is getting an AS DX this hard for everyone

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2007, 7:51 am

I asked my psych about the possibility, and wound up going round in circles talking because I couldn't get straight to the points of things I wanted to say, and he wound up asking me to imagine a little guy who went and saw a therapist every single day and never got a diagnosis, what I would think about that... I responded "it's nearly impossible. Even if someone is sad for a week out of their entire life, it seems there is a diagnosis for that even these days". He jumped around a lot, made me use my brain a lot, lol, and at the end of each scenario about this "highly unlikely imaginary man" (as he started calling it) I'd still say "but it's still not likely..."

I dunno what he's thinking now, but it scares me almost that he's talking about someone who never gets a diagnosis but is seeing a therapist for severe issues... I'm like "well where's that guy gonna go get actual support from someone who actually knows a lot about it if they can't say they were properly diagnosed? where does that leave him? stuck in the middle of the same old crap he's been going through for years, but nowhere to go with it, still..."

So I guess I'm seeing it might be rough to actually get across what I'm trying to tell him without talking about one thing for the entire session and not being able to get off of it-which probably tells him a lot anyway, but eh... which is going to cause problems unless he's noticing something that he isn't flat out saying already. I'll probably go nuts by the time it's over, lol.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2007, 8:02 am

It’s probably wise to assume that they know more than what they’re revealing – from questions my psychic asked me in the past I’m sure he thought I was possibly schizophrenic or autistic; sure I have “trouble” reading what people mean when it’s not stated explicitly, I can still deduce, compare and correlate with the information I’m given. When I told him I was autistic [through my own evidence based research] you could see something “click” that allowed him to…to reveal it to me.

Some don’t like labels for whatever reason….

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2007, 8:07 am

yeah, it's funny-I know people don't like labels and all, but I auto assumed my imaginary little friend with all the issues was just me... He probably was really really wanting me to realize it, but I can't relate to what he was wanting me to do, lol, so I just took it from my own ideas and applied it :P
It's very hard for me to understand why someone wouldn't-yet, I'm VERY interested to hear it, I just don't understand it even when told.

I figure he's probably reading a lot into what I say and all, even though I feel like I'm just going in and blabbing about nothing, at times, lol. My son however, talked to him for half an hour, and the psych told me on the way out to let him know how the center of autism was :P

newaspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 May 2007, 11:46 pm

Quote:
she was a psychiatrist, but she told me she focussed more on general practice and did not have a lot of experience regarding AS other than the DSM IV

Bizmack-

When I needed to find someone in my area, I found a local support group for autism/aspies by searching on the Internet and was able to contact someone via email. I was disappointed to find out they only cater to parents of (not adults with) but was able to contact them and get a referral to someone highly recommended who is very familiar with and treats a large amount of aspie/autism patients.

Perhaps you could try the same and get a more appropriate referral.

bizmack
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 May 2007, 3:19 am

When I needed to find someone in my area, I found a local support group for autism/aspies by searching on the Internet and was able to contact someone via email. I was disappointed to find out they only cater to parents of (not adults with) but was able to contact them and get a referral to someone highly recommended who is very familiar with and treats a large amount of aspie/autism patients.
Perhaps you could try the same and get a more appropriate referral.[/quote]

thank you i will try that...

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 3:20 am

Had one at eight.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 7:45 pm

bizmack, Baron-Cohen's team at Cambridge, last I heard, had gotten some scholarship monies to do free assessments on Aspergers. You do need a referal, so go back to that doc and get a referal to the B-C Cambridge team (provided they still are doing the free assessments). A friend of mine on my forum just got her diagnosis there the week before last. But call quick. Just look up Cambridge's number and then ask for the department where Simon Baron-Cohen is at and talk to the secretary or something.

It'll likely be a drive for you (I'm sorry, I don't know where Kent and Cambridge are in relation to one another). But it's free and they're very experienced in adult ASDs.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 7:56 pm

havent read through all this...

but did you ever have obsessions? you didn't mention that in your OP...

i myelf think i might be NLVD... if it werent for all my lil projects i always had going while growing up.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 8:26 pm

Sedaka wrote:
havent read through all this...

but did you ever have obsessions? you didn't mention that in your OP...

i myelf think i might be NLVD... if it werent for all my lil projects i always had going while growing up.

Approximately 40% of Aspies have comorbid NLD. So one doesn't discount the other. ;)

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/