What would society be like had it been created by Aspies?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


would it be better or worse
Poll ended at 19 Mar 2012, 1:53 pm
better 76%  76%  [ 19 ]
worse 24%  24%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 25

Kenobr100
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 7 Mar 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 31

09 Mar 2012, 1:53 pm

What do you think the world would be like if it had been created by people with Asperger's syndrome not the neurotypical populace.

Their is no doubt in my mind as an aspie that things would be radically different ranging from education, interaction with others, work and obviously a lot more

but I am interested to hear what other people with Asperger's syndrome think about this
How radically different do you think things would be

as I read in another post on this site titled "Asperger's isn't a disorder" the person asking said "The neurotypical brain has built this society to fit their needs and their needs only."
so what if the world was built by Aspies to fit Aspies only?



Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Nov 2011
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,795

09 Mar 2012, 1:56 pm

Kenobr100 wrote:
What do you think the world would be like if it had been created by people with Asperger's syndrome not the neurotypical populace.

Their is no doubt in my mind as an aspie that things would be radically different ranging from education, interaction with others, work and obviously a lot more

but I am interested to hear what other people with Asperger's syndrome think about this
How radically different do you think things would be

as I read in another post on this site titled "Asperger's isn't a disorder" the person asking said "The neurotypical brain has built this society to fit their needs and their needs only."
so what if the world was built by Aspies to fit Aspies only?


I'll tell you this much, the world would be a much quieter place.



AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Apr 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,303
Location: Houston, Texas

09 Mar 2012, 2:42 pm

Better quality control. Economic activity done with more mindfulness. And more authenticity.

But I suppose less total economic 'through put.'



unseenu
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 3 Mar 2012
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 37

09 Mar 2012, 3:19 pm

More intellectual places like libraries and fewer bars.There would probably be more places designed for quiet contemplation than there are now,perhaps built into public parks.I also think that in this world,some type of database to log people's special interests would exist.This would allow groups of people to call upon an expert in almost any obscure subject.

NT's would still exist in this world but would be viewed as disabled because of their "unnatural" behaviour. Wierdly what we currently call NT might be referred to as Asperger syndrome if Hans(an aspie himself in this alternate reality) had examined NT children.The symptoms of this Asperger Syndrome: Overpronounced facial expressions and a tendancy to gather in large,intimidating groups to exchange irrelavent information. The cause of this debilitating condition:an overconnected brain.



RarePegs
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 20 Oct 2008
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 416
Location: Northern Ireland

09 Mar 2012, 5:44 pm

I strongly believe that people serve society best when they are in the right job rather than just any job.

I also believe that the neurotypical brain is more of a generalist brain and that the autistic brain is more of a specialist brain, by virtue of connectivity levels.

Put those two together and I believe that an Aspie-based society would be a society which functions well by putting the right-shaped pegs in the right-shaped holes. Neurotypicals could actually be the bridges between Aspies with different specialisms (in other words, gofers).



Madao
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 26 May 2011
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 226
Location: Cardboard Box

09 Mar 2012, 5:59 pm

It would be a world where everyone could do their special interest. People like me would be valued for their special skills. Unlike today's society, I wouldn't be told I couldn't do something because I was autistic. It would be a beautiful world. Definitely better if you're on the spectrum. NTs might have a little bit of trouble fitting in though.



Sickpuppies124
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 121
Location: Cloudsdale, Equestria

09 Mar 2012, 6:12 pm

Probably no wars, more lives involved in the study of important matters, quieter world, humanity more connected emotionally with Animals than people, very peaceful to think about. Would wonder though, would Cops, Firefighters and EMS be better at responding to emergencies with 90% Autistics on the crew or what?



Sora
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Sep 2006
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,653
Location: Europe

09 Mar 2012, 6:28 pm

Who's going to care of other people? That includes kids, old people, disabled people?

There are way too few educators, nurses, kindergarten staff, daycare staff, carer for the elderly, people committed to honorary social work as well as trained people who know how to support people with various disabilities (including autism) with "NTs" being in charge of things and claiming that taking care of people and having an elaborate interest for other people is important - just how few would there be if autistic people were to create a society?

