Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Warmheart
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Apr 2016, 6:27 pm

Do you enjoy a glider chair to soothe yourself, and get some vestibular input for your nervous system? Is it comfy, relaxing, exciting, fun? What brands or models do you like best? Is it noisy? Thanks for any input.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2016, 6:48 pm

My mum used to have a rocking chair that I loved as a kid - not a glider, more like a traditional rocker, but with metal tube frames. A glider would probably be better though, the old fashioned ones tend to "walk" themselves across the room while you're rocking.

I used to love the rocking sensation though - very "stimmy", and gave my restless legs something to do.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2016, 11:06 pm

We had a glider when our children were first brought home. Sometimes you have to sit up / sleep sitting up with them all night or at least every 2-3 hours for feedings. We both thought, "oh, it's like a rocker but better!" because we were young, stupid and believed advertisements.

It's nothing like a true rocker. The motion in my opinion is just...wrong. Instead of nice, gradual acceleration-deceleration, you go through the weirdest double hump of speed. And, it's much harder on the knees. Mechanically, it's far too complex. All around, I would say - again in my opinion based only on my experience - that it's nothing more than a gimmick and doesn't hold a candle to a true rocking chair, which can be very soothing.

We ended up getting rid of it when we realized we hadn't sat in it even once in the five years since the last child first slept through the night.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2016, 12:03 am

I like my glider rocking chair. My parents got it when I was born, like Edenthiel did for when her kids were born.

When I was a toddler I would climb up and sort of swing on it while standing. Now I just like it as a rocking chair.

It has a really abrupt start and stop at the ends of its range of motion, though, and it can be noisy (although I think the traditional kind of rocking chair can be noisy, too, just in a different way -- more restricted to creaking and floor-to-chair-contact noises).

I know nothing of brands/makes/models.

Love transcends all.