Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2016, 8:17 pm

Anyone have a low IQ? Mine is low-average at 92. I thought aspies were supposed to be smart and I am not smart at all. :(

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

BitterCoffee
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Jun 2016, 9:07 pm

I think its really media enhanced myth that people with Aspergers are geniuses and smart. There are some examples of famous people who are very smart, but overall we aren't like that. I had intellectual struggles such as reading late, being very poor at spelling, and getting bad grades in my late school years. It sucks but there is nothing we can do about it and its not anyones fault...

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2016, 9:15 pm

ocdgirl123 wrote:
Anyone have a low IQ? Mine is low-average at 92. I thought aspies were supposed to be smart and I am not smart at all. :(

I literally have NO idea what my IQ is. People tell me I can be clever and stuff- but i feel dumb as all f**k sometimes! :lol: but idk I've never really bothered to find out.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2016, 9:19 pm

Many times, people with autism don't do well on IQ tests for various reasons (e.g., concentration, incentive).

Many times, IQ scores for autistic people do not reflect the true intelligence of the person taking the tests.

Anyway: I did some research. 92 is not considered "low average." It's considered "average."

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 17 Jun 2016, 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2016, 9:30 pm

You can literally raise your IQ just by doing them over and over and over again all day, each and every single day, for a whole entire year or two. One man whose experiences I read about did this, and by the time he was done, because the questions/answers were always so similar between IQ-tests, his score eventually got up to something like 216, but he has a low opinion on IQ-tests, stating that a good IQ-test would consist of at least 200 hours worth of effort to complete, and that he's suspected some people with allegedly high IQ-scores to have cheated, due to the problems and equations being a real ass-buster. I haven't bother with IQ-Tests for a long time but the last one I took was around 20 years ago when the score was around 140.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2016, 9:35 pm

ocdgirl123 wrote:

Mine's lower than yours, but I'm smart in many different ways.
I'm just not smart at IQ tests.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2016, 9:56 pm

I'm curious - what areas does the OP have the most strengths in?

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2016, 11:08 pm

Technically, a low iq is near 70 and below. Anyway, my iq is around 87.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2016, 11:34 pm

Raleigh wrote:
I'm curious - what areas does the OP have the most strengths in?

Mostly verbal strengths. I took an IQ test but I didn't get my score, but from what I was told, I think it's somewhere between 90-100, maybe closer to 90.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

Andrew. A
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Jun 2016, 11:43 pm

I have no idea what my IQ is, nor do I want to know. Knowing my IQ would only put a certain on me dictating how I should or shouldn't go about my ways. If I had a high IQ, I'd become overly cautious about the things I do that don't require immense thought. But if I had a low IQ, I'd feel discouraged from trying to improve my intelligence, instead feeling like I'm just mediocre. That may sound a bit "black and white." But keep in mind, that's just coming from someone who is somewhat sensitive about his intelligence.

That being said, IQ tests usually aren't indicative how smart people are in the first place. Especially those who's brains don't cope well with the intense amount of concentration or critical thinking involved. Everyone's brains work differently.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2016, 12:40 am

Your IQ is not really a measure of your intelligence, it was designed to see if people needed extra help learning and the person who created it specifically said that it shouldn't be used to rank intelligence. It only tests in a few areas, and just because someone doesn't score very high in those areas doesn't mean that they are not extraordinary at other things. In the words of Einstein: "Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid".

And in case anyone cares, my IQ was measured to be 129. My 13 year old brother that will have a bachelors degree at age 16 (assuming he doesn't skip any more grades) has an IQ of about 105 and my 17 brother (with an IQ of about 120) and I both took the GED because we couldn't pass high school. My point is: intelligence isn't really linear and having a low IQ doesn't make you less intelligent.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2016, 1:49 am

92 is average. Mine was tested at 99 in the 5th grade. My verbal IQ was tested at 92. And while all three of my IQ scores were in the average range, my deficits still showed and my strengths.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

choklado
Raven
Raven

18 Jun 2016, 2:38 am

Depending on what test you took, 92 generally isn't considered low.
I often feel like one of the stereotypes of people with Asperger's is that most of them are either geniuses or child prodigies. Of course that's not true though...

josh338
Raven
Raven

18 Jun 2016, 5:23 am

I got a very low score on my first IQ test, administered at school in kindergarten, because I hated school and didn't do what the psychologist wanted me to. My parents then had me tested by a private psychologist and I got every question right. It's an indication of how variable IQ scores can be in Aspies. Our performance on these tests can be erratic for any number of reasons.

I don't think the issue is that the tests fail to reflect intelligence -- they are usually pretty good at providing a rough estimate of general fluid intelligence, which in studies has been found to correlate well with academic performance. But they are imperfect instruments for a number of reasons. For one thing, they don't for the most part separate more specialized facets of intelligence. They tend to fail the person who is strongly gifted in one area -- math, say -- but not in another -- say, language -- and that would include many Aspies -- the reason being that such a person will max out one area of the test, making it statistically invalid. And as my first eperience indicates they tend to fail when given to someone with emotional or perceptual difficulties. Someone with dyslexia for example would tend to score poorly even if they had very high intelligence. That could have bad consequences for a child who should be in a gifted and talented class, but is shunted into a regular class instead.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2016, 6:53 am

People with Asperger's do not do better at wechsler-bellevue IQ-Tests (i.e. your standard test)
however, at the Raven's Matrices test, a test designed to not use words and be cross-culturally applicable, we do better.
The raven's test is quite specific, it's deriving logical patterns from given graphics.
I did well on the wechsler-bellevue, but 15 points better on the raven's.

also, if it helps, I earn below average in my country.

lissa1212
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jun 2016, 1:36 pm

I think that with aspies that IQ test results should be taken with a grain of salt. When I took the WAIS a couple years back, my IQ came out to 100. If you were to look at that number alone, you'd think that I'm just a typical person. But my subtest scores ranged from the 2nd to the 98th percentile. So, not so typical.

I'm not sure if you've seen your subtest scores but I would recommend doing so to understand the overall score better. Again, with aspies, the overall score can be pretty inaccurate since we often struggle in some areas while being really gifted in others.