POLL: Do you believe that Alan Turing was autistic?

Page 3 of 7 [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

POLL: Do you believe that Alan Turing was autistic?
Yes 28%  28%  [ 10 ]
Likely 36%  36%  [ 13 ]
Maybe 22%  22%  [ 8 ]
Not Likely 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
No 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 36

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 7:41 pm

B19 wrote:
Perhaps the great and ancient New Zealand Kauri, the most famous of which is named after Tane Mahuta who is "The God of the Forest".

Hehe. :) It is a huuuge tree with dependent plants growing on it. Very cool.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 8:40 pm

You know, it's too bad I'm so old and close to death. I'd love to be around in the next, say, 15 or 20 years when they are not only able to pinpoint the specific genes for Autism but also go back in time and test bones of people who were suspected to be on the spectrum.

When I think about Brother Turing, I also think about Da Vinci. They have so much in common that it really makes you wonder. Both never married or had kids. Both had quite a few different skill sets which they were masters in. Both were incredible visionaries who spent an enormous of amount of time poring over books, theories and so on. Both got busted for sodomy. Both paid incredible attention to detail. They were both eccentric. Da Vinci, in particular, had an unusual sleeping habit where he slept only 2hrs/day by adhering to a strict schedule with series of 20-30 minutes of sleep every 4 hours of each day. Plus, who else can draw with one hand while writing backwards and upside down at the same time with the other?

Okay. I'm ready for the naysayers. Bring it on.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 9:04 pm

After googling the negative, ie Turing not AS - and scanning what came up, it was interesting to see that the nay sayers were a varied bunch of claimants, who were not on the spectrum themselves or if they were, were not disclosing it.

I suspect there may be a "paradigm" issue that complicates the title question this thread asks: Do You Believe That Alan Turing Was Autistic?

Now if you gained all your information about Asperger's Syndrome from the popular press, other media, public relations claptrap paid for by certain wealthy autism "charity" groups, films, tv etc - where portrayals are almost wholly founded on the doctrine of deficit, then it would be cognitively dissonant to view Alan Turing through the lens of Asperger's Syndrome. He represents outstanding accomplishment.

The ruling narrative of autism at the current time is the dishonest caricature of INABILITY, a step far beyond disability. Any evidence to the contrary is therefore abhorrent to the beneficiaries of the deficit paradigm, and the paradigm must either ignore or deny the evidence to maintain the power imbalance its foundations rest upon.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 10:00 pm

Given the vast amount criticism against those of us who dare self-diagnose I find it a little hypocritical that it's ok to retrospectively speculate on diagnosing others so long as they are celebrities or famous people?

In the same way attempts to claim Beethoven, Einstein and Newton as Aspies have been roundly criticised for lacking solid diagnostic evidence, Turing is no exception.

Evidence based research suggest Aspies are no more likely to be mathematical geniuses than the general population. I think much of this romantic notion stems from a need to find positive Aspie role models (which is fine). Hans Asperger's use of the term "little professors" may have also fed this distortion that Aspies are all geniuses. Asperger himself was using this language to pragmatically justify keeping these children alive during the Nazi genocide.

It's psychologically healthier to admire personal achievement in somebody diagnosed with Aspergers rather than trying to attribute qualities to famous people retrospectively. The latter is embarrassing...

B19
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 10:10 pm

Evidence for the "yes" side didn't originate from the ASD community (other than that of M Fitzgerald's). It stemmed from people who were related to or knew Alan Turing well, including members of his immediate family, his biographer, and (not related) Tony Attwood. When people on the spectrum agree with those perceptions, they face being slurred as embarrassing? What? Cyberdad, you are better than that :)!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 2:23 am

B19 wrote:
Evidence for the "yes" side didn't originate from the ASD community (other than that of M Fitzgerald's). It stemmed from people who were related to or knew Alan Turing well, including members of his immediate family, his biographer, and (not related) Tony Attwood. When people on the spectrum agree with those perceptions, they face being slurred as embarrassing? What? Cyberdad, you are better than that :)!

Hi B19, no I didn't intend to slur anyone. Just suggest that there are living Aspies who are better role models.

Some of the retrospective clinical observations made about Alan Turing, such as a high pitched voice, or working late at night don't really constitute diagnostic evidence. Can we really say that Turing having narrow interests when he actually influenced so many distinct fields? Was having only one friend at school a reflection of social impairment or just because he i) socially ostracised for being gay and ii) had so few peers who shared his interests?

B19
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 2:54 am

The evidence is far wider than that (in the primary sources), it's really very compelling and very extensive as a whole. However that isn't readily available nor collected for easy access in one place online.

Anyway, it's nice to see you back, it seems ages since you posted on WP, hope you have been having some good times and that your daughter is doing well (if my memory serves me correctly that you have a young daughter).

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 2:59 am

Yes she's 11 now and at school. She's actually a math whizz (ironic because of this topic) but unfortunately not developed social skills. Prefers imaginary friends to real ones.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 3:04 am

Well she sounds very like me at that age! (Sorry for this deviation off-topic AspieUtah) Cyberdad, just wondering, did your daughter participate in the recent maths competition for children at the University of South Wales? If so she may have met my 9 year old grandson there...

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 6:00 am

She had a panic attack prior to the sitting for the test and went and went and deliberately shared a snickers bar from a classmate and threw up (mild peanut allergy) and was taken to the school nurse (*shrugs shoulders*)

Anyway back to Alan Turing...

