Autistic who likes to blast loud music?

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

marcb0t
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 9:24 pm

Even with music that I really really like, I don't like to blast it too loud. I sometimes turn the volume down a notch from the highest point with my headphones. My headphones keep a comfortable distance from my ear canals, so I get the most natural sound. And they don't have noise cancelling, and don't have a very loud output in general. But it makes it safer, because I can still hear cars on the road when I'm walking.

I had more of a tolerance for loud trance, techno music when I was a teen. But if I don't like the music, it literally can be painful if loud. Country music is always painful. :P

I wonder if our preference of the music effects how well our brains can tolerate the noise.

People whistling, train horns/whistles, bus warning beepers, emergency vehicles, certain people's voices can really hurt my ears or drive me up the wall! 8O Some might say these are symptoms of "misophonia". Whistling is not particulary loud, nor are the singing mice from the movie "Cinderella", but for some reason, they tend to bother me sooo much. :?

Also, I hate it when people slam pallets at my work. Like a bunch of balloons popping in the ears all day. But some days, I'm not as sensitive to it as others. So it seems to go up and down.

Noise sensitivity has never been bad enough with me to be "debilitating" per se. Mostly annoying and stressful, if anything.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 9:42 pm

In one parodic song, the people in an insane asylum weave baskets.

In part, I think this pastime, as well as the music, would tend to be therapeutic, because it's engaging a disoriented person into an orderly process, or rhythm.

They say that music sooths the savage beast.

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 9:45 pm

He could still be autistic (not all autistics have sensory issues). He could still have sensory issues (there are hypersensitivities AND hyposensitivities). Examples of hyposensitivities include: not feeling pain, spicy foods taste bland, normal lights and colors are not stimulating enough, seems oblivious to certain sounds, etc.

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol:

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 9:48 pm

At the risk of being disrespectful, I'm thinking of the auditory version of banging your head against the wall.

boygeniusemil
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Feb 2016, 2:32 am

Not all autistics experience sensory aversion in the same way, and some may experience it in an area that others don't experience at all.

I do not like loud music if someone else is in control of the music being played, and the level of the volume. Especially the car radio. For some reason, loud music in the car makes me nauseous.

But, if I am in the mood and I'm controlling the music and volume, I enjoy loud music on occasion.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2016, 4:13 am

I have always LOVED loud and deep bass, the kind that vibrates the air and shakes your guts and pulsates the floor. I used to have a subwoofer that would extend down to the lowest note a 64' pipe organ bourdon or contra bombarde pipe makes [16 cycles per second], which sounds and feels a bit like an aircraft landed on your roof. my audio system surrounds me with loud and clean music, almost all of which contains enjoyable bass frequencies that massage my body. :dj: but shrill sounds I cannot abide, all my systems are calibrated to be loud but mellow/non-harsh/non-shrill. when the music is loud enough I feel almost like a mote of dust floating in the sound, a very pleasant sensation. there is an audio theatre in san fran called "the audium" which extended this as far as the technology would allow, with multiple subwoofers/tactile transducers in the floors and seats, hundreds of speakers in a 360 degree pattern surrounding the auditorium. I would dearly love to visit that place and enjoy the enveloping sound.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2016, 11:51 am

I like that "visceral" sensation in the bass, as well, aunt blabby. It's the one thing I miss the most as a bass player - I have to practice on headphones at home, and it's a long time since I rigged up my old 15" cabs and physically "felt" the notes as I play them.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2016, 11:55 am

If you've seen one autistic person, you've only seen one autistic person. Some of us are non-verbal while others can't seem to *stop* talking, especially when it's about our special interests.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2016, 11:58 am

I don't mind loud music, no matter how loud it is. I actually like it. Though I don't turn it up too loud when listening to my MP3 player, in part because I don't want others to hear.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2016, 2:10 pm

No that means loud music isn't something that aggravates his sensory issues, or that he doesn't have sensory issues since some autistics don't....also some people with autism have essentially the opposite of sensory issues like not sensitive enough to things.

What kind of music is it he likes to blast?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2016, 5:25 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
I like that "visceral" sensation in the bass, as well, aunt blabby. It's the one thing I miss the most as a bass player - I have to practice on headphones at home, and it's a long time since I rigged up my old 15" cabs and physically "felt" the notes as I play them.

have you thought about plugging it into one of those tactile trandsducer-equipped gaming chairs?

Cyllya1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Feb 2016, 11:37 pm

Listening to music is a form of stimming. Loud music is a more intense stimming. While some autistic people won't like loud music, it definitely doesn't surprise me that one does. If he plays the same songs over and over, that makes it even more autismy.

I'm hypersensitive to the point where it horribly ruins my life, but I still like music at a "ticks off my housemates even though there's multiple closed doors between us" volume. (Or for headphones, "make people around me comment that I'm ruining my ears" volume.)

There are many situations where I don't like to listen to unfamiliar music at any volume.

UnturnedStone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Feb 2016, 11:57 pm

I don't like loud noises, however, sometimes playing loud music can help drown out all the other noises and help calm me, especially if it is the same song over and over again.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2016, 12:05 am

something about the sound of a Wurlitzer theatrical pipe organ just sends me to heaven!

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2016, 12:33 am

Very auditory sensitive here, and i BLAST my music and its metal, punk, alternative rock, and Classic rock- this isn't quiet music!

i can blast it to the top volume- it hurts! and sometimes i have a sensory overload and shut down but MAAAN if you dont blast My Chemical Romance, Foo-Fighters, Black Veil Brides, Disturbed, Skillet, Breaking Benjamin, Three Days Grace then you cant appreciate it.

My friend has PDD-NOS and he does it too and hes a metal head.

heres an example of what i can blast-

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

thehandler
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Mar 2016, 2:36 am

Here's an example of some of the stuff this autistic likes to blast :mrgreen:

Also ZombieBrideXD it's cool you like BVB. I see people hating them for no reason, but I think they're a pretty great band. In The End is a great song.