Page 2 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Zizu58
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 May 2016, 3:23 am

Minervx_2 wrote:
Generally, I don't tell people. It's not really their business. My general philosophy on this, for myself, is that I try to act appropriately in social situations so it's not really an issue what my diagnosis is. With close friendships and relationships, I would tell them about my diagnosis but I wouldn't make a huge deal about it. I feel like my autism is a part of who I am, but it's not who I am.

I have mixed feelings .

I work with teenage autistics so I felt kinda obliged to advise my boss that I had / was Aspergers and that went well.

I also told my immediate family and a few friends and that hasn't gone too well .
A couple of people seem to use it against me or try to belittle me somewhat ( hard to explain with words ).

A couple of family seem to be in denial , maybe thinking its a negative on them !?

Jack184
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 May 2016, 7:02 am

It's very rare that I tell people. Most of my friends, people I've known for years, I haven't told. Although recently I did work up the nerve to tell one very close friend. It was really nerve-wracking for me, but ultimately, I'm glad I told her. Her brother has it as well, so she was as understanding and accepting as anyone ever could be.Sometimes I hate having to try so hard to hide my Asperger's. Usually I don't tell people though, just because I'm sort of worried about how they would see me if I did. I guess I want to feel like I'm on equal footing with them, or something. Sometimes, it's annoying, though. It bothers me that I feel like I have to hide something because I don't want to be seen as somehow inferior.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2016, 7:27 am

Quote:
Do you tell people you have Autism?

nah. i let them think that they're the ones who are at fault

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2016, 8:42 am

I like to tell people to shatter they're stereotypes. I often do it on Multiplayer video games.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2016, 8:46 am

StarTrekker wrote:
I am of the belief that prejudice and misunderstandings revolving around autism will only be solved when the general populace becomes more aware and accepting, and the only way for that to happen is for them to be made aware that we exist, and we are among them. Given this philosophy, I generally do tell people I have autism. All my friends and family know, as do my employers. All my professors at university knew, and I give lectures on autism every semester to college students taking abnormal psychology, so they all know. I have t-shirts, sweaters and pins which all say I'm on the spectrum, so strangers passing in the street know as well. I've even met a couple other aspies thanks to my shirts.

My most recent frustration has been concerning an upsurge in people calling me names like "weird", "nerd", "strange", "cute" etc. so I had a patch made that I'm going to sew to a baseball cap, which reads: "I'm not weird, nerdy, cute, strange, or stupid. I'm autistic, and I have feelings too." I think people sometimes get so caught up in the "abnormal" symptoms we're displaying, that they forget we're human too, and the words they use hurt.

Me to, especially people around my age.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2016, 8:48 am

Zizu58 wrote:
Minervx_2 wrote:
Generally, I don't tell people. It's not really their business. My general philosophy on this, for myself, is that I try to act appropriately in social situations so it's not really an issue what my diagnosis is. With close friendships and relationships, I would tell them about my diagnosis but I wouldn't make a huge deal about it. I feel like my autism is a part of who I am, but it's not who I am.

I have mixed feelings .

I work with teenage autistics so I felt kinda obliged to advise my boss that I had / was Aspergers and that went well.

I also told my immediate family and a few friends and that hasn't gone too well .
A couple of people seem to use it against me or try to belittle me somewhat ( hard to explain with words ).

A couple of family seem to be in denial , maybe thinking its a negative on them !?

That happens quite a lot, it either goes well, you need to be open about it as much as possible when they have known you a while it can be hard, but that is a bad situation

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2016, 8:48 am

No, because of the bad stigma that's somehow attached to it which depresses me.

I am not a textbook Aspie, so I can get away with saying that I just have one of my co-morbids, like ADD or anxiety disorder. That usually covers me because I'm too odd to pretend I'm completely NT, but not odd enough to need to announce out my ASD.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2016, 5:27 pm

Some of my neighbors and family friends already know, so I don't bother much with telling people.

Brittniejoy1983
Toucan
Toucan

25 May 2016, 8:45 pm

I try not to. But I lack a filter at the best of times, and at the worst of times I tend to have an audible dialogue of any and every thought that passes through my head. Since I'm newly diagnosed and am analyzing how it is/does/has affected my life, when I'm stressed, it tends to come babbling out.

My husband, and some family, is the only negative reaction that I've had. My mother in law said she had to add me to the list of people that she has to deal with that are mental/have mental problems. My husband... that's a long story. He hasn't taken it well, refuses to learn about it, and prefers that I be medicated to 'make me normal'. However, today I told my dentist, who has been treating some pretty bad issues with my teeth as well as combatting an exceptionally strong phobia, and not only was she accepting (but she is AMAZING), but her tech chatted with me some, as her daughter is also autistic, and she suspects she has Asperger's instead of the ADHD they diagnosed with her with (but cannot medicate because she has hyperactive reactions to medications).

Alas, I ramble. But today was exceptionally stressful.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2016, 10:07 pm

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
If it's relevant.

A teacher, a doctor, a police officer, a psychologist, a employer: all NEED to know about my limitations because of meltdowns, shut downs, schedules, following orders, etc.

A close friend, family member or romantic Interest should know to help them better understand behaviour and such.

Everyone else doesn't need to know and probably wouldn't know what to do with that information (I learned that the hard way, my dad said "Emily don't tell your diagnoses to EVERYONE"

I'm kind of like this, but I'm even more narrow about who I'll tell. Friends, teachers (I told maybe one professor) and employers don't get to hear about it. They might hear about symptoms of it but I typically describe them like personality traits or without actually referencing autism.

It's not helpful to tell them, and not their business.

sonicallysensitive
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 May 2016, 10:12 pm

No.

But if they ask, I tell them I'm autistic.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2016, 11:29 pm

sonicallysensitive wrote:
No.

But if they ask, I tell them I'm autistic.

I generally won't. I've considered lying about it before, but never done so; I sometimes give vague answers or just outright refuse to answer instead. Now and then I'll actually answer in the affirmative, but it doesn't happen often.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2016, 11:35 pm

If I feel like it, its not something I mention when introducing myself but I'll mention it if I get to know people well enough so they have a better understanding of why I might be a little weird sometimes.

jciambor
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 May 2016, 12:42 am

I don't mention it unless I met someone who admits they are on the spectrum then I'd tell them myself because I see it as something we have in common. But to be honest where I work most people seem to accept Aspergers if someone has it, though the topic rarely comes up and I am able to socially blend in with everyone else.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2016, 5:09 am

I don't have to, it speaks for itself, loud and clear.

oh god that sounds a little too much like "autism speaks" :P

PatrickJane
Raven
Raven

26 May 2016, 5:56 am

If they ask, i do. If they don't, i assume they don't care.