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 7:25 am

redrobin62 wrote:
You know, it's too bad I'm so old and close to death. I'd love to be around in the next, say, 15 or 20 years when they are not only able to pinpoint the specific genes for Autism but also go back in time and test bones of people who were suspected to be on the spectrum.

When I think about Brother Turing, I also think about Da Vinci. They have so much in common that it really makes you wonder. Both never married or had kids. Both had quite a few different skill sets which they were masters in. Both were incredible visionaries who spent an enormous of amount of time poring over books, theories and so on. Both got busted for sodomy. Both paid incredible attention to detail. They were both eccentric. Da Vinci, in particular, had an unusual sleeping habit where he slept only 2hrs/day by adhering to a strict schedule with series of 20-30 minutes of sleep every 4 hours of each day. Plus, who else can draw with one hand while writing backwards and upside down at the same time with the other?

Okay. I'm ready for the naysayers. Bring it on.

Unfortunately, Turing was cremated and his remains scattered in England somewhere. Unless his family retained a tooth, the quest of confirming his autism genetically is probably doomed. However, we might be able to confirm Broader Autism Phenotype in his living relatives, so there is hope.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 7:34 am

B19 wrote:
After googling the negative, ie Turing not AS - and scanning what came up, it was interesting to see that the nay sayers were a varied bunch of claimants, who were not on the spectrum themselves or if they were, were not disclosing it.

I suspect there may be a "paradigm" issue that complicates the title question this thread asks: Do You Believe That Alan Turing Was Autistic?

Now if you gained all your information about Asperger's Syndrome from the popular press, other media, public relations claptrap paid for by certain wealthy autism "charity" groups, films, tv etc - where portrayals are almost wholly founded on the doctrine of deficit, then it would be cognitively dissonant to view Alan Turing through the lens of Asperger's Syndrome. He represents outstanding accomplishment.

The ruling narrative of autism at the current time is the dishonest caricature of INABILITY, a step far beyond disability. Any evidence to the contrary is therefore abhorrent to the beneficiaries of the deficit paradigm, and the paradigm must either ignore or deny the evidence to maintain the power imbalance its foundations rest upon.

Well written! Yes, I found much about Turing from the vested interests who see inability in the shadows. Unless they could articulate a certain degree of clinical doubt, I moved on to better evidence. Though, I did seek compelling evidence of an alternative explanation. Turing's brother John, of course, had written extensively about him both apparently in favor of autism as well as against it favoring a "he was goofy" mantra. I still consider John's recitation in the 1960s and 1970s of Alan's various Kanner descriptors as a very telling sign that John was still haunted years after Alan's death about his behaviors, characteristics and comorbids. It seemed somewhat pathetic for John to still be trying to balance the extremes in Alan's life. And, in that emotional struggle, John tells us all we need to know about Alan's true nature.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 7:48 am

Yes, I think John must have undertaken a huge learning curve about AS, (didn't we all!) and as he gained more knowledge he re-evaluated past observations and experiences of his brother. His descriptions of AT's behaviours etc didn't change, his understanding of them over time did. He seems entirely credible to me. I think I read somewhere (?) that he has an AS child.. (and other children).

I recall how I had to re-evaluate behaviours et al across 5 generations of my own extended family (the two before me, the two after me, and my own) once the AS information was fully available to me. The history wasn't different, though my understanding of it, and the people who lived it, was immeasurably changed, in a deep and permanent way.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 8:49 am

B19 wrote:
Yes, I think John must have undertaken a huge learning curve about AS, (didn't we all!) and as he gained more knowledge he re-evaluated past observations and experiences of his brother. His descriptions of AT's behaviours etc didn't change, his understanding of them over time did. He seems entirely credible to me. I think I read somewhere (?) that he has an AS child.. (and other children)....

According to the genealogical web site, The Peerage ( http://www.thepeerage.com/p59780.htm#i597795 ), Alan’s brother, John Ferrier Turing (1908-1983), had four children with his first wife, Joan Humphreys: Inagh Jean Turing (1936-living), Shuna Turing (1940-living), Brian John Turing (1943-died in infancy) and Janet Ferrier Turing (1947-living), and another child with his second wife, Beryl Mary Ada Hann: Sir John Dermot Turing (1961-living).

I don't know that any of John’s children are autistic. Though, I wouldn’t be surprised.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 8:54 am

I wish I could trace my mother's genealogy as much as I trace my father's.

My mother's is obscure beyond my grandparents. And I didn't even know my grandfather on my mother's side.

On my father's side, it can traced, easily and substantively, to the 18th century in various European places.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 9:03 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I wish I could trace my mother's genealogy as much as I trace my father's.

My mother's is obscure beyond my grandparents. And I didn't even know my grandfather on my mother's side.

On my father's side, it can traced, easily and substantively, to the 18th century in various European places.

Did your grandparents (or great-grandparents) immigrate to the United States from another nation? If they migrated by ship, there are, just recently, a lot of web sites that list passenger manifests and the ships on which they traveled. Another good spot to check is the Ellis Island immigration records.

Once in America, they would become citizens and show up on documents like census records, probate records, church records and, in the 19th century, the occasional newspaper article. Small-town newspapers used to announce the arrival of immigrants.