Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Uhura
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jul 2016, 5:36 pm

I read about them happening together. I have both. Seizures started when I was 22. I probably had AS all my life but wasn't diagnosed till in my 30s.

How does this fit in with internet sites/studies that talk about people on the spectrum also having epilepsy?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2016, 5:38 pm

There aren't that many Aspies, based on my impression, that have seizures.

Many people with Classical/Kanner autism have seizures, though.

Nice name: Swahili!

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2016, 5:52 pm

I had them until I had surgery to remove my non-working left hippocampus that caused them.

Uhura
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jul 2016, 5:57 pm

Nice name: Swahili![/quote]

I love the character. I love Star Trek.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2016, 6:02 pm

It means "peace," in Swahili, I believe.

How have you been able to adjust to life with Asperger's?

Uhura
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jul 2016, 6:15 pm

I've had AS for a long time. I was diagnosed over 10 years ago but have always known something was different and always known people seemed to have so much 'social energy' and some get energy from being around people.

So in that sense I never knew life without AS. Getting a diagnoses was one of the best things I have ever done fore me. It provided such a relief and sense of feelings being valid.

Most materials on epilepsy and AS aren't AS specifically. Most say ASD or Autism Spectrum disorder, so those of us with AS are included. Most that I have read anyway.
I have: AS, depression-nearly gone by now, a learning disability that I knew I had but wasn't tested for which increased depression until diagnosis of the LD, personality disorder, epilepsy, fibromyalgia (I got that about 5 years ago...so years after everything else.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2016, 6:31 pm

Yep...it's unfortunate that the autism research tends to make it seem as if people with autism have one set of symptoms--when, in actuality, it's a Spectrum.

Do you have any particular "special interests?"

Uhura
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jul 2016, 6:40 pm

Several but not intense interests. I like logic things but am lousy at them. I love family history but am not that good at that either. I love Star Trek and dolphins and rainbows. I read Star Trek more than watch it. I collect dolphin things but don't know much about them. And rainbows are just pretty.

Anyone else have interests that they collect figurines and things even though they don't know much about what they collect?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2016, 6:46 pm

I used to collect coins when I was about 9-10 years old; otherwise, I've never collected anything.

I like the Original Series (Star Trek) the best by far. "The Next Generation" is a distant second. I always thought that Janeway is a good captain.

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2016, 7:27 pm

i'm really sure that i have absence seizures. haven't been officially tested though. tried to ask the doctor once, she just ignored me....

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity

Uhura
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jul 2016, 7:41 pm

Simmian, you might want to consider getting another doctor. If that is something that happened recently that is, especially if it is still happening.

I love Voyager, although Janeway is a bit too trusting. Other than that a good captain.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 4:10 am

I used to have seizures when I was little but they eventually started becoming less frequent and severe. I still have shutdowns though where I basically go catatonic. There have been a few kids in my autism school with epilepsy.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 5:27 am

I haven't asked in a while: How's school coming along, Ezra?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 10:04 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I haven't asked in a while: How's school coming along, Ezra?

It went ok. On summer break now. Because of my illness that started last November, I was switched over to the online program my school offers and ended up staying with that most of the second semester.

bryanmaloney
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jul 2016, 11:17 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Yep...it's unfortunate that the autism research tends to make it seem as if people with autism have one set of symptoms--when, in actuality, it's a Spectrum.

No, we do not make it seem that everyone with ASD has one set of symptoms. Please quote the specific research papers in professional, peer-reviewed journals that make such claims or give such impressions.

bryanmaloney
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jul 2016, 11:20 am

The seizures may be related to an excess of the anabolic products of amyloid precursor protein processing. These anabolic metabolites promote neuronal growth and proliferation. An excess of the anabolic products is linked with increased risk of seizures in multiple conditions. Hippocampal shape perturbation is more common in ASD than in the general public and resembles that found in adults with MTL epilepsy.