Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

PeachCastella
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Jun 2016, 8:46 am

differenes between moderate and severe autism please? what are the differences? :heart:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 9:05 am

Usually, people with severe autism cannot speak--or do not speak enough to effectively communicate. Some people with severe autism, though, can communicate via typing on a computer. Many people with severe autism have trouble meeting their basic needs every day. Some, however, are able to meet their basic needs. Within severe autism, their autism is obvious. Unfortunately, many people with severe autism are so frustrated that they self-harm. They slap themselves on the face, bang their head against the wall, etc. There is absolutely no doubt that a person with severe autism has severe autism.

Moderate autism is less "severe" than severe autism. The vast majority can take care of their basic needs and to speak enough to communicate. They need a considerable amount of guidance in their lives, though. There is no way people with moderate autism can "hide" their autism. It is obvious, at all times, that they are autistic. In general, people with moderate autism appear less severely affected than people with severe autism.

yelekam
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 11:26 am

personally I disagree with the terms such moderate, severe, etc... SInce they imply some autistics are more autistic to others and that being more autistic means doing more poorly. And I disagree with the notion that autistic traits make people necessarily do more poorly.

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 1:35 pm

yelekam wrote:
personally I disagree with the terms such moderate, severe, etc... SInce they imply some autistics are more autistic to others and that being more autistic means doing more poorly. And I disagree with the notion that autistic traits make people necessarily do more poorly.

I agree with this sentiment.
Also, people can fluctuate on the spectrum- I know I do.
I was "severely" autistic as a child- for a few years, but they brought me around, and was more "moderate", and then whatever the heck I am now "high-functioning invisible autistic" or whatever. I have my non-verbal moments/days/time, but I, for the most part, am an autistic adult that goes to work, meets up with people, and is alive living. :lol: The functioning labels do change from time to time for me at least. However, I'm still the autistic person I am.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 1:55 pm

I do think sub categories have a place. If I fracture my leg in multiple places the experience is going to quite different then if I nick myself even though in both cases I will be in pain.

I have been not to label myself or to call myself a person with Autism enough times by people who are not autistic to want to call the people we are describing what they want to be called. A user whom I greatly respected called herself severe so that is what I use.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman