Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2016, 5:51 am

NorthWind wrote:
obsessingoverobsessions wrote:
If they ignore me again I'll just panic and then start talking about my special interests like "did you know that *random fact about one of my special interests*" and then they'll just walk away.

Alright, this indeed might come across as awkward - especially if your panic is obvious. It depends on what kind of special interest you have though. If it's something a lot of people are interested in or facts a lot of people might find awesome it might be less awkward than if it is something only you care about or something that is considered uncool by many people your age.
Them walking away probably indicates that they think it's annoying or embarrassing or simply have no clue how to react to it.
Generally, it mightn't work well to start a conversation about a topic with someone they don't know anything about or don't care about. If it's a random fact about such a topic there really isn't much they could say in reply.
"Um, that's awesome." or "No, I didn't know that." is probably all they could reply and that wouldn't start a conversation. Alternatively they could of course throw another random unrelated fact at you about some topic that interests them if they're spontaneous.
Luckly I look like a ~7 Year old in real life, you don't know me. Carrying around Plush animals don't help people perceive age very well, :lol: Though I honestly don't really care what people think much. Since it is just their 'opinion', This is a very unpopular opinion. Though I'm like the meme Unpopular opinion puffin, so to express this I'm digging up one of the internet's hidden relics. Que the ~dramatic music~ Image Unpopular opinion piplup... Let's have some fun, with this. Image :lol:

gwentzlaff
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Jan 2019, 4:42 am

I definitely get ignored pretty often, so you guys are not alone.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2019, 5:54 pm

Yes but there are many things worse than getting ignored

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Jan 2019, 11:59 pm

I was ignored a lot because people thought I was ret*d & didn't know anything. I'll admit that I am ret*d compared to them but I did know some stuff but others just didn't give me a chance to show anything I would know.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2019, 11:03 am

I feel like I'm ignored, either that or the opposite - feeling like everyone's staring at me and judging. It's never a happy-medium.

My family often say hello to every stranger that passes them, or at least attempt to. But whenever I give a passing stranger a friendly smile, they either glare at me or turn the other way. It's not like I look like a creep or anything. I sometimes think it's because I'm unattractive, which hurts like hell because I try my best to look well-groomed and I didn't think I was that ugly. I know I look stupid, as in a person with low IQ, but people tend to socially approve low-intellected people more so than weird people (hence why people with Downs syndrome get more socially approved). So I just put it down to me being unattractive...even though I have a boyfriend.

BlueIris24
Raven
Raven

27 Jan 2019, 11:10 am

Avoid using all-or-nothing words like "everyone" or "nobody". You haven't talked to everyone in the world.

As far as your question goes, it could be that they're ignoring you because they're jerks and were probably never taught manners. Or, it could be that they're unaware of the basic social rule that if somebody greets you, you greet back.

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2019, 1:49 pm

I get ignored a lot even online, even on here or people will change the topic to something they understand.

Only people who don't do that are my family and only people who get me are various specific members of my family.

And sometimes it feels like they're doing it cos most of my family have bad hearing but if I repeat myself they reply.

I'd say, depending on the interest, struggle through school finding online forums (I sound old here, using social media) to discuss your interests. Anonymous forums back in the day were better - avoiding bullying - so forums/reddit is probably the right place. Then get yourself into job/hobby groups when you're older which are specifically geared around your hobby.

Then people will want to talk to you.

It's not you though, it's them. Most allistic/NT people are very hive mind and don't want to think about unusual
things.

At least me and you are trying to engage. My stepdad is obsessed with cricket, when I was a kid I asked him to explain the rules. I'm very good at sports theory and understanding the rules of games. He told me 'you wouldn't understand' :roll: No wonder he doesn't have anyone to talk to about it.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2019, 8:04 pm

Also, does anyone else get ignored a lot?

Yeah. I think I get ignored far less if I mimic affect. Vocal inflection relays importance to most people. Without it, you feel essentially silent.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2019, 8:05 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Yes but there are many things worse than getting ignored

Amen.

