What path lead you to eventually accept yourself?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

__Elijahahahaho
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Mar 2024, 2:03 pm

Looking for other people's experiences I guess.

For me right now I feel completely exhausted.
I used to be much more "me" when I was younger, but this relied on a lot
of aid from parents and a stable near-perfect environment.

I sadly burned out and never managed to figure out office politics.
I feel so tired, like I can't even think my own thoughts anymore. It's such a waste.
I know I am smart and valuable, but people never recognise what I am trying to say until
later, or until someone else said it, or when they have like PhDs.

I guess there's also the feelings of powerlessness from recent world events and crappy jobs... not being able to argue
my case effectively. Idk man life is tough, it's not just about accepting yourself.

I can't really exist healthily alone and I feel constantly gaslit.

But I also have a caffeine hangover :skull: so it's probably just that.

Comet Zed
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2024, 3:53 pm

Marcus Aurelius wrote:
“The soul becomes dyed with the colour of its thoughts.”

Understanding that I create my own misery by being down on myself. If you're always thinking negatively you're creating that reality for yourself. Not to say you have to pretend everything is awesome all the time, of course that's irrational. But there are more constructive ways to use mental energy.

Accepting what I can change and doing something about it, and letting go of what I can't.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2024, 10:28 pm

__Elijahahahaho wrote:
I know I am smart and valuable, but people never recognise what I am trying to say until
later, or until someone else said it, or when they have like PhDs.

I guess there's also the feelings of powerlessness from recent world events and crappy jobs... not being able to argue
my case effectively. Idk man life is tough, it's not just about accepting yourself.

I can't really exist healthily alone and I feel constantly gaslit.

I think part of what you might need to do is extricate yourself from these ideas that you need external acknowledgment. We can't control what other people do or think, we only have some control of ourselves and how we perceive things and how we react to what other people do, or say to us. I would try letting go of other people's views, if you can, and just go with what you know about yourself: that you are smart and valuable!

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2024, 11:20 pm

Several gradual phases.

The first stages seem this naive and delusional conditional acceptance, of denial of flaws fueled by sheer pride.

In which can take years to mellow out, to figure it out the sources of which, and into eventuality getting closer towards truer self acceptance.

And not fall into pitfalls, which is several from what I've seen who went through the same path.

If one falls into such, one had to recognize it -- which is tricky to say the least; before climbing out of it, which can be a challenge itself.

Many of which are stuck from the very first phases because it felt too good -- and leaving will be very painful to.
In which I was able to past through, alone.

The pride would allow me to see if there is something I can do to achieve certain states and consistency, fight that unwanted habits will not be true forever.

And, when that fails, usually after years of trying several solutions that did not work, I would have to give up on it.

But there's an odd reaction when one chose to give up on that; it can become paradoxical wish granting solution, or it can be a detrimental dead end.

The former feels liberating.
The latter is another pitfall to figure how to climb out of.

Really, as long as I can do something about my flaws, I won't stop fighting it until there's truly nothing I can do with it.

And then there's another layer; in which how the body and mind and emotions are separate yet are also one.
What exactly is your relationship towards your own mind? Your own body? Your own emotions?

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2024, 11:23 pm

__Elijahahahaho wrote:
What path lead you to eventually accept yourself?
Proving my detractors wrong.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

AnnaTheSquirrel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Mar 2024, 10:54 am

I wish this forum had some buttons so I could show you I care or that I wish you strength.

I'm here to mooch off of the answers you're getting because I need these tips too.

Recently I've started with an ASS coach for high educated people (which doesn't mean we're life smart, as you well know) and she's going to teach me self acceptance. I will report back when I have some knowledge.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2024, 10:59 am

Kind of the same thing Fnord said - Spite :D

Last edited by DanielW on 12 Mar 2024, 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2024, 1:21 pm

The explanation the diagnoses provided helped a lot.

Also less negative feedback. Not as much there once was but there is still some people that automatically respect older people. Things get tolerated as “eccentric” that are not with younger people. Also I have a visible physical disability so I get leeway for that.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

angelsonthemoon
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Apr 2024, 3:55 pm

The world can be a harsh place. People sometimes judge us unfairly. They might not recognize when we are trying hard or when we meant well. Because of that, it makes sense to me at least, to be my own ally. I feel like I deserve someone in my corner.

When we are nicer to ourselves, we feel better, and will often treat others better too. In that way I consider it the most rational path.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2024, 4:22 pm

As far as I can remember I never really rejected myself in the first place. I've had quite a bit of self-doubt and guilt feelings over the years, and still have, but not to the point of significantly ill health. I've never stopped trying to be kind to myself. I've been judged quite a bit too, but I've never recognised the court, though these days I often give their verdict a fair hearing to see if there isn't a grain of useful truth in it.

I was lucky enough to have a fairly supportive father who usually offered me a much more positive view of myself from the one my mother pushed. So even when he ran me down, I was already good at deciding the matter for myself. Shaming me was (and is) like trying to shame a cat. I wish everybody had that trait.