Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Iamala1
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Mar 2016, 5:06 pm

So I am 22 years old and I was only diagnosed just over a year ago. I've learnt a lot since then about me and about autism but after several conversations with my Mum I've realised she actually doesn't know much about it at all. For example I've had to try an explain that when I have spates of being non-verbal I'm not ignoring everyone I physically can't interact. And trying to explain stimming to her.

What I could really do with is having a book or something I could recommend to her.

I pass as NT a lot because I spent several years as a teenager studying social behaviour and literally exhausted myself. Now I'm learning to be more me so I don't burn out so often and it's leading to some conflict with my Mum because instead of apologising when I get stuff wrong I'm trying to assert- no, please could you be literal.

But I think if there was a good, relatively in depth coverage of Aspergers/'High Functioning' Autism she could read it would really help, or some good articles or something.

If anyone knows such books/literature or has any advice on explaining things to family I would really appreciate the recommendations.

I love my Mum, but my social difficulties make it hard to tell her when she is doing stuff wrong, and it's hurting our relationship a bit at the moment.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2016, 5:37 pm

I've found the videos on YouTube from Amythest Schaber's "Ask An Autistic" channel to be *exceedingly* useful for educating loved ones. Ms. Schaber has separate videos on stimming, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/user/neurowonderful

She also has a blog

http://www.neurowonderful.com/

and tumblr, and all the rest...

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2016, 6:39 pm

^^^^
This

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2016, 6:43 pm

...You know , my lack of posting/phone-computer ability :( is illustrated here , if I just COULD put things up , like " everybody " ~ before I'm possibly , in less than a year , DEAD :cry:! !! !! !! !! !! :cry:

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2016, 7:07 pm

ASS-P wrote:
...You know , my lack of posting/phone-computer ability :( is illustrated here , if I just COULD put things up , like " everybody " ~ before I'm possibly , in less than a year , DEAD :cry:! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! :cry:

I just had an idea for you, ASS-P.

When you're in the library next time, why don't you ask a librarian to help you with the computer?

You could ask how to put a link to a website into a post. You could ask how to put a picture or a YouTube video into a post.

Like maybe, put up a sample post here on WrongPlanet and have a librarian show you how to do these things while you're posting.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2016, 7:13 pm

Hi Phoenix.

I thought about you last night. And now you're here again! Like a Phoenix, indeed!