Page 2 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 10:43 am

I went to the cinema alone almost every week during the summer months when I was single. Why not? Same reason I will go to hockey games alone: my wife doesn't really enjoy it and it costs us double the $$$. It would be great to have someone to go with all the time but I don't live in anyone's shadow.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

30 Jun 2016, 10:45 am

no point to me, would rather just sit at home and watch a movie if I am alone

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 10:46 am

We have to get those Maple Leafs in the playoffs!

Why haven't they had a good team in years?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 11:47 am

Is this about some social stigma you feel about seeing a movie alone?

Never occurred to me to even worry about that. See movies with friends, and w/o friends. All the same to me.
More fun with someone, or some bunch. But nothing wrong with catching the cheap matinee by yourself on your day off. But I dont catch movies much anyway.

I admit that nowadays you get a more "big screen" experience at home on the modern flat TV screens. But I dont have an up to date TV with that kinda screen (believe it or not) yet.

untilwereturn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jun 2016, 12:15 pm

Sometimes I go to a movie with my wife or less frequently with friends, but other times I go alone and have no qualms about it all. Earlier this week I went to see the RiffTrax MST3K reunion by myself, as my wife has no appreciation for sophisticated humor. ;)

I also dine in restaurants alone and feel no discomfort about the fact. I often go out for lunch and bring earbuds so I can listen to podcasts while I eat.

I don't see anything strange about doing things by yourself.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 12:22 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
We have to get those Maple Leafs in the playoffs!

Why haven't they had a good team in years?

That's easy: because they sell out no matter what. I love hockey but I'm not brainwashed: when my local team had a downright pathetic team I only went to a tiny handful of games that season and attendance plummeted. The next year they made big changes and attendance soared. I know when I saw the Oilers play it cost about $200 for a upper deck ticket AND I had to enter a lottery for the right to buy it. Given how awful they are (10 years out of the playoffs in a row), is it no surprise they had no motivation to improve?

I missed the fact I had no one to talk to at the movies (AFTERWARDS!!) but who cares what anyone thinks about going alone ? I'm sure plenty of people already think I am a weirdo so I don't have too much to worry about.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 1:06 pm

I went to the cinema alone once to see a Beatles film when I was about 12. In those days it was the only way to see a new movie, and the Beatles were my special interest at the time. I never really thought about finding anybody else to go with me. Not long afterwards I was about to do the same thing but my sister decided to come with me because she felt sorry for me. She needn't have, I was quite content as I was.

I never went alone again. The family had always gone to a movie occasionally and taken me with them, and eventually I got some friends and a girlfriend and we'd go and see horror movies together. I suppose I'd internalised the idea that it was strange to go alone.

These days I only go occasionally, mostly as a treat for my partner but I do get something out of it. It's easier and cheaper to stay home and watch a free download or a DVD. I liked the cinema 3D effects, but now I've seen them I wouldn't go very far out of my way to repeat the experience. I have less control over my physical comfort in a cinema. But I don't mind the cinema once in a while, it's a little harder for me but not dreadfully painful. And it does bring back good memories of when I was lucky enough to have a bunch of friends. Part of the fun was thinking "look at me, hanging out with my mates / girlfriend like a successful extravert."

lordfakename
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Jun 2016, 1:18 pm

I go to the cinema alone all the time. I tend to like to push my limits in what I see at the cinema and it's hard to find people who want to accompany me out of my limited circle of friends.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 1:34 pm

I've never seen a movie on my own. I should try it though. I need to get move comfortable going places on my own.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 3:05 pm

About half the times I go to the cinema, I go alone. I find it quite relaxing: you can go when you feel like it, or call it off if you're not in the mood. Walk into the cinema on the offchance there's something good on; avoid the "must-see" film you don't like the sound of. It's peaceful sitting there alone waiting for the film to begin, and the film feels like being lost in a good book. You lose the post-film discussion with friends, but it gains in immersiveness somehow.

The friend I do often see films with has such an appetite for cinema that she's been known to go and see three films on the same day, on her own, without feeling the least bit embarrassed.

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 3:32 pm

untilwereturn wrote:
Sometimes I go to a movie with my wife or less frequently with friends, but other times I go alone and have no qualms about it all. Earlier this week I went to see the RiffTrax MST3K reunion by myself, as my wife has no appreciation for sophisticated humor. ;)

I also dine in restaurants alone and feel no discomfort about the fact. I often go out for lunch and bring earbuds so I can listen to podcasts while I eat.

I don't see anything strange about doing things by yourself.

Was it funny? I'm thinking about seeing it.

I got over my discomfort about dining alone. If I feel lonely, I text or call someone. :)

I've never been to a movie or concert alone because I usually don't want to see movies quite that badly, and I don't drive so going to concerts alone isn't easy. If no one wanted to see Star Trek with me though, I would see that. Other reason is if a long-distance friend was excited about seeing a movie and wanted someone to talk to about it. I might go alone then.

BAP_Buddy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jun 2016, 7:08 pm

I've had fun times with friends going to movies, and it's helpful to have an extra person or two help carry the drinks and snacks, but about 95% of the time, I'm by myself. I kind of feel sometimes like you're getting the benefit of going out, but not having the trouble of interacting with people much, since you just get a ticket and food/drink and then sit by yourself in a dark room. Other times, with the other people reacting (like a comedy or horror, especially) to the film, it can feel like you're having a shared experience with other people, but again, without the stress of interacting with anyone.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 7:14 pm

all my life i've had to do everything alone. going to the cinema is no different. eventually i just stayed home and watched 'em at home alone.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 7:33 pm

Alone

Isn't that the only way?

:P

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 7:38 pm

Dillogic wrote:
Alone Isn't that the only way? :P

last two times I went, I was invited to go along with my bro in law who obtained free tickets and wanted to share them with someone.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 7:42 pm

Yes I go to the cinema alone I went a few weeks ago to see "Alice Through The Looking Glass" if I badly want to see a film I'll just go.