same thing at all! I know plenty of NT people that I think of as having narrow and/or trivial interests - why are they a fan of only that particular sports team? only that one genre of music? only one particular kind of super-hero movie? Those can all be equally narrow interests - but they are popular, so attract much less criticism.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 1:22 pm

Having narrow interests means that you're only interested in a few specific things and not interested in anything else.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 1:40 pm

I don't feel that my interests are narrow at all. It's just that most average people couldn't care less about them. I actually have an enormous amount of curiosity and like many things.

Maybe I don't fit the diagnostic criteria in that way. I'm interested in certain fields of study that include many other things that interest me. So I like anthropology, which is related to a love of ethnic foods, and related to psychology, and related to liking antiques, and linguistics is a subfield of anthropology.

Same with biology. But then I like lots of other things. My special interests are basically anything I like enough to get obsessed with for a period of time, however long that may be. And I never do anything halfway. If I like something, I can't stop doing it.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 2:23 pm

I've also heard it's also related to social behavior. If someone is interested in animals in general and only talks about animals it's considered a narrow interest. If someone is very interested in cats, but can easily talk about other stuff it might not be considered a narrow interest. As I'm treating my symptoms I still notice my interests and obsessions, I'm just socially connected enough to talk about other stuff.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 2:33 pm

Really, as I think about it, I think of "animals" as being a broad interest, and a specific animal to be a narrow interest.

Narrow doesn't necessarily have to mean "bad." The intense focus on narrow interests, at times, has led to great inventions.

Isaac Newton had many narrow interests, including the idea of gravity. Without his intense focus on the "narrow" interest of gravity, we wouldn't have Newton's theories; by extension, we probably would not have Einstein's theories, either.

The point is that having narrow interests can be useful--especially when one is able to bypass those interests at times, and be interested in other things.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 2:46 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Really, as I think about it, I think of "animals" as being a broad interest, and a specific animal to be a narrow interest.

Narrow doesn't necessarily have to mean "bad." The intense focus on narrow interests, at times, has led to great inventions.

Isaac Newton had many narrow interests, including the idea of gravity. Without his intense focus on the "narrow" interest of gravity, we wouldn't have Newton's theories; by extension, we probably would not have Einstein's theories, either.

The point is that having narrow interests can be useful--especially when one is able to bypass those interests at times, and be interested in other things.

Now that I'm getting better I still have a bunch of narrow interests. While I enjoy talking about my narrow interests I can also talk about what's going on with other people.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 2:48 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
As I'm treating my symptoms I still notice my interests and obsessions, I'm just socially connected enough to talk about other stuff.

That is amazing progress. I have trouble talking to anyone, because I have zero understanding of popular culture, or anything outside my own special interests. I'm happy being this way though, so it's not something I care about 'overcoming'. For me it would just be trying to conform, and suppress my true nature, for no particular reason at all.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 3:01 pm

Ashariel wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:
As I'm treating my symptoms I still notice my interests and obsessions, I'm just socially connected enough to talk about other stuff.

That is amazing progress. I have trouble talking to anyone, because I have zero understanding of popular culture, or anything outside my own special interests. I'm happy being this way though, so it's not something I care about 'overcoming'. For me it would just be trying to conform, and suppress my true nature, for no particular reason at all.

Since I'm an extrovert it's crucial for me to treat my symptoms. When I don't have enough satisfying social interaction I go into a horrible depression. Now that I think of it, all the time I spent on the computer growing up was just me looking for more satisfying social interactions.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 3:23 pm

Alt-text: "Our brains have just one scale, and we resize our experiences to fit."

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 4:24 pm

My interests have always been narrow enough to just fall short of any practical application. That is how I define narrow interest.

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 4:46 pm

I think narrow interest is subjective. If it's all you do, then people will call it narrow. Like if all you do is play video games and read about them and watch videos of them more than you do anything else, people will call it narrow.

I don't think mine are narrow because I like to read a lot of things and look lot of things up online. When I was a kid I would say mine were more narrow because I wouldn't look anything up online unless it was about certain things. Like if I went to the encyclopedia, it had to be about London. If I went to a bookstore, I would try and find anything London related rather it was maps or books so I would go to the travel section. When I was obsessed with 101 Dalmatians, I would try and find dalmatian books and on the movie or TV show. I wouldn't try and find other books to read. People might call that narrow because it was about one thing. I was focused on one dog breed, one city, one movie.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.