Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

random1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Apr 2016, 10:44 pm

like when ever im in bed and hear a cough or something it irritates me or something.

its hard to describe its not like its loud its like it gets to you and makes you feel weird idk.

am i sensitive to soft sounds?

do i have misophonia?

according to the symptoms it can be self diagnosed.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2016, 1:17 am

Distant or soft sounds bother a lot of us from what I have read. People with autism seem to pick up on sounds others don't. A leaf blower way off in the distance drives me nuts. Ones up close are really irritating too of course. But the one off in the far distance bothers me differently. The courthouse clock boning from far away. When someone is vacuuming downstairs, even though I have my door closed. And yeah, someone in another room coughing. All these kinds soft distant sounds make me feel agitated.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2016, 1:37 am

I am listening to music right now because it blocks out the small sounds from around the house. Small sounds are definitely very annoying, especially things like vacuums, lawn mowers, and distant voices. I really like living in the suburbs because it's nice and quiet, I don't think I could handle living in the inner city.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

markrh13
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Apr 2016, 10:01 am

I definitely do notice small sounds (unless I'm properly immersed into something in which case I probably wouldn't notice the house falling down). I wouldn't necessarily say they annoy me though, apart from some specific sounds.
For example, just now while writing this, a door was shut next door. I heard it and it made me lose focus for a few seconds but that was it. Now take a sound like our cat washing herself - well in that case if she went for more than a few seconds I would have to leave the room. I cannot stand that sound for some reason - it just makes me feel like I'm boiling inside. Poor cat :/ :p

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Apr 2016, 4:49 pm

mikeman7918 wrote:
I am listening to music right now because it blocks out the small sounds from around the house. Small sounds are definitely very annoying, especially things like vacuums, lawn mowers, and distant voices. I really like living in the suburbs because it's nice and quiet, I don't think I could handle living in the inner city.

The Vaccum cleaner is a bit much for me. Someone coughing borders on painful. There is also a short creaking sound in my kitchen of the cupboards that is the worst of them all. Every time it happens on a night it either gives me a shock or annoys me as it is like a gun going off. :/

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2016, 5:42 pm

I find sounds which are muffled or distant much more disturbing than louder, clearer ones very often, though I can also have a very exaggerated startle reflex too sometimes when a sudden noise breaks through my little "bubble" when I'm very engrossed in something.

Voices are the worst for me; for example, being able to hear the neighbours or TV characters talking through the walls of the house. When I go for counselling, the session will often be disrupted several times by people stopping to talk in the corridor outside the consultation room - I just completely lose the thread of what I'm thinking and find it very hard to pick up where I left off.

I also find it very hard to sleep in a room where there is anyone else, as the sound of their breathing really sets me on edge, even if they don't snore.