"Aspergians are more logical, Autistics are more creative"?

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Stormtrooper
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jan 2015, 4:16 pm

While searching YouTube for videos on autism, I ran across this video of a guy talking about the difference between Asperger's and Autism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxlOe2HdusY

From what I understand he says the autistic brain runs 40% faster than the "normal world", "autistic people tend to be more creative", and "the more logical they are the more likely it was Asperger's" (referring to scientists with suspected ASD).

I can't find anything to support his claims anywhere else. Is there any merit to what he says, did I misunderstand it, or is it just bull****?

Undisgnosed - Aspie score: 122 of 200 - NT score: 105 of 200

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 4:30 pm

I used to really hate science until I was well into middle age. One thing that surprised me about it is that it is very creative! Sometimes I think you have to be as creative as an artist. Think about it, how could Darwin (as an example), figure out Evolution without having the imagination to see it. He didn't even know about genetics (although he also was able to imagine and make guesses about that). Think about scientists who build things that have never been built or who look at a spider web and think, I wonder if we could use that to create a super strong material.

I guess I'm saying that I disagree with the article.

IntellectualCat
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Jan 2015, 4:37 pm

That is just more of the logic vs. creativity false dichotomy.

I am autistic, and in my case, I am as creative as I am logical.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 5:49 pm

wozeree wrote:
I used to really hate science until I was well into middle age. One thing that surprised me about it is that it is very creative! Sometimes I think you have to be as creative as an artist. Think about it, how could Darwin (as an example), figure out Evolution without having the imagination to see it. He didn't even know about genetics (although he also was able to imagine and make guesses about that). Think about scientists who build things that have never been built or who look at a spider web and think, I wonder if we could use that to create a super strong material.

I guess I'm saying that I disagree with the article.

To be able to really stand out in science, you have to be creative (or extremely lucky). Many of the best scientists were imaginative "dreamers" as kids and refined that trait into adulthood. It is possible to be a scientist without the creativity, but they will mostly likely become laboratory workers for someone else, not the main discoverer of the research. I know some of them like that. They obtained their PhD or Masters and are now just working in a lab doing analytical tests for quality control. If that is what they wanted, then power to them, that is not for me.

I see many things in the scientific literature that get my mind automatically fitting them together to make something else. My specialty is finding gaps in the chemical knowledge and putting the missing pieces together. For instance, I created about thirty new synthetic compounds (and then analyzed them for a specific use) for my PhD research project. I saw a missing gap in the literature on them and wanted to see if they could be designed to fill a purpose that I had for them. (One of them worked exactly how I wanted it to.) Everyone else thought I was crazy to make so many of them as they could not see the big picture that I could see that I wanted put together. All that research work was done in less than three years time, including the writing/defending stages.

My take on this is simple: Without creativity and imagination, you get no innovation in whatever you do. Be it science, art, mathematics, history, engineering, etc...

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 6:54 pm

I'm only mild but I'm very creative, and not at all logical.

I mostly base my thoughts around emotion and principles though. Also I'm very irrational.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 7:05 pm

Sounds like BS to me.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 7:07 pm

Asperger's, Autism -same difference.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 7:22 pm

I'm logical to a point but driven by emotion more-so I find.

It's weird to describe. I don't get other peoples emotions or faces, but I find myself doing what feels right to my emotions, not really paying attention to the logical implications.

progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2015, 7:32 pm

1401b wrote:
Asperger's, Autism -same difference.

Agree with you.

Interesting correlation though between the differences in the way Autistics and NT's think.

In a book I just read on Alan Turing, a colleague of Turing found that the difference between Turing and other creative people was that a creative idea coming from another creative person came across as something the colleague could have come across himself, whereas if Turing came up with a creative idea, his idea would be complete outside the box of other peoples' ideas.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2015, 1:02 am

Aspergers is just another name for autism, and an obsolete one at that. It is no longer considered an official diagnosis. I only use it as an informal term for my condition, as it gives people the right idea of what I'm like.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2015, 5:18 pm

I think the creative part of my brain grew so fast that it squashed the logical part.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 6:49 am

Well now I want to show whoever wrote that article, my hand sewn, hand embroidered, made from scrap cloth, absolutely gorgeous Christmas stockings I made this year for everyone in my family.

Not as creative, my hind end....... Hhmph!!

:wink:

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 8:26 am

I have Asperger's, not autism, and I'm definitely not the logical type. I've always had great difficulties understanding maths and sciences, and only had marginal interest in science, and even that only came as I became adult. As a child and teen I had none.

It sounds like more BS to me. Just like when someone claims that if you have a lot of emotions, you are only a quirky NT. :roll:

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Jezebel
Toucan
Toucan

04 Jan 2015, 6:21 pm

I couldn't find anything to support the claim either.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 9:01 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I think the creative part of my brain grew so fast that it squashed the logical part.

that is one reason I adore you.

xenocity
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2015, 9:05 pm

Creativity and Logic can grow hand in hand.

I am as creative as I am logical.
They both work in tangent in my case.

I have AS here.