Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 May 2016, 2:53 pm

Art,I'm ok at certain sports.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2016, 3:15 pm

I have a very good ability to remember photos to the point where I can pick out details that I didn't take conscious note of and I can even read a little, but it's not perfect.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

Quill
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2016, 3:19 pm

Not really.

TentofMot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 May 2016, 3:23 pm

As in 'savant' or 'gifted', no. As in unusually strong in a few areas, maybe. Not all of them are very useful however. :)

somebody300
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 May 2016, 5:29 pm

Yes. I'm rather good at certain mental calculations. For example, I can divide very long numbers by some digit up to many decimal points.
I can also extract perfect squares of 4 digit long numbers mentally rather quickly, although I can also do that for 6 digit long perfect squares, but not as fast.
I'm also good at memorizing very long lists of digits, objects, and so on. Memorizing 100 digits in 15 minutes was my record. So far, I have been able to memorize arbitarily long lists of digits - thousands - I haven't found a limit yet.
Also, I managed to learn and read Hangul (the Korean "alphabet") in 30-40 minutes - it was a part of a bet made with someone, and I ended up winning (I was able to read the arbitrary expressions written in Hangul which they presented).

Those are the special abilities.
Other than that, I'm very good at my special interests, but this is not really a special ability.

But, sadly, I have lots of disabilities as well, and my disabilities are very severe. I struggle to do the most basic things like dressing myself, or even making my bed. Head banging is a very big problem for me. Following a normal routine characteristic of those who are more neurotypical is virtually impossible for me. I also can't even use the public transport, because I get sensory overloaded. At times, I have very severe and inappropriate irritable behaviors, accompanied by screaming and often hitting myself or head banging.

Nicola2206
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 May 2016, 8:19 pm

Not in a savant way, but I have a natural talent when it comes to learning and understanding languages and the way they work.

AQ Score: 40

SQ: 52
EQ: 5

Empathizing - systemizing mixed test version results

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2016, 1:26 am

My writing abilities are considered somewhat savant for someone with my level of autism and are slightly advanced for someone of my age. But that's all. Hardly anything phenomenal. I do know of some with autism who possess phenomenal ability. Seems most of those are about mathematics and memory.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2016, 2:08 am

I have a restricted ability in a very isolated area. It has something to do with numbers related to data entry speed. I have great abilities with reading.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2016, 2:18 am

It's not savantism I don't think, but I have the ability to memorise large chunks of spoken dialogue by pairing every phrase with a mental image. The image serves as a tie back to the words, and I can use it to pull the words up and repeat the dialogue verbatim, even after having heard it only once. I do this a lot with song lyrics, because I get bored at work and like to sing to myself, but it's really annoying when I don't know the whole song, so I use my pictures to memorise the lyrics.

I also have grapheme-colour synaesthesia, and see letters, numbers, words and shapes with their own distinct colours. It helps me with spelling, because misspelled words have the wrong colours, and I can remember phone numbers based on the blocks of colour I see.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2016, 10:05 am

StarTrekker wrote:
It's not savantism I don't think, but I have the ability to memorise large chunks of spoken dialogue by pairing every phrase with a mental image. The image serves as a tie back to the words, and I can use it to pull the words up and repeat the dialogue verbatim, even after having heard it only once. I do this a lot with song lyrics, because I get bored at work and like to sing to myself, but it's really annoying when I don't know the whole song, so I use my pictures to memorise the lyrics.

I use that same technique to memorize things most of the time, but it takes me much longer. I certainly can't do it the first time I hear/read it. A while ago I memorized Carl Sagan's "Pale Blue Dot" speech and recently I have taken note on how it's stored in my memory, for a lot of it there are pictures paired with words as you have described but it took longer then my first time hearing it to form and memorize those. For most portions of it I actually have a mental photo of a text version of the speech that I looked up while I was memorizing it which I can read from, it's really quite interesting. I have looked at that and studied it enough that reading from it is rather easy in many places and I can even tell you where all the line breaks are. For most of the speech when I'm reciting it I have both the image for that part of the text and the text scrolling past at the same time as if the image were transparent and I could see the text through it, this is helpful because I am less likely to get it wrong.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

obsessingoverobsessions
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 May 2016, 10:55 am

I can look at a new German word and its translation into English and never forget how to spell or say the word.

You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2016, 11:00 am

Yes, I have some special abilities that I have discovered over the years. However, I do not consider them to be at true savant levels. Here are a few of them:

1.) I can visualize 3-D and higher dimensions rather easily (and with full movement in each dimension). With this, I can also see the interactions between dimensions and how things fit together as a whole (ie. light energy, matter, antimatter, dark energy, dark matter, etc). Being able to explain it to others is a challenge though...

2.) I can problem solve in my sleep when I really want/need to. This was useful in grad school in solving complicated synthetic laboratory challenges for designing particular compounds. I used to do this dream ability constantly for years, but have been backing off from it lately as it does require energy to do.

3.) I have learned how to code certain things so that I will stop thinking about them on purpose. If I need to work on said things, all I have to do is input the code (a certain order of songs) and I can regain where I was at last. As strange as it may seem, not all abilities are good ones and I discovered this one while trying to find a way to forget things on purpose.

4.) I can absorb massive amounts of random scientific data and put it together in ways that are way outside of the box. (For instance, I have ideas on forming new super heavy elements, ie. elements above 118, that is an entirely different approach to anything being considered today. This came about from reading quite a few scientific journal articles on a specific, seemingly unrelated topic. A decade ago, I mentioned it to someone who worked with the late Dr. Glenn T. Seaborg on some of the elements he discovered and she just gave me a deer in the headlights look, as they had never even contemplated that method.) This ability was very useful in grad school, but was also a sore point with other students who could not do this no matter how hard they tried. They wanted me to train them to do it for them, yet it came naturally to me. This ability is not perfect and I can only do this with certain types of information, some of which are outside of my control.

Having special abilities does not make one better than anyone else. I believe everyone has a hidden special talent/ability, they just need to find it.