Worst case scenario: a majority of those who need care would die, either because someone forgot about them, because too few are willing to take care of them or because doing social jobs isn't paid well enough/the jobs aren't made to look attractive enough. Well, that would temporarily resolve the problem with there being too few people with social jobs and self-motivated major social engagement but it wouldn't be a particularly suave solution.


_________________
Autism + ADHD
______
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. Terry Pratchett


Kenobr100
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 7 Mar 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 31

09 Mar 2012, 6:40 pm

Sora wrote:
Who's going to care of other people? That includes kids, old people, disabled people?

There are way too few educators, nurses, kindergarten staff, daycare staff, carer for the elderly, people committed to honorary social work as well as trained people who know how to support people with various disabilities (including autism) with "NTs" being in charge of things and claiming that taking care of people and having an elaborate interest for other people is important - just how few would there be if autistic people were to create a society?

Worst case scenario: a majority of those who need care would die, either because someone forgot about them, because too few are willing to take care of them or because doing social jobs isn't paid well enough/the jobs aren't made to look attractive enough. Well, that would temporarily resolve the problem with there being too few people with social jobs and self-motivated major social engagement but it wouldn't be a particularly suave solution.




Well actually in this fantasy world with the high population of aspies the small majority of Nt's would do all the shitty jobs aspies wouldn't want to do, or in this imaginary reality robots would do the jobs aspies would not do



enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 866

09 Mar 2012, 7:06 pm

Society can't be "created". It happens by itself, because of interactions between individuals. I don't think it makes sense this way, so I'll answer this: "What would society be if everyone had an ASD?"

I think there would be much fewer "symbols", or none at all. Things would be what they mean, and mean what they are. Wearing a black tie would mean one likes black ties, not show that someone died. Wearing a Metallica t-shirt (random example) would mean one likes that band, or possibly metal in general, not show belief for a set of beliefs or that one belongs to a subgroup or subculture. The question "Wanna go for a drink?" would mean exactly that, not show romantic interest; the answer "No, I'm not thirsty" would be normal and expectable, with no subtext of rejection.

I am not set on what would happen to architecture. I think that could be a negative. I would be sad indeed if there were no gothic cathedrals or no great palaces, but I would never have funded such projects, or accepted they be funded. I think people with ASD are more driven towards efficiency. This is not stricly contradictory with building nice things, of course, but it is no incentive. I don't think arts in general would be "damaged", but as architecture requires more funds and has an obviously pratical application... I don't know.

On the whole, better for myself, but that much is obvious. Better overall? Impossible to know. The current state of things seems to suit normal people very well, I think.



Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2012
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 854

09 Mar 2012, 7:21 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
Better quality control. Economic activity done with more mindfulness. And more authenticity.

But I suppose less total economic 'through put.'


Yep ^

Less creativity and spontenaity, greater efficiency, more streamlined governments and government organisations.

The social norms would be less restrictive and more logical, eg it would be perfectly normal to wear sunglasses indoors, and people would not assume lack of eye contact meant you were nervous, shy or not to be trusted.

The same design of clothing would come in different sizes, different colours AND different textures.



Kenobr100
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 7 Mar 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 31

09 Mar 2012, 7:31 pm

enrico_dandolo wrote:
Society can't be "created". It happens by itself, because of interactions between individuals. I don't think it makes sense this way, so I'll answer this: "What would society be if everyone had an ASD?"

I think there would be much fewer "symbols", or none at all. Things would be what they mean, and mean what they are. Wearing a black tie would mean one likes black ties, not show that someone died. Wearing a Metallica t-shirt (random example) would mean one likes that band, or possibly metal in general, not show belief for a set of beliefs or that one belongs to a subgroup or subculture. The question "Wanna go for a drink?" would mean exactly that, not show romantic interest; the answer "No, I'm not thirsty" would be normal and expectable, with no subtext of rejection.

I am not set on what would happen to architecture. I think that could be a negative. I would be sad indeed if there were no gothic cathedrals or no great palaces, but I would never have funded such projects, or accepted they be funded. I think people with ASD are more driven towards efficiency. This is not stricly contradictory with building nice things, of course, but it is no incentive. I don't think arts in general would be "damaged", but as architecture requires more funds and has an obviously pratical application... I don't know.

On the whole, better for myself, but that much is obvious. Better overall? Impossible to know. The current state of things seems to suit normal people very well, I think.


