Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

AspieTurtle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 May 2016, 10:10 am

Schlumpfikus wrote:
Here is a test about 'compound emotions' (such as angry sadness).
http://www.theguardian.com/science/shor ... rsity-quiz
I guess those would be particularly difficult for someone to recognize if they're not good at reading faces in general.
It's very much about little details, tiny changes around the eyes and mouth for example, which makes me wonder: If it doesn't come by intuition, are people with Asperger's then still able to learn to read faces in a good way by using their strength of looking at the details?

I got 1 of 10 on that thing. To me all of them looked like he was constipated..... go figure :mrgreen:

b9
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2016, 10:23 am

this could look to me like he has a major irritation in his sinuses brought on by sniffing pepper spray.

this could look like someone who has an otherwise neutral facial expression whilst in the act of accelerating downward about 2 seconds after being dropped, like in a fast moving descending elevator in the burj dubai building.
this looks like it could be the result of the deceleration he experiences on his still neutral facial expression as the lift slows to stop at the first floor.
i can not post any more pics because i will be flagged as spam, but this is enough to show that in my mind, any facial expression can mean anything.

AnaHitori
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2016, 11:06 am

Schlumpfikus wrote:
I mean, does someone look shocked or surprised? Well, if they are being told they are fired from their job I'd go for shocked, and if they are being told they've won a million dollars I'd go for surprised. When I don't know what has happened before I can't tell for sure, but then again I'm sure no one can (is the person silently sitting there and staring at the table bored, tired, having a headache or sad because he just broke up with his girlfriend, who knows?).

Yeah, context really makes a difference.

ouroborosUK
Toucan
Toucan

20 May 2016, 11:38 am

I used to think I didn't have much of a problem reading facial expressions.

Then, shortly after I was diagnosed, I did a few online tests. My score was miserable. I couldn't recognize fake smiles, tell disgust from sadness, etc.

I think I know what a happy face, a sad face, a surprised face, etc. look like and can correctly infer other people's general mental state if they express it, but if anyone is trying to be misleading or conceal his/her emotions I don't detect it. It's quite distressing in some contexts, because I see some people smiling and acting as if they were happy while at the same time speaking in an odd, wrong way. In such condition I tend to focus on people I know and try to get them to tell me what is going on emotionally, because I can't really make sense of it by myself.

A bit obsessed with vocabulary, semantics and using the right words. Sorry if it is a concern. It's the way I think, I am not hair-splitting or attacking you.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2016, 5:55 pm

In short, it's a definite yes, but generally they aren't anywhere near as good at doing it as the general population.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2016, 6:24 pm

I got 6/10 on the quiz.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2016, 8:37 pm

AspieTurtle wrote:
Schlumpfikus wrote:
I guess those would be particularly difficult for someone to recognize if they're not good at reading faces in general.
It's very much about little details, tiny changes around the eyes and mouth for example, which makes me wonder: If it doesn't come by intuition, are people with Asperger's then still able to learn to read faces in a good way by using their strength of looking at the details?

I got 1 of 10 on that thing. To me all of them looked like he was constipated..... go figure :mrgreen:

I struggled with that test too. It made no sense to me. I felt like a 14-year old taking a test meant for college seniors on a topic she knows nothing about.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

alk123
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 May 2016, 10:17 pm

Schlumpfikus wrote:

Got 6/10.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2016, 11:51 pm

I scored a 4/10 on the quiz.

I can read some of the basic facial expressions, but some expressions look very similar to me even though they have completely different meanings. I mean, I can't really tell the difference between a disgusted facial expression and a confused expression, or see the difference between a shy expression and a mischievous one.