VASHiKARan M A G I C 7OV3 5pecshuL1STs AARe LIarz!

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 11:01 am

I hope they see this, and respond with something other than canned spam.

Why do they keep coming here to spam this website, only to get shut down?

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 11:07 am

Because bots are like sperm, they're easy to create, number in the millions, and if you're not wearing a condom (honeypot, hint, hint to devs for the upteenth million time) they're just gonna keep getting through. Don't blame the sperm for doing it's job, blame the operator for not wearing a condom.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 12:47 pm

I normally eat spam where I find it,

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 1:56 pm

Who is the OP addressed to?

to Alex?

He already knows about the problem.

To the spammers themselves?

Like the above poster said the messages are posted by bots. These Vashikaran whatever folks who employ the bots dont log in and read the General Autism page like you and I do. So theyre not gonna see your message.

You could read one of their spam messages here, and then look for the phone number they provide for your country (the USA) and then dial that number to actually talk to the folks behind the bots as if you were a prospective customer. Do that if you dont mind racking up a big phone bill.

Then you might (a) pretend to be interested in their services to string them along (waste their time, but also waste your own time).

Or (b) you might take a traffic whistle and blow it into your phone receiver to deafen the person on the other end just for sadistic malice.

Besides that there isnt much you can do.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 2:14 pm

I can never understand how they expect anybody to ever want to buy anything from them, given how obscure and semi-literate their spam is. Still, I guess if they shove their silly messages in the faces of the entire population of the world, there might be one or two idiots who would succumb to it.

Back on topic, I agree it's very strange how the WP goalkeeper robot can be so hopeless at screening out the obvious rubbish while simultaneously making it virtually impossible for so many legitimate posts to get through. Whatever criteria it's using to make its decisions, they clearly aren't working. A chimpanzee could do a better job.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 2:17 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Who is the OP addressed to?

to Alex?

He already knows about the problem.

Has he said so? Has he also said why he hasn't done anything about it?

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 2:33 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
Because bots are like sperm, they're easy to create, number in the millions, and if you're not wearing a condom (honeypot, hint, hint to devs for the upteenth million time) they're just gonna keep getting through. Don't blame the sperm for doing it's job, blame the operator for not wearing a condom.

Here's the Contact Page.
Alternatively Here is a Image of it at the bottom of the page. It the one with my Official Color, Pieplup Blue Arrows, Pointing at it, It's quite obvious.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 3:49 pm

Pieplup what kinda of computer do you use? That is the worse looking font I have ever seen in a screenshot.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 5:10 pm

No worries, people. This is just a small rant - not that the spammers, the moderators, nor even Alex will take much notice, if they take any notice at all - I just wanted to get the disappointment I felt when seeing nearly three pages of spam on this website first thing this morning, and no one seeming to be available to do anything about it!

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2016, 4:34 pm

If there was a way I could track down the spammers and physically put them in a room with one single representative of WP, Fnord would be my choice of representative.

He'd get to the bottom of things. Show them the error of their ways. Suggest some other way to make a living.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2016, 4:46 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:
Suggest some other way to make a living.

Might I suggest the salt mines? :twisted:

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2016, 6:02 pm

Fnord wrote:
I hope they see this, and respond with something other than canned spam.

Why do they keep coming here to spam this website, only to get shut down?

I'm convinced that it's a lame attempt at "Google packing". Google packing is when somebody tries to game Google's search algorithm so that all searches for a particular subject lead to a website or other service that the packer controls. Since Google ranks websites on how many other websites link to a website, people think that they can create phantom backlinks. In reality, Google's algorithm isn't that simple, and it is constantly being changed, partly to discourage shady characters from gaming the system. The "Google Guys" came up with the original algorithm as part of a thesis project at Stanford around 1996 or 1997.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2016, 8:04 pm

Funny thing is the only other forum I post to these days has the same problem.
That's Lord of the Rings Online, which is run by Turbine, a game developer corporation. And it's also affiliated with Warner Bros. One would think they would have enough developers on staff to squash little Baba Ji from spamming them so much...but no.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 12:11 am

dcj123 wrote:
Pieplup what kinda of computer do you use? That is the worse looking font I have ever seen in a screenshot.

I have a 15" laptop, It's not bad considering that I only paid 500$ (Which was paid for by the state) for it but it isn't fancy or anything. I also have a 1366x768 Monitor (Built in to the laptop). Thanks for asking. :wink:

HCHCHC
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jul 2016, 5:09 am

This isn't going to work. However in another forum I was on, they had posted a topic and then done a few more nonsensical posts on the topic to follow it.