Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ResilientBrilliance
Toucan
Toucan

18 Mar 2016, 9:34 pm

There's plenty of posts on here about people with autism being seen as creepy. Well I'd like to know if the reverse is true. Do you find NTs creepy?

I'm sure I creep people out and the feeling is very very mutual. For example, I know I'm seen as weird for having a "monotone" voice but I think people are weird for the constant fluctuations in pitch of their voice.

And don't get me started on the way they copy each other. Often I notice strangers mimic the way I'm sitting. I notice people mimicking everything I do really. I know it's a "social" thing to copy other people or something. It really gives me the creeps. I rather think for myself than copy whatever the person next to me is doing. Ironically that makes me the weirdo lol.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2016, 9:39 pm

I am not creeped out by peoples behaviour in social ways but I am more disturbed by the fact they can't accept my behaviour to isolate.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2016, 9:42 pm

There are creepy NT's. Others, though, are not creepy.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2016, 9:47 pm

I sometimes find some of their dishonest behaviors - often labelled as, "social skills" - creepy. Or at the very least, unsettling. Also, many of their mating/courting rituals & methods either seem so highly blatant, or just highly manipulative. Either way, again unsettling in a way that makes them seem less trustworthy. And then there's the social maneuvering & manipulation, and the ever-shifting alliances...

So, yeah. I sometimes feel like someone from a different planet, and other times I think maybe I do feel a bit creeped out if I sit and watch those behaviors for too long.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2016, 9:57 pm

I'm more or less creeped out on NTs that are too polite, too vigilante on 'reading' me, or out right unnatural especially when their expressions are exaggerated.

I never put my guard down on those who are too polite and much so of a pleaser.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

GodzillaWoman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2016, 10:24 pm

Only some of them:
- If they stare with eyes very wide
- If they refuse to tell me why they are staring
- If they say things in a vague, unclear way ("beat around the bush") or drop mysterious hints, and then get annoyed that I don't get the point that they are implying
- If they say "trust me!" or "I'm telling the truth"

Wave Tossed
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Mar 2016, 11:10 pm

Some of my best friends are NTs :mrgreen:

LaFemmeEnfant
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Mar 2016, 8:17 am

What really creeps me out?

Mating/courting rituals , flirting looks so ridiculous and their expressions so cheap and exaggerated
Staring in my eyes or observing me really closely..
Standing behind my back , often seem they are too close
Their reactions seem sometimes really fake and it gives me chills

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2016, 9:04 am

People confuse me. I would not know if they are NT or not. People just confuse me....

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2016, 11:10 am

I find that most people confuse me. People are strange.

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Mar 2016, 11:49 am

Generally I don't find people, NT or Autistic, creepy. Sometimes I find individuals who tell a lot of half-truths to suit their purposes and often tell out right lies, very difficult and a bit manipulative. I feel kind of sick when I'm around folk like that because I dont' know where I stand and that feels a bit creepy. But this doesn't seem to be true of any one group of people NT or autistic in my experience.

Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ICD10)

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Mar 2016, 12:13 pm

One thing that creeps me out : when they talk to me as if they're friends with me, and then I learn that they said horrible things behind my back and I learn that they actually hate me. If they hate me, why can't they tell me directly and be honest rather than tell gossips to make everyone hate me, what's wrong with being honest and direct ? All they've managed to do is making me paranoid with people.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2016, 1:44 pm

Do black people creep me out? No.
Do gay people creep me out? No.
Do overweight people creep me out? No.
Do Down's Syndrome people creep me out? No.

The only people who creep me out are creepy/weird/psycho (unless proven harmless).

ResilientBrilliance
Toucan
Toucan

19 Mar 2016, 6:51 pm

Edenthiel wrote:
I sometimes find some of their dishonest behaviors - often labelled as, "social skills" - creepy. Or at the very least, unsettling. Also, many of their mating/courting rituals & methods either seem so highly blatant, or just highly manipulative. Either way, again unsettling in a way that makes them seem less trustworthy. And then there's the social maneuvering & manipulation, and the ever-shifting alliances...

So, yeah. I sometimes feel like someone from a different planet, and other times I think maybe I do feel a bit creeped out if I sit and watch those behaviors for too long.

I actually don't find their mating rituals obvious. Most of it goes over my head. I never flirt but have been accused of flirting.

LaFemmeEnfant wrote:
What really creeps me out?

Mating/courting rituals , flirting looks so ridiculous and their expressions so cheap and exaggerated
Staring in my eyes or observing me really closely..
Standing behind my back , often seem they are too close
Their reactions seem sometimes really fake and it gives me chills

The fakeness can be so creepy. But it seems they actually PREFER the fakeness. I once had a roommate ask me to do favor in such a fake sickly sweet voice I was like WTF in my head.
I agree about staring into the eyes...I tried to make interesting conversation with a lab partner bc I realize that people hate when you don't talk to them. I was briefly excited that she was a Hannibal fan too until she started looking at me like she wanted to jump inside my soul! 8O The convo seemed more about stealing the other person's soul than Hannibal!

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2016, 7:48 pm

They alternate between being infuriating and fascinating very often, but not creepy. Mind you, I thought that I was just a very dysfunctional NT person until about a year ago, so I might see it differently than someone diagnosed much younger.

ResilientBrilliance wrote:
I actually don't find their mating rituals obvious. Most of it goes over my head.

Likewise. I've never been able to flirt, nor been able to read flirting. I've come away from nights out in the past with friends egging me on about a woman they saw me speaking to - telling me that she was "giving all the signals", and I should have reciprocated. To me, I just thought I met a nice friendly person - I never once read any more into it than that.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2016, 8:00 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
I'm more or less creeped out on NTs that are too polite, too vigilante on 'reading' me, or out right unnatural especially when their expressions are exaggerated.

I never put my guard down on those who are too polite and much so of a pleaser.

Same here. I'm inclined to say that applies to any person who is this way, not just NTs, however I think one would struggle to find this type of behaviour in someone autistic.