Mum threw out a book detailing my disabilties growing up

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

JonathanCampbell99
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 May 2016, 7:01 pm

The reason I am finding whether I have Aspergers Syndrome is because my mum threw out a book detailing my disabilities growing up (She threw it out years ago) and I wanted to keep it as it would have helped better with recognising difficulties in growing up and how many signs and symptoms of Aspergers I can pinpoint from reading the book, what can I do now, I am being referred to the Autism Services in the Armagh/Dungannon area so hopefully I'll have some disclosure on whether it is Aspergers or not. I think it might be a Nonverbal Learning Disability though as I have had 2 small intraventricular bleeds in my brain (Right hemisphere) and I think this causes symptoms similar to Aspergers, so much so that they're overlapping.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2016, 7:04 pm

It's a pity your mother threw out that book. I'm guessing that she didn't want you to think that you were "different."

I wish my mother would have more memory of me before I started to speak at age 5 1/2. But I think she blocked it out, somehow. It might have been too painful for her.

JonathanCampbell99
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 May 2016, 10:18 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It's a pity your mother threw out that book. I'm guessing that she didn't want you to think that you were "different."

I wish my mother would have more memory of me before I started to speak at age 5 1/2. But I think she blocked it out, somehow. It might have been too painful for her.

To be honest I don't think she was keeping from me as I read it a few times and found it thoroughly interesting, I loved reading it and was very annoyed when she threw it out, I said to her why did you throw it out and she said to you me "You don't need it", it was actually medical notes from GPs, physiotherapists and opticians and details of my development from a baby till I was in Primary 1, I was in Reception before that and me and my twin sister were one of the oldest in the class as we were turning 5 that year we started Reception Class.

arkatron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 May 2016, 12:12 am

Yes, it's kind of unfortunate that she tossed it. I don't know if most people have a book full of that much detailed info. I'm guessing your mom didn't want it around as a reminder of all the childhood doctor visits.

The book would probably have been useful. But you still have your memory. I hope the assessment goes well.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2016, 5:49 am

Man...if I had a book like that!......

spinelli
Toucan
Toucan

03 May 2016, 6:40 am

My parents won't even talk about my situation as they felt shame.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2016, 9:21 am

You can/should have your mother involved in the assessment. They may have a written questionnaire, or maybe she can come in for a short interview with the psychologist.

It's too bad your mother threw it away, but maybe she's just a tidy person who limits clutter? Parents have to prune their accumulations of things sometimes.

LittleBlackCat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 May 2016, 2:13 am

I have a friend who had a brain injury as a child and also has very many autistic traits. I do find myself wondering sometimes what he was like before the injury, especially as his mother (who I also know) is also quite 'spectrummy'.

What is perhaps more important though is not the diagnosis (autism v acquired brain injury) as the recognition of the difficulties he has and support in dealing with them. This seems to be far more forthcoming for him under the brain injury service (where he gets a lot of support in dealing with emotional regulation, executive functioning issues etc.) than it is for me with my ASD diagnosis. People generally do not seem to have the same expectations that he will somehow simply get over his problems or that he is making them up either.

I hope that whatever the outcome of your assessment you get some substantive help in coping with whatever has led you there in the first place.