I respect your answer but I would have preferred you use the term Neurotypical rather than Normal
Many aspies through history have been great Artists and Architects that is in no way limited to just NTs.
As an aspie and a graphic designer I disagree that symbols would not exist they are a great use of branding, iconic identity and a great art form infact its quite stupid to say they would not exist in a all aspie world seeing as historic aspies in the past used symbols hugely to influence a variety of things a good example would be Hitler with the nazi swastica.
Not all things would be as literal as you think But that is my fault for not being specific enough
I meant to say a entire low functioning aspie society not high functioning I would agree with you had I meant High Functioning aspie society because HF Aspies do tend to take things like what you described too literally.



Kenobr100
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 7 Mar 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 31

09 Mar 2012, 7:38 pm

Cogs wrote:
AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
Better quality control. Economic activity done with more mindfulness. And more authenticity.

But I suppose less total economic 'through put.'


Yep ^

Less creativity and spontenaity, greater efficiency, more streamlined governments and government organisations.

The social norms would be less restrictive and more logical, eg it would be perfectly normal to wear sunglasses indoors, and people would not assume lack of eye contact meant you were nervous, shy or not to be trusted.

The same design of clothing would come in different sizes, different colours AND different textures.


That is a stupid answer if anything it would be a much greater creative world look at someone like Pablo Picasso one of the worlds greatest artists of all time who was in fact an aspie or even Leonardo Da Vinci yet again a remarkable creative genius so I totally disagree you are wrong also this question wasn't targeted towards stupid Nts like you who have the inability to see from a Aspies point of view



enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2011
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 866

09 Mar 2012, 7:45 pm

Kenobr100 wrote:
I respect your answer but I would have preferred you use the term Neurotypical rather than Normal
Many aspies through history have been great Artists and Architects that is in no way limited to just NTs.
As an aspie and a graphic designer I disagree that symbols would not exist they are a great use of branding, iconic identity and a great art form infact its quite stupid to say they would not exist in a all aspie world seeing as historic aspies in the past used symbols hugely to influence a variety of things a good example would be Hitler with the nazi swastica.
Not all things would be as literal as you think But that is my fault for not being specific enough
I meant to say a entire low functioning aspie society not high functioning I would agree with you had I meant High Functioning aspie society because HF Aspies do tend to take things like what you described too literally.

I hate the term "neurotypical". It is ugly and unnecessarily psycho-babbly. Even though "normal" is not defined, it is understood at least as a contrast to its exceptions. "Neurotypical" is used to replace it almost synonymously.

I agree that individuals with ASD can be as creative as others, but the problem with architecture (specifically, not art in general) is that a large building is the project of many different people. While a painting, poem, song, novel or play can be the result of individual pursuits (or that of a small group of creators), an architectural project must be approved (and funded) by someone whose objectives will be completely different from those of the creator, and who might not be as enthusiastic with unnecessary and costly esthetics. That is why I worry.

I agree that the word "symbol" was not the best. The second sentence was more what I wanted to say.

I didn't understand you last sentence, though.



Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2012
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Posts: 854

09 Mar 2012, 9:00 pm

Kenobr100 wrote:
Cogs wrote:
AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
Better quality control. Economic activity done with more mindfulness. And more authenticity.

But I suppose less total economic 'through put.'


Yep ^

Less creativity and spontenaity, greater efficiency, more streamlined governments and government organisations.

The social norms would be less restrictive and more logical, eg it would be perfectly normal to wear sunglasses indoors, and people would not assume lack of eye contact meant you were nervous, shy or not to be trusted.

The same design of clothing would come in different sizes, different colours AND different textures.


That is a stupid answer if anything it would be a much greater creative world look at someone like Pablo Picasso one of the worlds greatest artists of all time who was in fact an aspie or even Leonardo Da Vinci yet again a remarkable creative genius so I totally disagree you are wrong also this question wasn't targeted towards stupid Nts like you who have the inability to see from a Aspies point of view


Hey, respectfully, you asked a question and I gave you my thoughts on it, clearly you only wanted a specific type of person to reply, so in future indicate this in your question.
I have no problem with you disagreeing with me however you have no right to be making judgements about me as you did in your reply, I am not NT.