Caroline20
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2020, 10:02 pm

Yes, everybody else ignores my posts and my surveys. Everybody here thinks I'm the devil. It is hypocritical that students aren't allowed to ignore their teachers, but teachers ignore their students. I hate it when people ignore me when I'm talking to them. I don't like having autism. My 13-year-old brother, Leo, and my 15-year-old sister, Claire, ignore me. And Everybody else forces me to do things. Claire has been acting like the center of the world. She has been acting like everything ALL about her. When I talk about students in my grade level, she acts like it's all about her. If students aren't allowed to ignore their teachers, then, teachers shouldn't be allowed to ignore their students. Claire and Dorothy would just treat me like garbage when I ask them a question. When I ask Claire a question, she would just say something that makes me cry.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

08 Nov 2020, 10:54 pm

Caroline20 wrote:

Yes, everybody else ignores my posts and my surveys. Everybody here thinks I'm the devil. It is hypocritical that students aren't allowed to ignore their teachers, but teachers ignore their students. I hate it when people ignore me when I'm talking to them. I don't like having autism. My 13-year-old brother, Leo, and my 15-year-old sister, Claire, ignore me. And Everybody else forces me to do things. Claire has been acting like the center of the world. She has been acting like everything ALL about her. When I talk about students in my grade level, she acts like it's all about her. If students aren't allowed to ignore their teachers, then, teachers shouldn't be allowed to ignore their students. Claire and Dorothy would just treat me like garbage when I ask them a question. When I ask Claire a question, she would just say something that makes me cry.
I've had a couple teachers in elementary school who would sometimes ignore students when they raised their hands. A student could have his/her hand up for 5 minutes & the teacher would ignore them. Then another student would raise their hand for something & the 2nd one would get called on rite away. The 2nd student would make a comment or someone else in the class would make a comment without raising their hand about the 1st student having their hand up 1st & the teacher would angrily say/shout "I know" :wall:

My mom would sometimes complain about how I was quiet at family/social gatherings & how I needed to be more social but when I would try to talk at a gathering she would either cut me off or she would complain after about me talking too much or saying things I should not of said. I kind of quit talking at gatherings unless someone speaks to me or I need something. I figure if I'm gonna be damned if I do & damned if I don't, I might as well just do what's easier & more convenient for me & being quiet takes less effort.

I used to talk to myself a lot when I was little but my mom & my teachers & my classmates kept picking on me for it so I gradually forced myself to talk to myself a lot less. Part of the reason I would talk to myself is cuz others would not really care or bother to listen to me. Talking to myself caused people like my teachers & classmates to listen to me even less because they believed I was ret*d or special or crazy & I was disturbing/disrupting the class.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2020, 12:03 am

Attention is in short supply. There is a famous case of an architecture student sending a query to the creator of a skyscraper, setting off an emergency reinforcement project, but the engineers who were predicting the Challenger disaster were ignored.

I have won prizes for work involving propeller design, but I can't get anyone to scale it up to improve the mileage of ships by 20%, saving millions of dollars.

On the mundane level, I get ignored when I'm talking about things not of interest to others. I get attention if I'm interested in their concerns, sympathetic, and potentially helpful. Sometimes, I use humour to get attention, and other times, what I build turns out to be of more general interest.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2020, 3:12 pm

It's not your fault if you get ignored by other people.

Some people who don't understand other types of people (such as people on the spectrum, for example) ignore such types is IMO because they don't want to understand.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2020, 3:47 pm

I'd like to point out he irony that everyone ignored my post.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2020, 3:51 pm

I ignore over seven billion people constantly. It's easy.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2020, 4:26 pm

I get ignored, and mostly for these two reasons:

1. I make a fact-based comment that does not fit in with a someone's personal narrative and/or world view.

2. My suggestions involve more effort and/or personal cost than maintaining the status quo.

A third reason used to involve me openly obsessing about my hobbies and interests; but when I stopped doing that, people started paying a little more attention to me, unless I engaged in those two behaviors I listed above.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.