Do you obsess about stuff you're not interested in?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2016, 2:13 am

I sometimes do it's pretty unpleasant. An example is girly stuff. I often want to figure out how to style my hair, so I end up researching how to style it. I obsess about it, but it's not actually interesting to me. I'm way happier obsessing about stuff I'm actually interested in. Even obsessing about stuff I'm interested in for too long can get annoying.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2016, 3:46 am

I had.

I was obsessed how business and marketing works, but I hate business and I suck at it.
Then also there's with the obsessions on the concept of professionalism, house keeping, and political and social games. :lol: Sometimes history.

I'm sure this isn't all of it...

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2016, 4:20 am

Homework. Ugh.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

SpaceAgeBushRanger
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Mar 2016, 4:36 am

I guess I get obsessive when I'm studying for an exam or something.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2016, 5:23 am

At times, if I feel it's important.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2016, 2:30 pm

I think that being interested in something is more about making yourself happy. Where as obsession is more about making others happy with you.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2016, 2:31 pm

Yes, and I hate it admit it.

It's like I'm drawn to negative things even though I don't like them and try to blot them out of my mind, but they still come back. Trying harder to ignore stuff I don't like nowadays.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2016, 2:44 pm

I have a tendency to place subjects in one of two very black-and-white categories...

Things that feel I have to know everything about. The subject could be relevant to me either out of special interest, or necessity (e.g. school/work related). I realise that this ideal is, of course, impossible for all but the most trivial subjects, but that won't stop me from trying.

Things that I would prefer to know nothing about. As if they might clutter in my brain, leaving less space for the first category. (e.g. celebrity gossip, sports results).

Just "skimming" a subject - meh! Always leaves me feeling dissatisfied.

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2016, 11:09 pm

I have that same tendency, Trogluddite. It is all or nothing. Sometimes, I would even rather learn nothing about a topic if I cannot learn all. As if an "incomplete download" will mess up my "memory". <--- Computer metaphor.

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 12:47 am

I can't get myself away from topics about violent kids. I hate it, it's unhealthy, it just gets me all upset and makes me feel negative about anyone in general who thinks it's okay for kids to harm other children and adults. Then I see an ad on the Dr. Phil show for Monday about a violent 12 year old girl who looks to be more like 7 or 8 and her siblings and parents fear her and she has even chased her siblings with a knife and she said how she killed these baby birds and her mom said she killed her hamster. The girl was smiling and she seemed a lot like a psychopath and her dad said she claimed the voices told her to do it. Jesus and now I am curious and want to watch this to see how it goes and what is wrong with that girl (I hope she isn't autistic). I know I should pull away from this stuff and skip these episodes and just delete them whenever Dr. Phil does one on another violent child. I already do good most of the time skipping threads here about autistic children being violent in the Parents Discussion. But sometimes I hate my curiosity because it's hard to draw myself away from it when I see it when I know it just upsets me.

I found myself drawn to reading about narcissism and abusive relationships because I was curious and was learning and I was discovering my ex was possibly a narcissist. it all started by a post I read in Lucky Otter's Haven she wrote about narcissism and some of it reminded me of my ex so I started to read more about the condition and then she mentioned to me my ex sounded a lot like a covert narcissist when I left a comment in her blog about my ex so I looked it up and it sounded a lot like him and I kept on reading about it. I obsessed about it and read stories by other victims and learned a lot and it explained my ex more and the things he did. Then at the same time I felt pissed because I had fallen for it and I had let it all happen and shame on me for not picking up on it. Then I started to understand why some aspies have said the husbands on AssPartners are not aspie, they are narcissists and women there are just blaming it on AS and scapegoating it. I also learned that my ex's low self esteem and jealousy were not accurate and that is not how it is for people with it, he was a narcissist so I can get rid of how toxic people with low self esteem are and people who are jealous. There is a difference between a narcissist doing those things and a none narcissist. That goes for the black and white thinking too. His B&W thinking may have been more narc than aspie so I can get rid of the fact that black and white thinkers suck, only narcissist with it suck. I can stop taking offense to black and white thinking being part of autism. I even decided to no longer identify my ex as an aspie. Just because he claimed he was and thought he had it doesn't mean he did and his stories about going to get tested for it never added up so for years I would question it and then think no he had it because of this and that but how do I know he wasn't faking it? I even wonder now how much of his stories he told me were true.

I also obsessed about my ex's and I have obsessed about my enemies online. I think it's more of an OCD thing. Obsessions are supposed to give you pleasure and enjoyment and be calming and relaxing, if they give you distress and make you upset and get you all worried, it's part of OCD. Though reading about narcissism didn't give me distress, it gave me closure and it made me feel better about myself and I can forgive myself and I can relate to other victim stories about it. At the same time I would also feel excitement because I wasn't alone and I could relate. But sometimes I still get a second thought in my head about it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Last edited by League_Girl on 24 Mar 2016, 3:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 2:08 am

hahaha....the worst one for me was that i used to obsess about people who i didn't even like.

Why would i even do that? (that was a rhetorical question btw).

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 2:09 am

babybird wrote:
hahaha....the worst one for me was that i used to obsess about people who i didn't even like.

Why would i even do that? (that was a rhetorical question btw).

I do that, it's weird. You develop an affinity for hating them, then even knowing you hate them, you cannot ignore them. It's a weird process.

Like there a few people on Youtube I absolutely hate, but fixate on them a lot.

alex
Developer
Developer

24 Mar 2016, 3:35 am

I do this all the time. :lol: Sometimes I overdo the obsession and research things to death (which is a waste of time).

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 3:57 am

alex wrote:
I do this all the time. :lol: Sometimes I overdo the obsession and research things to death (which is a waste of time).

It's a waste of time and I don't even enjoy it.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 4:28 am

Obsessing about things which you are not interested in could indicate that they are things that are bothering you in some way. I will at times fixate on things that make me anxious or upset. I believe in this case it is somewhat more like OCD than ASD-like obsessions.

I will become briefly obsessed with things that I am not particularly interested in because it's something useful that I need to know. Such as if I am buying a new appliance like a washing machine. I really couldn't care less about washing machines, but I will research them quite a bit before I make a purchase.