Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

LanguageMeterScholar
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jul 2016, 2:10 am

How would autism speaks be better if it was only run by people on the spectrum? Any ideas or opinions?

I am a language teacher and amateur language scientist, I want to create a theory of language that can benefit autism spectrum persons as well as those with other neurological conditions. Communication with the NT world can be difficult, and I would love to hear what problems you have had trying to deal with such problems. If you want to talk about it please contact me.

arachnids
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jul 2016, 6:16 am

I would think that they would be able to promote autism as a strength rather than being some dreadful disease which should be treated and bred out of society.

They (Autism Speaks) must consider us all to be - the R word - and that is very inaccurate and causes offence and pain.

I am strongly in favour of autistics being in charge of Autism Speaks. Bring it on.

I am not taking the damn Venlafaxine!

On Propranolol

I like cats, trees and spiders.

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act' George Orwell

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2016, 8:31 am

I think it might be a mistake to exclude all NT input from it. Maybe keep a couple of NTs on its governing council or whatever it calls itself.

arachnids
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jul 2016, 8:48 am

The NTs can make the coffee :lol:

I am not taking the damn Venlafaxine!

On Propranolol

I like cats, trees and spiders.

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act' George Orwell

randomeu
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2016, 9:27 am

arachnids wrote:
The NTs can make the coffee :lol:

haha yeah, and id be deliberately picky about how i like my coffee just to be annoying:

id like it with exactly 3cm of milk, no more, no less, 2 and a half sugars with approximately 2 seconds worth of chocolate sprinkles (i dont drink coffee, but that sounds complex enough haha)

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 174 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 30 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Officially diagnosed 30th june 2017

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2016, 9:42 am

I think a group like that should include information and support for both autistics and family members with an autistic in the family, and possibly also the education community. It really started (as far as I can tell) as a group to support parents of autistic children. All very well and good, but it was a little too successful in that aim and has become something of a menace because of it.

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2016, 3:48 pm

I don't think Autism Speaks represents autistic people at all. There is not one autistic person on their leadership board, and their goals are very questionable. It's called "Autism Speaks", but it would be more aptly named "NTs speak against autism" or something. It's almost as if a bunch of straight people got together and formed a group called "Homosexuality Speaks", and put all their efforts into finding a "cure" for gay people and researching ways to detect if an embryo is gay so that the baby can be aborted and never born homosexual. I really wish this would change and give people a better message about autism.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2016, 6:17 pm

It probably would be significantly better, mostly because the current people in charge of it have set the bar pretty low.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

LanguageMeterScholar
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jul 2016, 7:13 pm

Being autistic is very difficult to explain to a neurotypical person, it seems strange that they should consist mostly of NTs. I watched a vlog where the vlogger said that they spend most of their resources trying to identify autistic "genes" so autistic fetuses could be terminated in the womb. Do they put much of their resources into developing education resources for autistic children? To my mind that would be a big priority.

I am a language teacher and amateur language scientist, I want to create a theory of language that can benefit autism spectrum persons as well as those with other neurological conditions. Communication with the NT world can be difficult, and I would love to hear what problems you have had trying to deal with such problems. If you want to talk about it please contact me.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2016, 12:39 am

saxgeek wrote:
There is not one autistic person on their leadership board

Autism Speaks appointed two Autistics to thier board in December 2015. They are Dr Valerie Paradiz and Dr Stephen Shore. I know several autistic people that know Dr. Shore and they all hold him in the highest regard.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman